• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Last edited:
We're heading down to Universal Studios for two days this weekend to get our Wizarding World on. Got a family full of Potter-heads who all need their very own wand, hat, pet owl, and other assorted merch so I expect my net worth to take a serious hit by Monday. Looking forward to it though, parks are not supposed to be very crowded right now and we've never been to Universal Studios before.

Here is what I could find on the permits. Its a story from Orlando Weekly.

Some more links:

Water Infrastructure sought for 799 acres (current park 240)

Map of what has been proposed for current permits: What I find interesting here is the dotted line outlines along World Drive and going back towards Osceola Drive. Those areas touch the current park and look like expansion space to me.

That's essentially what I saw. It's vague. Hollywood Studios is a weirdly organized park. A new entrance would be nice and would better allow for Pixar/Star Wars themes upfront. Hopefully that means they would close the do something different with the store space at the current front to make it more relevant to the new themes.

Hard to believe that Disney would end the Star Wars Weekends yearly event after 15 years.

As luck would have it, I took my then very young son to it for the very first one in 2000 and now the last one this past summer. :)

Apparently, Captain EO is closing down for good as of 12/7. I'm going to be there later that week, and really wanted to see Captain EO because I knew it probably wouldn't last much longer.

Apparently, Captain EO is closing down for good as of 12/7. I'm going to be there later that week, and really wanted to see Captain EO because I knew it probably wouldn't last much longer.

count me blown away that it was still there

We saw it the last time we were there. I was amazed it was still there as well.

they brought it back after he died then I guess didn't have anything good to replace it with

Yeah. Honey I Shrunk the Kids was outdated so they used Captain EO to bridge the gap.

They've been doing free previews of upcoming Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies in that theater. Not sure if that's the full time purpose going forward. They certainly have a lot of films coming out.

Yeah. Honey I Shrunk the Kids was outdated so they used Captain EO to bridge the gap.

They've been doing free previews of upcoming Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies in that theater. Not sure if that's the full time purpose going forward. They certainly have a lot of films coming out.

NM; i didnt realize they re-activated it

Right outside Captain Eo is great popcorn stand that sells different flavors of popcorn. Only place in the Disney parks that sells flavored (other than caramel) popcorn.

Listening to a Jim Hill (Disney and theme park historian) podcast now. He says Disney is aiming to open Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom by December 2016 and Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios by December 2017. Disney needs to have something big to compete with Universal opening Volcano Bay water park in January 2017.

Listening to a Jim Hill (Disney and theme park historian) podcast now. He says Disney is aiming to open Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom by December 2016 and Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios by December 2017. Disney needs to have something big to compete with Universal opening Volcano Bay water park in January 2017.

Is there a sequel to Avatar planned? That seems dumb to theme a whole section of the park after that.

Is there a sequel to Avatar planned? That seems dumb to theme a whole section of the park after that.

Yeah. Last I heard there will be three sequels that will premiere in Christmas of 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Still not that hyped about it because Avatar has had less staying power than any huge box office movie I can think of. The sequels are huge bomb potential.

Yeah. Last I heard there will be three sequels that will premiere in Christmas of 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Still not that hyped about it because Avatar has had less staying power than any huge box office movie I can think of. The sequels are huge bomb potential.

There was nothing too terribly impressive about that film other than special effects which are almost status quo now.

Exactly. Avatar Land was a panic response to Harry Potter and Disney has to see it through.

The other stuff they're doing at Animal Kingdom is much more interesting. The new night time show looks interesting. The new Harambee village is nice. A new restaurant was announced yesterday.

Last edited:
Exactly. Avatar Land was a panic response to Harry Potter and Disney has to see it through.

The other stuff they're doing at Animal Kingdom is much more interesting. The new night time show looks interesting. The new Harambee village is nice. A new restaurant was announced yesterday.

Harry Potter is still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avatar. Disney could build a $100B avatar land, and a new HP restaurant would be a bigger draw.

Clearly. The answer to Harry Potter is Star Wars and Pixar at Hollywood Studios.

Back