• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doctors are paid way too much in America

alright DeacninBama... I hear you on the hand... but lets say hypothetically I had a friend that wanted to make a super hero baby with radiation. How would they go about doing that?

Radiation isn't your friend in this endeavour. We've never been able to reproduce Dr. Banner's research. I suggest you look into gene therapy with viral vectors.

My wife's allergist got into a dispute with the local practice she works for and it came out that she was making $700K a year. Not bad.

so firemen are vastly underpaid. got it.

Hardly. Can you talk about something you know?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-20/guest-post-whos-living-large-retirement

Firefighters in Contra Costa County, CA have a state law protected pension; many receive over $100,000 annually. (Their department is also closing four stations to make budget.) I have several friends who retired from the government who've received a large increase the last couple of years, bumping their pensions to well over 80% of their former salaries. Many regularly risked their lives, and I don't begrudge them a dime.

But it would take a self-employed person $2 million in earnings to net $1 million, which could fund an $11,000 pension. It would take just over $9 million for a person in the private sector to fund the pension equal to a Contra Costa County firefighter.

Hah. "You don't know what you don't know" fully applies to your comment on radiation. Know any kids born without a hand? I do.

By your estimates, how many hours a week do you work, on average? 50 maybe?

My dad is a cardiologist and has averaged 90-100 hours a week for 28 years in a small town of 30K people. He usually spends his Saturdays and Sundays catching up on dictating patient charts from earlier in the week. I guarantee you, he works harder than you or anyone else you know.

I'll back you on this. My dad practices internal medicine in a similar-sized town and has worked similar hours for almost 35 years.

I hate to be the one to break this to both of you, but your dads both have mistresses....and maybe second families...and very gullible kids apparently.

My wife's allergist got into a dispute with the local practice she works for and it came out that she was making $700K a year. Not bad.

Not bad and she probably pays 50% in taxes to the various Gov'ts, all told. So it's more like $350K. But not bad!

LOL

Firefighter salary curve

Fire Fighter - U.S. National Averages Base pay only
10th% 25th% 75th% 90th%

$22,056 $31,664 $52,773 $62,383

I mean I know they aren't "in the trenches" or anything, but talk about an outlier example.

It's cool, bro. We can all cherry pick examples to serve our purposes.

there's an argument in my little town in LA county because the meter maids get paid $100k+ and the retired ones are collecting like $80k+ a year

I think the real question here is whether or not meter maids are overpaid in America. And I think we've just answered it.

It's cool, bro. We can all cherry pick examples to serve our purposes.

so you quote an article about one county and he posts national averages, so he's cherry picking? jesus christ, you are a fucking moron.

the point anyway was that firemen put their lives in far more risk and are hugely responsible in saving lives which you implied was why doctors were so well paid.

so you quote an article about one county and he posts national averages, so he's cherry picking? jesus christ, you are a fucking moron.

the point anyway was that firemen put their lives in far more risk and are hugely responsible in saving lives which you implied was why doctors were so well paid.

Oh fuck off. I was being sarcastic about the cherry picking.

Can we all just agree that OGBDeacon07 is overpaid? I feel like we need to agree on that.

Back