• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Yeah. What keeps it fresh is that my kids keep getting bigger and can do more stuff or rare times to go without the kids and do Food and Wine.

By the time both can do everything, the new lands will be in place.

I don't see the need for a new park at all, especially a villain theme unless it's the rumored adult park. I'll admit it would be nice to see them do something unique. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are clearly derivative of Busch Gardens Tampa and Universal Studios and 10-20 years behind as a result.

Was listening to a podcast over the weekend that kind of threw out a similar time frame, with Star Wars opening in 2020. Their reasoning, beyond the fact that they think Disney simply can't take forever on this, was that by 2020, the original Harry Potter expansion at Universal is 10 years old, meaning that much of the luster has worn off it and it also could be in need of refurbishment. Likewise, the newest Harry Potter expansion will be six years old.

They also said that as the Star Wars Land backs up to the employee parking lot, they can close that lot and do a lot of the work during the day, while not disrupting park operations, unlike with what happened during the new FantasyLand expansion, particularly with Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I think if they hit the 2019 time frame, people will be patient and they will keep the excitement. If it starts pushing into 2022 or later, people are going to get impatient and it will be another case of Disney not having its act together to in a building project. This podcast pointed out that Universal built the Diagon Alley expansion in 18 months where it took Disney more than 2 years to build the parking deck at Disney Springs (Downtown Disney).

Now, I will say that, having only been there once, I love that parking deck and how it tells you how many spots are available on each row, but it is ridiculous how long Disney takes to build things.

Interesting. Link to the podcast? Universal isn't going to stand pat with the original Harry Potter stuff. I would bet money Universal will have an addition to the Wizarding World for the 10th anniversary or before. They may have something for that new Harry Potter movie, too.

I hung out today with a friend of mine whose husband is an animator at Disney Animation Studios. Apparently running late on projects is the norm over there. Zootopia was supposed to be done by September, but it's pushed back to December. Most of the latest Disney movies have run way behind.

I think Disney needs to have something Star Wars ready within 12 months besides the fireworks show which I assume is the same one they did for Star Wars weekends. People have heard Star Wars is coming to the Studios and I don't think they'll get a bump in foot traffic until there's something new. The Unofficial Guide is recommending that people just don't bother going. If you have a week in Orlando, it's hard to justify to more than 3 or 4 days and Universal is going to fight to get 4 themselves, especially when Volcano Bay opens.

Last edited:
Its the Dis Unplugged podcast. It is put on by the people that run the DisBoards and Dreams Unlimited Travel. I only listen to them through my phone so I don't even know if they have an internet podcast. Many of the people on the show have previously worked at Disney, but I'm not sure their information is as good as Jim Hill's.

It sounds like the firework show will be new, although maybe it is the one they ran during Star Wars weekend. It sounds to me though like they are going to add to that show. As far as something for Star Wars in the next 12 months, I think we will see the additional scenarios for Star Tours and the Launch Bay or whatever they are calling it that will host the props/costumes. Apparently, this is going to be over in the Magic of Animation area so it will obviously be temporary.

Universal is apparently ready to announce a Fast and Furious ride as well as another ride. I think what we may see Universal announce in the next year is the addition of Lord of the Rings land. Apparently, they have been in negotiations over obtaining the rights to do this.

The DisUnplugged podcast said this and I agree, all of this competition is nothing but good for us the consumers. Comcast came out swinging with Harry Potter and spent a ton of money. Disney is now opening the purse strings and is apparently is spending a ton of money. Comcast is making noise that it is going to answer by spending more money. All of this benefits us (until admission prices skyrocket) as we are going to see some great stuff in the parks in coming year.

I've only been to DisBoards a few times. I don't need anymore time sucks and I feel like I get all the Disney info I need from the WDW Today and Unofficial Guide podcasts.

Comcast attempted to buy Disney a few years back, so maybe this is their attempt at revenge. I'm all for it.

Because Ruskin likes starting unnecessary new Disney threads.

PhDeac is the BKF of the DisBoards

I found this post of his on there, you are definitely correct.

Then you can understand a little about how I feel. And I've only felt that way about two parks in my life.....and both of them involved Disney in their name. (Would've been three, but Euro was a disaster from the day it was built.)

Also, to really get fired up about a theme park, you not only have to have a great park which you deeply admire & feel the everyone in the country desperately needs to visit, but also a despicable opponent whom you fervently feel is damaging the people that visit. I don't know anything about Hershey Park but Carowinds definitely qualifies on the other side.

COO says Disney will begin building both Star Wars Lands next year. Of course, the building could just be demolition, but it doesn't sound like they are wasting much time with this.

From Orlando Sentinel

Anyone been to the Disney Halloween or Christmas parties? Worth the ticket price? What's the verdict on crowds when they are sold out? I've seen varying accounts of either "walked on to every ride, not crowded at all" or "ridiculously packed, couldn't move an inch"

My first time going to Disney as an adult was the Christmas party with my the girlfriend now wife many years ago. It was great. I've heard that they have started selling more tickets and as a result, the parties are more crowded now than they used to be. It may vary based on day of the week. A weekend party is probably going to be more busy than a weekday party.

A good tip is to get a regular ticket to go to Magic Kingdom the day they're hosting one of the parties at night. The downside is the park closes at 7:00 instead of 10, 11, 12 or later. But it's much less crowded and you still get some of the seasonal atmosphere like parkgoers dressed up in costumes. If you get there when the park opens, you can take advantage of it and just relax at the hotel or go to Downtown Disney in the evening.

Anyone been to the Disney Halloween or Christmas parties? Worth the ticket price? What's the verdict on crowds when they are sold out? I've seen varying accounts of either "walked on to every ride, not crowded at all" or "ridiculously packed, couldn't move an inch"

We do Mickey's Christmas party every year. Well worth it in my opinion. We meet my sister and parents there and camp in Fort Wilderness (two travel trailers) for a few days. We do the party from 4 til midnight as our day in the park. We get on all of the rides, meet the characters, enjoy the free treats all with time to spare. The price is cheaper than a day pass and with 5 kids 11 and younger between us, it is all we need. Ft. Wilderness is a resort by itself so we have plenty to do.

We did the Halloween one a few years ago and there was hardly anybody there.

We've done the Halloween party for the last few yrs. good times. And if you stay multiple days get a Disney sitter for a night and do a grown up night out too. Actually the 92's will be there next week. Anyone watching the game in LBV ?

A Disney sitter? I was not aware of such a thing.

It's a service that contracts through Disney. It's expensive, but worth it if you want a night out sans kids.

We did Halloween one as well. It was great. Parade was awesome and you did not have to camp out 2 hours in advance. Rides had no lines. Weather was perfect.

Back