• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

That’s plenty of basis. You’re expecting him to do what only a few have done. Why do you think he’s willing to stand up when others have not?

Some people would say a person’s integrity should be evaluated based on that person’s own actual words and deeds, not based on what one THINKS he will do due to the actions and deeds of others.

I have read nothing about Roberts that would indicate he would run a crooked trial for Trump or anyone else. Until he proves otherwise, I would expect to to be loyal to his oath.

Some people would say a person’s integrity should be evaluated based on that person’s own actual words and deeds, not based on what one THINKS he will do due to the actions and deeds of others.

I have read nothing about Roberts that would indicate he would run a crooked trial for Trump or anyone else. Until he proves otherwise, I would expect to to be loyal to his oath.

This.

Doesn't really matter anyway. The role of judge in an impeachment trial doesn't have much power.

Hasn’t a majority of the “jury” already declared its intent to support the leader of the Republican Party regardless of what else happens?

Not a real big risk for Roberts here.

He is being pre-judged based on the party that he is affiliated with because we have almost no other information on which to base a prediction. The entire professional Republican Party are bunch of crooked liars these days, it is not unreasonable or outlandish to worry that Roberts might be too.

Yeah, even though we have hundreds of examples of Republicans selling their souls to the Trump cult, let's not rush to judgement here. Wouldn't want to be hasty. Roberts will clearly save the Republican party.

Roberts has a lifetime appointment and cares too much about his personal legacy to run a rigged impeachment trial.

Roberts has a lifetime appointment and cares too much about his personal legacy to run a rigged impeachment trial.

What evidence do you have that he cares too much about his personal legacy to run a rigged impeachment trial? I’ve heard this same assertion on NPR as well, but I’ve never seen anything concrete to back it up.

if 'legacy' is the only thing at stake then he just has to do his best to ensure he picks the victor writing the history

and how do we know "preserving his public legacy" doesn't mean propping up Trump and MAGA morons for years to come? after all, isn't that the direction of the current Republican Party?

his confirmation hearings were a lifetime ago. that was during the Bush era and when McCain was still respecting by conservatives and Lindsey Graham sorta seemed "principled."

Did you watch his confirmation hearings? He views himself as an umpire calling balls and strikes. He’s conservative, duh, but he saved the ACA, twice, over vehement objection from the right. He’s a statesman, and there is absolutely no basis for anyone to conclude he’s in the tank for Trump.

You people are nuts. This is the left equivalent of “the Crowdstrike server is in Ukraine.”

you're nuts for believing in blind justice

Did you watch his confirmation hearings? He views himself as an umpire calling balls and strikes. He’s conservative, duh, but he saved the ACA, twice, over vehement objection from the right. He’s a statesman, and there is absolutely no basis for anyone to conclude he’s in the tank for Trump.

You people are nuts. This is the left equivalent of “the Crowdstrike server is in Ukraine.”

Yeah, we're the crazy ones. Absolutely no evidence that Republicans have sold themselves out completely. Get a fucking grip.

We know how this will play out -- Roberts will do just enough that the right wing media and Republicans will be able to say that dems were given some of what they wanted, to the point where it was not a sham trial, and Roberts will be able to say he still has his integrity because he throws a couple small bones. Can we just all stop being dense about it?

Yeah the ACA votes give me hope. However, there is still a dearth of actual data leaving plenty of uncertainty.

Worrying about a Republican appointed justice’s impartiality in today’s climate is not equivalent to an insane conspiracy theory. No one is saying that Roberts went to Ukraine and got his son a job or whatever we are just openly worrying about his loyalties.

Besides, this is about speculating on a rigged senate trial and Roberts has little influence on that. The jury is having open meetings with the defendant’s staff, the trial is already rigged regardless of how Roberts rules on Bolton’s testimony.

Doesn't really matter anyway. The role of judge in an impeachment trial doesn't have much power.

TITCR. Roberts does care deeply about the perceived status of the Court, and he can't be happy about Trump's over politicizing his appointments. He won't want the possible perception that he runs a trial that favors team Trump. I don't see him as being the problem. The problem is the senate Pubs have basically already indicated they won't convict. Maybe a few, like Romney and Collins, might express some reservation about Trump's behavior, but not a single one will vote to convict.

please, won't you join Junebug (and Sailor) in a world where people always do the right thing?

images-1.jpg

Back