• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

That's pretty awesome.

Its not a Star Wars area revamp, its a totally new area. That park is going to be totally different when this is complete, maybe even a park people really want to go to. The only question is how long will it take Disney to complete this. They are notoriously slow, but all indications are that they better do something in a hurry here.

Star Wars will be 14 acres, which is the largest single land renovation in Disney history. Meanwhile, Toy Story Land will be 11 acres. The entire Hollywood Studios park is 135 acres, meaning in essence, one-fifth of this park will change with this announcement. And something tells me this isn't going to be all of it, although the remainder will probably be 5-10 years down the road.

Its not a Star Wars area revamp, its a totally new area. That park is going to be totally different when this is complete, maybe even a park people really want to go to. The only question is how long will it take Disney to complete this. They are notoriously slow, but all indications are that they better do something in a hurry here.

Star Wars will be 14 acres, which is the largest single land renovation in Disney history. Meanwhile, Toy Story Land will be 11 acres. The entire Hollywood Studios park is 135 acres, meaning in essence, one-fifth of this park will change with this announcement. And something tells me this isn't going to be all of it, although the remainder will probably be 5-10 years down the road.

Yeah. I'm sure somebody will publish a probable new Hollywood Studios map, but the new areas will basically be everything behind Star Tours, Streets of America, and Toy Story Midway Mania on the other. This needs to happen. I wouldn't recommend anybody spend money on a full day at Hollywood Studios unless they want to do Toy Story, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, and Star Tours multiple times and see Fantasmic at the end of the day. (Note: That does sound like a great day to me, but not for people with small children.)

I'm excited, but skeptical for two reasons. First, New Fantasyland is underwhelming. Under the Sea hasn't been popular since a few months after it opened. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is decent and will settle down to a 30 minute wait within a year. Less than 3 years after it opened, New Fantasyland is one of the least trafficked areas of the park. The best thing they did was add a Dumbo and move it to a better area. I suspect the best part of Toy Story Land will be the third track for Toy Story Midway Mania.

Second, Toy Story Land will only have two new rides in 11 acres of space. Both rides sound fine, but Hollywood Studios needs more rides. Star Wars Land only has two new rides for 14 acres of space. That's not enough. Avatar Land will only have two new rides as well. All that aside, New Fantasyland got major changes to the original plan after it was announced, I wouldn't be shocked to see them add something before long. I've always thought something like Astro Orbiter in Tomorrowland with alternating X-Wings and TIE Fighters would be cool and simple for Star Wars Land.

Anyway, I'm still going to be going. My boys are already into Star Wars and this all should be in place by the time they're 9 and 6 which is perfect.

Another thing that is interesting is that much of the revamp will be centered around the new trilogy of films in a new planet we've never seen before. This is a huge sign of confidence, but a huge risk that they haven't done before. Disney has halted plans around several movies that bombed, most recently John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland. Going all in on three new Star Wars films and two new Avatar films is very risky. Of course, on the flip side, if they had built New Fantasyland around Tangled and Frozen, it would be huge.

Yeah. I'm sure somebody will publish a probable new Hollywood Studios map, but the new areas will basically be everything behind Star Tours, Streets of America, and Toy Story Midway Mania on the other. This needs to happen. I wouldn't recommend anybody spend money on a full day at Hollywood Studios unless they want to do Toy Story, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, and Star Tours multiple times and see Fantasmic at the end of the day. (Note: That does sound like a great day to me, but not for people with small children.)

I'm excited, but skeptical for two reasons. First, New Fantasyland is underwhelming. Under the Sea hasn't been popular since a few months after it opened. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is decent and will settle down to a 30 minute wait within a year. Less than 3 years after it opened, New Fantasyland is one of the least trafficked areas of the park. The best thing they did was add a Dumbo and move it to a better area. I suspect the best part of Toy Story Land will be the third track for Toy Story Midway Mania.

Second, Toy Story Land will only have two new rides in 11 acres of space. Both rides sound fine, but Hollywood Studios needs more rides. Star Wars Land only has two new rides for 14 acres of space. That's not enough. Avatar Land will only have two new rides as well. All that aside, New Fantasyland got major changes to the original plan after it was announced, I wouldn't be shocked to see them add something before long. I've always thought something like Astro Orbiter in Tomorrowland with alternating X-Wings and TIE Fighters would be cool and simple for Star Wars Land.

Anyway, I'm still going to be going. My boys are already into Star Wars and this all should be in place by the time they're 9 and 6 which is perfect.

Another thing that is interesting is that much of the revamp will be centered around the new trilogy of films in a new planet we've never seen before. This is a huge sign of confidence, but a huge risk that they haven't done before. Disney has halted plans around several movies that bombed, most recently John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland. Going all in on three new Star Wars films and two new Avatar films is very risky. Of course, on the flip side, if they had built New Fantasyland around Tangled and Frozen, it would be huge.

I gotta say, it's not the same walking through Cinderella's Castle and not have Dumbo right there to greet you. was a rite of passage as a kid to hightail it through Main Street USA, through the castle, and get in line at Dumbo.

Looks like we're going to be at Disney for a few days in mid-October. I'm planning on playing golf while we're there. Which of the Disney courses have any of you played and would recommend?

I gotta say, it's not the same walking through Cinderella's Castle and not have Dumbo right there to greet you. was a rite of passage as a kid to hightail it through Main Street USA, through the castle, and get in line at Dumbo.

True. One of my best Disney memories was riding Dumbo with my now wife the first time I went as an adult during a Very Merry Christmas event. No wait. End of a magical night. But now I have great memories like last night when we hung out in the Dumbo playground during an evening downpour. It was a great idea until my 3 year old said he had to go to the bathroom, so I gave him the umbrella and we walked to the bathroom.

Was listening to Jim Hill and Len Testa today and Jim claims there will be more that Disney haven't announced as of yet. I haven't listened to the pre-announcement podcast yet, but apparently Jim predicted pretty much everything that was announced. In the post-announcement podcast, Jim claims there will be a Pixar Land, stretching up to where the Little Mermaid and Disney Clubhouse theaters currently are. He says the old plans (from around 2008 if I recall correctly) for the Monsters "Doors" roller coaster are back on the drawing board.

Jim states this announcement was typical Disney, they never give too much out. I could see them getting Toy Story Land up and running, then opening some of the Star Wars Land, then announcing the additional Pixar Land.

He also stated that Disney has hired the guy that was behind all of the design of Harry Potter at Universal to lead the Star Wars development. The two of them got really excited by this guy being in charge.

Link to Hill and Testa? This isn't in the Unofficial Guide Podcast. I didn't figure they'd have something up already. The Monsters Inc. coaster would be a game changer. I'd love if it was a stand up coaster, but I seriously doubt Disney would do that. I can't think of a Pixar scene that screams ride as much as that.

Interesting news about Disney hiring the Harry Potter guy. In a podcast about the development of Animal Kingdom, Hill said that Universal hired some of the people who planned the Beastly Kingdom that never happened and they did the dueling dragons coaster at Universal.

The last Hill and Testa podcast I listened to strongly suggested that if Inside Out was a hit (which it was) that it would replace Journey to Imagination (which would be great).

Link to Hill and Testa? This isn't in the Unofficial Guide Podcast. I didn't figure they'd have something up already. The Monsters Inc. coaster would be a game changer. I'd love if it was a stand up coaster, but I seriously doubt Disney would do that. I can't think of a Pixar scene that screams ride as much as that.

Interesting news about Disney hiring the Harry Potter guy. In a podcast about the development of Animal Kingdom, Hill said that Universal hired some of the people who planned the Beastly Kingdom that never happened and they did the dueling dragons coaster at Universal.

The last Hill and Testa podcast I listened to strongly suggested that if Inside Out was a hit (which it was) that it would replace Journey to Imagination (which would be great).

When I first saw that movie and that scene, I remember turning to my wife and saying "that's gonna be a ride at Disney in a couple years". Obviously I was off by a decade or so, but maybe its time will come.

Hill and Testa do their podcast through iTunes but also put up special podcasts on disneydish.bandcamp.com. This podcast is on that website. Just finished listening to it and they said Cars is coming to Florida. Monsters "Doors" isn't a guarantee but there will be more than Cars.

Said expect to see Toy Story Land 2018-19. But since a lot of the de-construction will be done during Toy Story, the remainder of Pixar shouldn't take that long. Of course, the timelines are guesses as no one is talking timeline at Disney.

the Ratatouille scene through the Paris sewers. and they could do some kind of UP floating house something or other.

the Ratatouille scene through the Paris sewers. and they could do some kind of UP floating house something or other.

Apparently, the Wilderness Explorers program at Animal Kingdom is popular. There always seems to be a line to greet Russell and Dug as well. Hopefully Animal Kingdom can get an Up ride like that.

The Ratatouille 3D ride at Disneyland Paris is similar to what you're talking about, but in a kitchen.

Hill and Testa do their podcast through iTunes but also put up special podcasts on disneydish.bandcamp.com. This podcast is on that website. Just finished listening to it and they said Cars is coming to Florida. Monsters "Doors" isn't a guarantee but there will be more than Cars.

Said expect to see Toy Story Land 2018-19. But since a lot of the de-construction will be done during Toy Story, the remainder of Pixar shouldn't take that long. Of course, the timelines are guesses as no one is talking timeline at Disney.

Thanks. Here is the link to Hill and Testa. I'm listening now.
http://disneydish.bandcamp.com/track/d23-saturday-news-star-wars-toy-story-lands-and-more

Exciting stuff. Looks like Cars Land will be in the back where the stunt show is and Pixar Land (or Place) will be where the Magic of Disney Animation and Voyage of the Little Mermaid are. That's huge. Pixar and Star Wars are two of my favorite things.

Yeah, I also listen to the DisBoards podcast and the main guy there once said he and his partner studied terrain one night and determined the current size of Cars Land in DCA is the exact size of the stunt show out to Streets of America. Of course everyone is saying it will have to be indoors in Florida because of the rain so that would mean building an actual building in that area. As you said, exciting stuff. Looking forward to seeing that park develop.

My sister works in Hollywood Studios at Tower of Terror and said the park admin rolled out a red carpet and had Hollywood themed Rice Krispie treats for the employees when they showed up to work Sunday (the day after the announcement). Sounds like there is a lot of excitement there. Let's just hope we start seeing some progress so the excitement doesn't die.

My sister had also told me in June that a lot of work back by the old props tour had already been done. I'm guessing this is prep work for the beginning of Toy Story Land.

Ok. I knew you were hardcore. I remembered you were an Annual Passholder as well.

I've heard that it will be a smaller Cars Land. The elements of the Mater ride are in the aliens ride that was announced.

The Toy Story concept art looks like it will extent all the way to the Backlot Tour so Cars Land at the stunt show makes sense. The woman in charge of Cars Land development has been at HS for at least a year or so. I hated the Backlot Tour but it would be cool if they kept Catastrophe Canyon somehow.

I read in an Orlando Sentinel article that Star Tours cast members were running through the line saying "Star Wars Land is coming!"

Interesting that there are so many combinations of Star Tours that it would be hard to get the Force Awakens one.

So, the stunt show is done? I always loved that.

Back