• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Disney #hottake - Make sure you have your MMR before you go to Disneyland!

Jiko is good stuff. You're there with a bunch of people vacationing at WDW, so the fine dining atmosphere is reduced a little bit, but the food is good. If you're not staying at Animal Kingdom, it's a trek to get to.

LC, I cleaned out my Inbox. Please resend you PM.

Some info about the new Frozen attractions at Epcot Norway.
http://dads-blog.dadsguidetowdw.com/new-frozen-plans-epcots-norway-pavilion/

Basically, they're building a new building for an Elsa, Anna, Olaf meet and greet. The new Frozen attraction will use the same track and boat as Maelstrom. So it's just the other stuff that's changing.

Seems like they could split the difference and go something similar to the Mexico boat ride and have Elsa, Anna, and Olaf narrate a tour of Norway. Instead, they're going all in on Frozen. Oh well.

Ph, you're right, they should have just put the Frozen folks into the Norway ride (Marshmellow could push you over the cliff...).

That's basically what they're doing except it's presumably going to be all Frozen and no Norway.

Maybe the video at the end will be the Frozen bonus features where they talk about how they based Arendale on different parts of Norway.

I really liked Maelstrom, but I'm sure the Frozen ride will be well done. Pooh's ride is well done and it replaced my favorite of all time.

I really liked Maelstrom, but I'm sure the Frozen ride will be well done. Pooh's ride is well done and it replaced my favorite of all time.

The playground in front of Pooh is pretty cool. My oldest once spent 90 minutes just going the bee rollercoaster when he was about 2.

Just want to check in and thank y'all for all the info on this thread. We're on our second day of 5, about to make our second trip to Magic Kingdom of the day to use our fastpasses for Pirates, Peter Pan (newly updated waiting area as of last weekend), and the Electric Light parade. Dinner is at Tony's Italian.

We're at the Contemporary Garden Wing, and unlike my life, actually got lucky and got a corner room, which is 50% bigger than the others. Has a walk-through bathroom with separate shower and tub, 50" plasma, and chill corner.

Just want to check in and thank y'all for all the info on this thread. We're on our second day of 5, about to make our second trip to Magic Kingdom of the day to use our fastpasses for Pirates, Peter Pan (newly updated waiting area as of last weekend), and the Electric Light parade. Dinner is at Tony's Italian.

We're at the Contemporary Garden Wing, and unlike my life, actually got lucky and got a corner room, which is 50% bigger than the others. Has a walk-through bathroom with separate shower and tub, 50" plasma, and chill corner.

That is where we are staying this summer. I think we were able to request a corner room, but not sure.

You won't be able to see the new Peter Pan waiting area with a Fastpass. Not sure how the Fastpass for the parades work but there are plenty of good places to view them.

Just got back from 4 nights in Disney. My daughter played in a soccer tourney at the ESPN facility. That place is enormous. The parks were a total zoo. SO so crowded. We ate at Tusker and it was indeed good. Also at at two places in GF. One was the buffet with Cinderella etc and it sucked ass. Do not go there.

I was at Magic Kingdom on Friday. It gets much worse than that.

I was there Saturday and you could hardly walk down the street. There was an hour wait to get to through the fastpass registration lines at 2pm. It was pretty crowded.

I'll let my wife know. She was insistent in going on Friday evening and regretted it when Saturday turned out to be a very nice day. The Fastpass+ lines suck. I like it overall, but I can imagine the pressure to add on Fastpasses for vacationers.

On the most recent Nerdist podcast, they plugged Jungle Crews - a podcast where these guys interview current and former Disney employees and get stories. Sounds like interesting content and would definitely be of interest to those in this thread for different reasons.

Stitcher
iTunes
Podbean
Facebook

Cool. May check it out. Two years ago, we were at Epcot and happened to sit at a table waiting for the fireworks and drinking margaritas with a guy and woman who worked together at Disney about ten years before. This was the first time they had seen each other since. They had some great stories and insights.

I was at Disney over Memorial Day for our annual trip before our season pass blackout dates. Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, same place we stayed last June. Probably the best priced resort for what you get. I highly recommend it especially if you have small kids.

A few notes:

There's a lot of construction at Animal Kingdom. The new Avatar Land and new Rivers of Life night time show are going to be huge. The new Africa marketplace area is nice enough and adds to the food options.

Hollywood Studios is in trouble. It's hardly worth going. It has the few great things it has, but don't plan on making a day of it. I heard a rumor yesterday that there are no plans for a new Star Wars Land. The rumor is that Disney was waiting to to see how Universal's Diagon Alley went before going forward with their plans. The first draft of plans were rejected by the board sometime last year for not being big enough. The second draft of plans were rejected sometime in the last two months for not being competitive enough with Harry Potter. So it's back to the drawing board. They haven't broken ground on anything. That means it could be up to 2020 or beyond before they do a Star Wars Land. They could be several movies in before there's anything in the parks.

Apparently, the price tag for Fastpass+, Magic Bands, and My Disney Experience was over $2 billion. That has hurt Disney's ability to make improvements to the parks. The new system is nice and convenient, but the old system wasn't broken.

Here's a link to an interesting podcast on Disney World vs. Universal featuring a guy who wrote a book on the two parks. Good discussion on their respective philosophies.
http://www.studioscentralradio.com/shows/Episode_1462_-_05-27-15.mp3

The other big Disney news (and bad publicity) is that they're considering a new tiered ticket pricing model. Basically weekdays and a few slow weekends would be bronze pricing ($105, the current price). Weekends in non-peak times of the year would be $115. Peak season (summer, Christmas, Easter) would be $125.

I was at Disney over Memorial Day for our annual trip before our season pass blackout dates. Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, same place we stayed last June. Probably the best priced resort for what you get. I highly recommend it especially if you have small kids.

Down at the river side / Down at the river side / Down at the riiiiiiiiver siiiiiiiide

Went to Legoland today for my 6 year old's second birthday wish. Had a great time as usual. We stopped by the new Legoland hotel on the way out. I can only speak for the lobby, but it was a nice kid and family friendly set up. Two building and play areas. A bar next to one of the play areas in which they had hotel staff playing games with kids. Parents were drinking while their kids were entertained. A master builder workshop area in which kids were learning building techniques. A very reasonably priced buffet restaurant with a carving station and nice selection of meats. Nice, but small pool area with a nice view.

It takes 2 days to do Legoland because there are a lot of attractions and many of the activities are open-ended. If you're coming to the area and you have Lego fans in the 3-9 year old range, it's worth a trip and a stay at the Legoland Hotel.

Back