• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DNC Live Commentary

Here are some interesting numbers:

The day Bill Clinton took office after 12 years of Republicans in the White House: DJIA - 3242

The day George W Bush took office after 8 years of Democrats in the White House: DJIA - 10587

The day Barack Obama took office after 8 years of Republicans in the White House: DJIA - 7949

The DJIA this morning - 13292

And investors want to put a Republican back in the White House????

Maybe 'Pubs are just good at deflating bubbles?

Maybe 'Pubs are just good at deflating bubbles?

Yes, Shrub did yeoman's work on deflating that housing bubble that was responsible for most of the good economic growth years that Pubs bragged about during his term.

I'm gussing...

Pub
MA
MT
IN
ND
CT

Dem
OH
VA
MI

Puts Pubs +2 if we don't see any other shockers...

Ohpleasepleasepleaseplease…

Gridlock. Or substantive partnerships between the WH and Congress. Whichever.

Foolish to think that gridlock is coming in the 113th. The Dems are going to let the Bush tax cuts expire in order to get the leverage they need. The GOP will do anything to try to lower their precious millionaires' and billionaires' tax rates.

Foolish to think that gridlock is coming in the 113th. The Dems are going to let the Bush tax cuts expire in order to get the leverage they need. The GOP will do anything to try to lower their precious millionaires' and billionaires' tax rates.

They should have done it last time.

I'm gussing...

Pub
MA
MT
IN
ND
CT

Dem
OH
VA
MI

Puts Pubs +2 if we don't see any other shockers...

Here's mine. First, Angus King, an independent will win ME easily, and as expected, he'll caucus with the Dems. Second, there are something like 23 Dems and 11 Pubs up this time, so twice as many seats up, you'd expect them to lose more. I see 12 interesting races (I'm not including MI) with the balance being 44-44.

Pub edges:
WI - Thompson should win it easily
MT - close but I see Tester losing
ND - Heitkamp is making this closer than it should be
NV - not a strong Dem candidate
AZ - Pub edge but not much data yet
IN - would have been a breeze with Lugar but not it's very tight with the tea partier

Dem edges:
FL - Nelson been a few points up in most of the polls
MO - I finally agree that Akin ain't winning this
VA - slight edge to Kaine
OH - Brown has been leading
MA - at the end of the day, with the balance on the line, I just can't see MA throwing control of the Senate to the Pubs
CT - see above

So right now, I'd say 50/50 with Biden breaking ties. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems pick off ND, AZ or IN to get a 51 seat majority.

Here's mine. First, Angus King, an independent will win ME easily, and as expected, he'll caucus with the Dems. Second, there are something like 23 Dems and 11 Pubs up this time, so twice as many seats up, you'd expect them to lose more. I see 12 interesting races (I'm not including MI) with the balance being 44-44.

Pub edges:
WI - Thompson should win it easily (Net 1 GOP)
MT - close but I see Tester losing (Net 2 GOP)
ND - Heitkamp is making this closer than it should be (Net 3 GOP)
NV - not a strong Dem candidate
AZ - Pub edge but not much data yet
IN - would have been a breeze with Lugar but not it's very tight with the tea partier

Dem edges:
FL - Nelson been a few points up in most of the polls
MO - I finally agree that Akin ain't winning this
VA - slight edge to Kaine
OH - Brown has been leading
MA - at the end of the day, with the balance on the line, I just can't see MA throwing control of the Senate to the Pubs (Net 2 GOP)
CT - see above

ME -King wins (Net 1 GOP)

So right now, I'd say 50/50 with Biden breaking ties. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems pick off ND, AZ or IN to get a 51 seat majority.

If those are only ones you see in play, how does that equal 50/50?

He's in 2nd line if Romney wins, that's closer than him being a member of the House, duh. Plus he's a leading candidate for Speaker now AND could be the candidate in 2016.

The country will be even more pro-choice in 2016 than it is today. Ryan, with his archaic views on women's rights, will be even further away from having a shot at the Presidency in 2016.

The GOPs main problem is that the country by and large is inching to the left gradually; while the right wing wackos move their party to the right at a slightly faster pace. The moderates in the GOP need to stand up for themselves better if they want to save their party.

The country will be even more pro-choice in 2016 than it is today. Ryan, with his archaic views on women's rights, will be even further away from having a shot at the Presidency in 2016.

The GOPs main problem is that the country by and large is inching to the left gradually; while the right wing wackos move their party to the right at a slightly faster pace. The moderates in the GOP need to stand up for themselves better if they want to save their party.

You overrate the Abortion issue, esp if Obama adds 2 libs to the Court which he will prob get to do...as in Abortion won't even be in play anymore.

Last edited:
Anyone who speaks disparagingly of the middle class (as you just mockingly did) has no perspective or appreciation of what made this country great in the first place.

Lighten up Francis!

If those are only ones you see in play, how does that equal 50/50?

You're half right - my math was half off. I should have said 45 Dem 43 Pub with NE already being a no brainer Pub switch. So yeah, if those 12 seats are split, it'll be 51-49. I think that's right now.

Ugh how could you vote for that hag Liz Warren against Mr. Dreamboat Scott Brown.

Back