• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan Takes On Wake Fans

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Will Andrews · Austin, Texas
Dan, why are you so scared of Ron Wellman? Jeff [Redacted] is a joke and every time you pretend to ignore this fact you lose credibility. Keep straddling the fence and collecting pay checks. Just don't expect any Wake fans to respect your efforts.
Reply · 2 · Like · Follow Post · Sunday at 4:39am

Dan Collins · Top Commenter · Franklin High School
This must be my good buddy Will Andrews. I say you must be a really, really good buddy to know me well enough to make the above observation. Clearly you know me well enough to assess my personal ethics and professional conduct. I don't remember it, but obviously you've been around the beat enough to know how I relate and deal with Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted]. And being such good buddies, I know you'd have to have read ever word I've written on Wake basketball these past three years. Beyond that you've been spot on in your interpretation of each one of those words, because after all, we do know each other so well.

Throughout this whole ordeal, I've taken great pains not to impugn the motives of others, allowing their opinion to speak for itself. Clearly you decline to afford that same consideration to others. In your zeal to make a point, you've attacked my personal values and professional integrity, in effect calling me a coward and shill. No, not in effect. That's what you've called me. So help me figure out how you know me all that well. Because best I can remember, we've never met.

You've asked me a couple of questions. Let me ask you a few.

Do you want to hear anything that I or anyone else wants to say on this subject, or do you only want to hear your own opinion parroted back to you? Can you accept, much less respect, any opinion other than your own? There comes a time in almost every debate where people quit listening to each other. Have you reached that point?

Can you be wrong in your assessment that Jeff [Redacted] is a joke? I'm not asking are you wrong. I'm asking, can you even entertain the notion that you might be wrong? And if not, do you possess the same level of certitude on all your opinions, or it is just on the subject of whether Jeff [Redacted] should be the head basketball coach at Wake Forest? As a personal aside, I've been wrong many times and I'm not the least bit bothered to admit it. I should write a blog sometime on all the things I've been wrong about. I just might.

And lastly, who are you to presume to speak for the Wake fan base, much less the readers of this blog? You must be a really important person. I'm trying to figure out why, being as obviously important that you are, I don't know you.

And you don't know me.

I won't say thanks for writing.

But I will say thanks for reading.
Reply · 1 · Like · Edited · Sunday at 11:09am

Bill Bason · Virginia Tech
Dan Collins going into impressive meltdown mode.

"And just over the past two or three weeks, I've noticed a real surge in the amount of comments that are coming in. I read, and appreciate every one of them.
If I'm going to ask your opinion, I should respect it." - Dan Collins. February 14th, 2013.

"I won't say thanks for writing" - Dan Collins. February 17th, 2013

Your WF-issued credentials may be safe, Dan... but what's the going rate in the newspaper industry for a beat writer who will not report on simple truths and who is fully willing to combat anybody in his audience with an opinion?
Reply · Like · Sunday at 4:15pm

Dan Collins
· Top Commenter · Franklin High School
Bill, by nature I'm the kind of guy who can get along with anybody who'll give me half a chance to. It appears you're not going to give me that opportunity. I regret that.

First off, nice set of rules of engagement I'm running into here. A reader calls me a coward and a shill, and I take up for myself. You call it combating or melting down, I'm calling it not letting a charge like that from someone who has never met me and apparently knows nothing about my profession go unanswered.

And truth is, I do respect Will's opinion. And I respect yours. You make strong, valid points, giving irrefutable facts that Jeff [Redacted] has not succeeded in his job as head basketball coach at Wake Forest. And I have absolutely no problem with allowing you or anyone to voice that opinion on this blog. Good for you. You're right. He has not. I know that as well as anyone, having had to sit through as many debacles (remember that word, I've used about three dozen times) as I have. It's been brutal for all involved.

What I don't respect is someone not respecting the opinions of others. I don't respect those who are so intractable and lost in their opinion that they just simply can't abide anyone who doesn't agree with them. And what happens then is things always seem to get stupid and ugly - people calling other people names, serving up the ridicule, assigning baseless motives in effort to discredit, lashing out at anyone who happens to be standing in the open, anyone who might have the audacity, not to say (gasp) temerity, to actually think they might see something in a different light.

How could they?

And I see it by the way from on both sides of the argument, from those (as few as they are, they do exist) who are equally adamant that Jeff [Redacted] is exactly the right man for the job. And when they resort to their frustrations in the same belligerent, regrettable fashion then they're equally as wrong.

Those who have read all my coverage of Wake Forest basketball (apparently you and Will have not) know what I'm about as a sportswriter. I'll allow my words to speak for themselves.

And seeings how you have yet to presume to speak for the Wake Forest community at large as well as the readers of this blog, I will ask you just two of the three questions I asked Will.

Can you handle any opinion besides your own parroted back to you?

Does your level of certitude extend to all your opinions in life, or only those pertaining to Wake athletics?

Great hearing from you.

Thanks for reading.
Reply · 2 · Like · Edited · Sunday at 5:13pm

Bill Bason ·
Virginia Tech
I've read every word you've published on Wake Forest Basketball, Dan. That includes your book. You're alienating the wrong people in an effort to shield the wrong people. In your profession, that's a cardinal sin. I haven't called anybody names here. In fact, I'd say I've gone about this in a fairly professional manner. With that being the case, would you like to compare MTOW's traffic to FireBz.com's? Winston-Salem Journal | JournalNow's editors may be interested in how much of a story lies in the truth you're not willing to tell.
Reply · Like · Sunday at 5:45pm

Will Andrews · Austin, Texas
I'm sorry Dan. I mistook this for an Opinion Blog. It is called "My Take" after all. But you are right.. Vanilla is good too.

My guess is that you are still on Double Secret Probation for your post about Dino's supposed ordeal (Yes, I have actually read every word that you have written on Wake basketball these past 3 years).
Reply · 1 · Like · Sunday at 6:09pm

Bill Bason · Virginia Tech
Will Andrews Fantastic (and appropriate) reference. Although at this point it feels that we're wasting daggers on a man already willingly on a sinking ship.
Reply · Like · Sunday at 6:28pm

Hey Will, Then that begs the question: If you've read my interview with Wellman, how can you accuse me of being scared of the man?
Let's put the cards on the table. You're not getting your own opinion parroted back to you, and you can't deal with it so you resort to baseless attacks on my courage and integrity.
And you still haven't answered my questions, and neither has Bill Bason.
Reply · Like · 4 hours ago

Bill, Thanks for the advice. It means so much coming from one with such vast experience in sports journalism. And again, you haven't answered the questions I posed to you.
Can you hear any opinion besides your own without going into attack mode?
Are you so sure in all your opinions in life?
Reply · Like · Edited · 2 hours ago

Last edited:
chill-l.gif

I don't get the baiting of Dan Collins. On the list of dudes to bait, there have to be better targets ahead of him.

Dan is setting himself up for this kind of shit by serving as beat-writer and doing editorial on his blog. Any other market would keep them separate. On another note, does any other NC paper cover Wake at all? I can just imagine a press conference of an awkward Buzz, Dan, and maybe somebody from WXII

Someone please tell me this is rock bottom...just tell me, I don't care if it's true or not.

I don't get the baiting of Dan Collins. On the list of dudes to bait, there have to be better targets ahead of him.

... From Dan's MTOW on February 14th:

Reading the comments sections, as well as way too many message boards across the internet has left me fascinated with human nature. A point I try to remember, as well as make, is that our views originate from different places. As a fan, you have all the latitude and liberties that I, as a professional sportswriter, cannot afford. Whether it should be that way doesn't matter. It is, so it needs to be recognized.

There is one trait that befuddles me, so I'm asking you to help me understand it. Why are everyone else's powers of clairvoyance so much stronger than mine?

Dan is setting himself up for this kind of shit by serving as beat-writer and doing editorial on his blog. Any other market would keep them separate. On another note, does any other NC paper cover Wake at all? I can just imagine a press conference of an awkward Buzz, Dan, and maybe somebody from WXII

Agreed. I don't think we get much coverage from papers, but that's not a really big deal. When we are good we are in the news and on ESPN, and that is really the best exposure for recruiting, etc. I can't tell you the last time I've read anything interesting on the sports page. Most of us just check the boards for info, now.

Am I the only one who didn't think his initial response was all that bad? It could've been much worse, based on how you guys reacted to it.

And agreed that it's kind of pointless to bait him.

Dan is a reporter and not a columnist. However, his blog places him in the unfortunate position where he feels coerced to express opinions. Sure, other reporters have blogs, but they usually just serve as an additional news source.

"My Take On Wake" obviously implies it is a place for his opinions. As a Wake reporter it would be really strange for him to rip the very programs he is covering on that medium.

Ideally the Journal would have someone else running an opinion blog on Wake Forest sports. But this is the Winston-Salem Journal we're talking about.

Or basically, what BDL said

Seriously? All sorts of beat writers have blogs. Dan could probably handle some of this trolling with better aplomb, but he's an old-school reporter. Dealing with trolls isn't his forte.

VT and the other guy are acting just as badly in Dan's office as they do on this board.

This is Dan's job and they are trying to insult, bait and harm him at it. Real classy. Not surprising but real classy guys.

He can't say what he should say to them or he'd lose his job.

VT knows this and shows his true colors.

VT and the other guy are acting just as badly in Dan's office as they do on this board.

This is Dan's job and they are trying to insult, bait and harm him at it. Real classy. Not surprising but real classy guys.

Says the guy who threatened to contact LK's employer...

Also, the comments section of a blog is not Dan's office. Sure, the internet is serious bizness, but it's not an office.

Last edited:

+1

Dan is a reporter and not a columnist. However, his blog places him in the unfortunate position where he feels coerced to express opinions. Sure, other reporters have blogs, but they usually just serve as an additional news source.

"My Take On Wake" obviously implies it is a place for his opinions. As a Wake reporter it would be really strange for him to rip the very programs he is covering on that medium.

Ideally the Journal would have someone else running an opinion blog on Wake Forest sports. But this is the Winston-Salem Journal we're talking about.

Or basically, what BDL said

I think I was just spoiled with a really good paper in the St. Pete Times growing up.

My parallel is the Skip Holtz firing at USF (six months after signing a 5-year extension FML)... When you have multiple sunday columns on the front page of the sports section of the largest paper in Florida calling for a coach to be fired it opens peoples eyes and puts a huge amount of pressure on the AD.

But you sure as hell don't have your beat-guy touching that kind of stuff out of fear of losing access.

Dan got himself into this.

Back