• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

It's the rubes idea of an amazing vacation. Unless you live close hit it once at optimal age and move on. Possibly going again 10-15 years later to see new things.

The price of tickets has definitely had an affect on crowds. However, this was by design by Disney. They heard the complaints about crowds being too large and went to demand pricing to help lower those crowds.

However, I also think you are understating the affect of the new attractions coming. Its not just Star Wars. Disney is investing something like $2 billion into Walt Disney World between now and 2021, with the majority of the items being built slated to come online by the end of 2019. Isn't it safe to assume that if I am in that slice between fanatics and non-fans, those that go only once in a lifetime or once every 4-5 years, and having heard the news about all that is coming, that I would feel my $100 is going to get me a lot more bang for my buck in 2 years than it is now, so I am going to put off my trip for two years. Hell, people are standing in line for more than 5 hours to ride the new Pandora rides (and its safe to say most people aren't die-hard Avatar fans). Its safe to say plenty of people are already planning their trips for Star Wars, and not just Disney fans.

I think the point that is being overlooked, which Ph pointed out, is that its not just the general Disney fan that is saying people are putting off their trips. In fact, surveys have shown people are putting off their trips until the new items come online. What myself and Ph and the other Disney fans are doing is just repeating the results of these surveys, not giving our opinion.

all this talk and you gotta be thinking Disney is really bummed about spending cash on Pandoraland

all this talk and you gotta be thinking Disney is really bummed about spending cash on Pandoraland

Not really. I'm guessing attendance is way up at Animal Kingdom. Now do they wish they had spent the cash on another property? Maybe.

The price of tickets has definitely had an affect on crowds. However, this was by design by Disney. They heard the complaints about crowds being too large and went to demand pricing to help lower those crowds.

However, I also think you are understating the affect of the new attractions coming. Its not just Star Wars. Disney is investing something like $2 billion into Walt Disney World between now and 2021, with the majority of the items being built slated to come online by the end of 2019. Isn't it safe to assume that if I am in that slice between fanatics and non-fans, those that go only once in a lifetime or once every 4-5 years, and having heard the news about all that is coming, that I would feel my $100 is going to get me a lot more bang for my buck in 2 years than it is now, so I am going to put off my trip for two years. Hell, people are standing in line for more than 5 hours to ride the new Pandora rides (and its safe to say most people aren't die-hard Avatar fans). Its safe to say plenty of people are already planning their trips for Star Wars, and not just Disney fans.

I think the point that is being overlooked, which Ph pointed out, is that its not just the general Disney fan that is saying people are putting off their trips. In fact, surveys have shown people are putting off their trips until the new items come online. What myself and Ph and the other Disney fans are doing is just repeating the results of these surveys, not giving our opinion.

People in this country can't find Florida on a map. You think they're informed enough to decide when to visit Disney World ?

LOL. Florida is the one state people can find. It appropriately looks like dick.

In 2016, Orlando ranked as the most visited destination in the United States and Florida had almost 113 million visitors from out of the state, which ranked it as the most visited state in the U.S.

I would argue people have no problem figuring out where Florida is.

This is interesting discussion (truly).
just joining in to say I agree that it's two-fold... people who regularly go to the park are waiting for Star Wars Land. Other people are just trying to time their trip as best as possible so their kids are the right ages and they get a good and worthwhile experience for the hefty price. $100pp/day is not cheap.

In 2016, Orlando ranked as the most visited destination in the United States and Florida had almost 113 million visitors from out of the state, which ranked it as the most visited state in the U.S.

I would argue people have no problem figuring out where Florida is.

Half of those people are from Georgia and the other half take a plane. The next half are from Canada.

just joining in to say I agree that it's two-fold... people who regularly go to the park are waiting for Star Wars Land. Other people are just trying to time their trip as best as possible so their kids are the right ages and they get a good and worthwhile experience for the hefty price. $100pp/day is not cheap.

That's just tickets. Plan on about $1,000 to $1,400 per day for a family of four to stay at a Disney resort and eat anything.

like, an IP people actually care about?

Yeah. They could have themed it around Jungle Book, either the old one or new one. Or The Lion King, either the old one or the upcoming one. But they wanted a Harry Potter equivalent.

But what's done is done. It's good enough that people will start to care about it. And if the new Avatar movies are any good, the gamble will pay off. The point was to get more people to go to Animal Kingdom to justify keeping in open at night. That seems to be a success.

That's just tickets. Plan on about $1,000 to $1,400 per day for a family of four to stay at a Disney resort and eat anything.

Oh, I know. Basically $5k for a 4 day/3 night trip.

The per day rate goes down if you buy a multi-day ticket, but its easiest to talk about the one day ticket. For example, a four day ticket, for someone out of the state is somewhere around $87 a day while a five day ticket goes down to the $74 a day range. But yes, a Disney trip is going to set you back some money, which is even more reason people will try to plan their trip for when they think they are going to get the most out of their money. For instance, if you were thinking about going right now for four days and had a 6 year old, would you prefer to go now and spend that much for tickets (about $350 per person just for tickets) and know you are going to see a lot of construction equipment, or would you wait and go in two years when there will be all kinds of new rides?

There is enough negative press about all the construction Disney has under right now that many planning a trip, and if you are going to take that long of a trip and spend that much money you do plan ahead, are choosing to wait until the construction is over.

That being said, its not like the parks are empty. It doesn't matter a whole lot if there are 70,000 in the the Magic Kingdom or 69,650 people in the park (attendance was down 0.5% in 2016 so just using the same percentage for this argument). Either way it is still a lot of people trying to do the same rides all at once.

Last edited:
PH: Concerning the free appetizers...

Disney put out an update today saying the offer couldn't be combined with any other discounts. So if you are planning on one of the restaurants where you can get the 30% annual passholder discount, no free appetizers.

We are going for our anniversary in September and are going to try Flying Fish. They have a new chef (been there about 3-4 months) and I have heard really good things about it. its one of the few restaurants on property we haven't tried, so figured this was as good a time as any.

Staying at the Dolphin for the Food and Wine race weekend. Don't typically pick fancier hotels at Disney because we don't spend any time in the room, but everything else for that weekend is already booked.

When I take the family to the House of Mouse, we stay at our timeshare located about 5 miles from Disney's "west gate" with lodging expenses taken out of the equation and free daily shuttles back and forth daily.

That's fancy.

Back