• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

You’d think at least one Republican would pull out his pocket Constitution and tell Trump he’s wrong.

Be cool if Democrats quit being massive pussies and just took a house vote. Don't make it easy for pubs to make bullshit excuses

The problem with this is if they do it Trump will come up with another excuse.

Trump better watch he wishes for. By delaying the inquiry, hearings could be going on during the campaign. He doesn't want that.

A conservative justice might look at precedent and not even take up the case if there isn't a house vote, precedent matters. Nancy is playing partisan games by not taking a vote, which plays right into pubs hands and works against the inquiry

A vote is not necessary under House rules. There hasn't been a vote before many impeachment inquiries. The House majority already has subpoena power thanks to Republicans changing the rules.

If the house votes to impeach, Moscow Mitch can just end the show in the Senate, right?

Yes he has said a couple times that he would "have" to hold a trial, but I don't see why this is any different than stonewalling the advice and consent part of the Constitution. I'll believe it when I see it.

Is there any sort of rule where they can't try to ring him up on impeachment again if the Senate squashes it?

No there's not much framework for impeachment in the Constitution. Lists who can be impeached, says House has the sole impeachment power, and that the Senate has sole trial power where the Chief Justice presides (in the case that a President is tried) with two-thirds concurrence required for removal. That's basically it.

Is there any sort of rule where they can't try to ring him up on impeachment again if the Senate squashes it?

I don’t know but why would they do that unless there were new charges?

I don’t think this could go much better for Dems than polls showing half the country favors impeachment a week into the process, the WH obviously flailing and obstructing, the House lays the evidence out and controls the message while Dem candidates run a collegial primary, impeachment becomes more popular by the week, and then Moscow Mitch completely stonewalls the conviction. The Dems want to run against that party. The GOP would be completely exposed for who they are.

Honestly, I think this will last awhile because no way Ukraine is the only place Trump and his cronies are trying to enrich themselves. More will turn up.

Yeah it will also take a long time because nothing is going to be fast in the court system and the White House is going to make sure they go that route. I would hope this will be another simple evidentiary matter regarding the subpoenas (yes you have to testify) but who knows how long "expedited" takes even. Courts are slow and I don't see the White House acquiescing to anything.

I don’t know but why would they do that unless there were new charges?

I don’t think this could go much better for Dems than polls showing half the country favors impeachment a week into the process, the WH obviously flailing and obstructing, the House lays the evidence out and controls the message while Dem candidates run a collegial primary, impeachment becomes more popular by the week, and then Moscow Mitch completely stonewalls the conviction. The Dems want to run against that party. The GOP would be completely exposed for who they are.

Honestly, I think this will last awhile because no way Ukraine is the only place Trump and his cronies are trying to enrich themselves. More will turn up.

I was thinking about it in the context that maybe pubs want this to rush thru to the senate now in the hopes they can play some sort of "we've already considered this" defense if Democrats were to revisit it again (even for new charges) in the future?

Just trying to think of what sinister motives could be in play.

If the hope of all this is that Mitch McConnell is going to faithfully carry out his duties in the face of partisan power, y’all are fucking insane if you think something will happen.

If the hope of all this is that Mitch McConnell is going to faithfully carry out his duties in the face of partisan power, y’all are fucking insane if you think something will happen.

I don’t think anybody hopes that. We know he won’t. The hope is he gets punished for it.

The Senate has to hold a trial. But, as soon as the trial starts, the Republicans can move to dismiss.

If people aren't put in jail for failing to appear per these impeachment subpoenas, then our democracy is done. All hail King Trump.

what percentage of these people stonewalling or "nothing to see here" Republicans would tell you to let a cop conduct his search if you've got nothing to hide?

Back