• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

I read that same article. According to the podcasts, it appears Pandora at Animal Kingdom is going to be pretty amazing. Hill just went on and on raving about what he saw this weekend. If that goes online in 2017 and then they get Toy Story Land in the 12-18 months after that it will be an interesting time. It really sounds like the purse strings have been loosened. Universal gained 7% in market share this last year so I guess that will loosen the strings a bit. Disney certainly doesn't like losing guests.

The stunt show was good, but never changed and was very expensive to out on. Crowds were down which spelled the end of it.

We go to Hollywood Studios 3 times a year. Star Wars Weekend, Christmas, and one other time. Toy Story Land ups that significantly maybe as often as we go to Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

Interesting speculation on the locations of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. They're saying Toy Story Land may be behind Toy Story Midway Mania. This would mean the stunt show would be spared for now.

Toy Story Land could be done reasonably quickly if it is outside of the guest areas of the park. Star Wars Land would repurpose current buildings so that may not take that long either.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...-may-fit-within-disneys-hollywood-studios.htm

Last edited:
Just got back from a trip to Disney and was at Hollywood Studios on Sunday. We were so bummed that the Studio Backlot Tour is out of commission and not coming back! I always look forward to that attraction and hadn't realized that they closed it in September... we were asking one of the cast members about it and she speculated that it would be taken over by Star Wars Land.

Definitely agree that they need to do something with the park though - right now there's no reason to make it a full day. We went over for a few hours in the morning to do the 3-4 rides we liked, and then went to Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day.

Ph, I don't know if you saw on FB, but our mutual friends are back in Disney for like the 18th time this year and have plans to go back like 5 more times over the next six months.

Yeah. I saw it. That's nuts. I'm going to try to meet up with her one of those times. Great girl.

I actually wish they would relocate One Man's Dream. Hell put it in Disney Springs, but I like the history and the nod to the man that is behind the empire.

The layout is interesting. It sounds like the majority of what is going to hold things up right now is tearing down current buildings and installing the infrastructure needed to handle the new rides. Much of that backstage area for Toy Story Land was never meant to be "park area", so I am sure they will need to do quite a bit of fixing there.

Rumors have it that Universal is ready to make a counter-annoucement to steal some of the thunder from Disney's announcement. Expectations something will come out in the week. Disney had better be prepared to speed up building of Toy Story Land because you know Universal won't waste time.

I actually wish they would relocate One Man's Dream. Hell put it in Disney Springs, but I like the history and the nod to the man that is behind the empire.

The layout is interesting. It sounds like the majority of what is going to hold things up right now is tearing down current buildings and installing the infrastructure needed to handle the new rides. Much of that backstage area for Toy Story Land was never meant to be "park area", so I am sure they will need to do quite a bit of fixing there.

Rumors have it that Universal is ready to make a counter-annoucement to steal some of the thunder from Disney's announcement. Expectations something will come out in the week. Disney had better be prepared to speed up building of Toy Story Land because you know Universal won't waste time.

They should put it in Magic Kingdom, preferably in place of that stupid Carousel of Progress.

:couch:

I love One Man's Dream. I'll miss it. They're sending his old office back to a museum in CA. Not sure about the rest.

Funny story I heard about Carousel of Progress. It's kind of a thorn in the side of Disney because it doesn't get much traffic, takes up a lot of real estate, but it's a Walt original, and it still is a good concept. One idea they had was to redo the narration which is supposed to be the dad across those periods of time. They went big and got a meeting with Morgan Freeman. The meeting went well and I guess they were starting to talk specifics and Freeman asked, "So you're going to change it to a black family?" The Disney imagineers were like "Ah....we'll have to get back to you on that."

The only thing Carousel of Progress is good for is a nice air conditioned place to sit down for 20 minutes, with no line, when its 103 degrees and 102% humidity. Put Walt's museum there with the AC on high, serves the same nostalgic and cooling-off purpose and is less lame.

My favorite Carousel of Progress memory is when we went there about 2 years ago with my parents (because they remember that stuff) at around 11 pm in a long day and my kids fell asleep so we could go home.

The only thing Carousel of Progress is good for is a nice air conditioned place to sit down for 20 minutes, with no line, when its 103 degrees and 102% humidity. Put Walt's museum there with the AC on high, serves the same nostalgic and cooling-off purpose and is less lame.

#923OUT

We already lost the Maelstrom...have you no heart, sir?

Unfortunately, Carousel is getting no love right now from the Disney execs either. It is in a horrible state of dis-repair, as is Buzz Lightyear. I wonder if this is the execs way of getting rid of it, let it get bad enough no one goes and then they have reason to ship it out.

I think One Man's Dream would fit very well in the Magic Kingdom. Maybe up in the theater area where they moved the Mickey Meet and Greet. That area is huge and they could probably re-work it to fit in One Man's Dream along with the Meet and Greet.

Looked back at the map with the proposed lay-outs of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land and realized something else that would go away that I will miss, 50's Prime Time Cafe. I think that is a great lunch spot and have always enjoyed the banter with the staff while eating there. Regardless of what happens, looks like a lot of people are going to have to get over missing some of their favorites.

I'm guessing if the Muppets TV show doesn't go over well this fall, that area will also be on the chopping block. The last movie bombed and the Muppets just don't have the draw that they once did. Rumor has it that a new and improved version of the Indiana Jones ride at DisneyLand is also coming to the Studios. That is another property that Disney now owns as it was part of LucasFilm. If this map is accurate at all, I could see Pixar Land expanding from the stunt show to the Magic of Animation and Indiana Jones taking over the area from Honey I Shrunk the Kids to Mama Melrose's.

It will be interesting to see how many of the rumors come true, but I'm guessing in 15 years, very little will be left in this park that is currently there. Probably just Great Movie Ride (which is also slated to be revamped, but that has been pushed down the road), Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster and Toy Story Mania.

ETA: There is also talk of the entrance to the parking lots being changed and a parking deck being built. If that happens, they could also build out into some of the existing parking lot area.

wasn't Carousel Walt's favorite ride?

man, Dworld is going to be so different from the last time I was there.

I think Cars Land will take over the stunt show and Pixar Land is going to extend from Magic of Animation to behind Rockin' Rollercoaster. I didn't realize how much backstage was behind there, but it makes sense. That would give Pixar Land two main entrances and Rockin' Rollercoaster wouldn't be an abrupt end to the park. Speaking of, I've heard for awhile that Disney may let the partnership with Aerosmith lapse and retheme it. I'd love to see them go for an all out Disney Villains theme. They have a new annual villains event at the studios, Fantasia features villains, the screams from Tower of Terror fit as well. They should redo Muppets if the show takes off.

Ph, I don't know if you saw on FB, but our mutual friends are back in Disney for like the 18th time this year and have plans to go back like 5 more times over the next six months.

Yeah. I saw it. That's nuts. I'm going to try to meet up with her one of those times. Great girl.

I swear they should just move to Orlando and get it over with.

One of the guys in the podcast I listen to moved from New York to Orlando for work for a few years. He's a hardcore guy, has a Disney website and all that. He said he went a lot in his first year, then went months without going at all before eventually moving back to New York. I think it loses the magic if you can just head over to ride a few rides after work. I love Disney, but it's different for me than for those of you who come less often.

I have heard about the re-theming of Rockin' Rollercoaster as well, although I had heard they were looking at going with a more modern band as Aerosmith is getting a bit out-dated. They have plans to create a kind of "Green Room" where its like you are backstage with the band. Apparently, this was another thing that got put on hold by the recession.

In terms of villains, Jim Hill stated in a recent podcast that he thinks the villains park may be coming back, albeit way down the road. Apparently, the guy that is set to follow Iger came up through the parks. He is supposed to be a very creative type and Hill says he can see where this guy would see the benefit of a villains park. Plus, what better way for this guy to stamp his name in the Disney history books than to open a brand new park that is going to be wildly popular, if it is done correctly. Hill said he thinks it will probably be 20 years down the road, but he thinks it will happen.

And yes there is a ton of room behind Rockin' Rollercoaster. Having run the Disney Marathon twice and the Wine and Dine Half Marathon once, I can attest to the amount of room that is back there. I thought that part was never going to end. There is apparently quite a bit of land around Hollywood Studios that can be developed as well. Not just the backlot portion, but going into the woods that surround it as well. That area is not part of the protected area Disney has set aside never to develop so they can build out if need be. I don't expect that to happen too much, but the point is they have more than enough room.

I agree on the thought of Disney changing if you go too much. My wife and I got engaged and married there and had the annual passes for 5 years. Near the end of that stretch, I was kind of getting to the point where I was ready to do something else because every vacation we took was to Disney. My wife got laid off from her job last year and we had to give up the passes about this time of the year. We have since moved to South Florida and are getting ready to get passes again. After a year away from going, I have found that I miss it, especially since we now have a 2 year old that is deep into just about every Disney Channel cartoon they make. I'm really looking forward to taking him back. We have been one day (on a pass from my sister) and seeing his excitement was great. Its like we are now getting to experience everything new all over again.

Back