• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

I'll believe that even one Republican senator votes to remove him when I see it. The GOP has talked and talked and talked and talked about plenty of things with Donald and every single one of them that is still a member of the party is an absolute coward full stop. It's lip service and they have no backbone.

I'll believe that even one Republican senator votes to remove him when I see it. The GOP has talked and talked and talked and talked about plenty of things with Donald and every single one of them that is still a member of the party is an absolute coward full stop. It's lip service and they have no backbone.

To paraphrase Theodore Roosevelt regarding William McKinley - they "have the backbone of a chocolate eclair."

Waste of time. Better they'd go register to vote, if they haven't already, and actually vote next year. It is not outside of the realm of reason that Trump could be impeached, convicted, win renomination and win the general election in 2020.

In the unlikely event that Republican Senators actually voted to remove Trump from office, they would certainly also bar him from holding political office in the future. Doing otherwise would just leave them vulnerable to the vindictive jackass in the future.

Political office isn't what they need to worry about. It's his tweets and corrosive impact on political discourse. Even bigger for the Pubs is that he would still be a kingmaker in the party.

Political office isn't what they need to worry about. It's his tweets and corrosive impact on political discourse. Even bigger for the Pubs is that he would still be a kingmaker in the party.

If Trump is that legitimate a threat to Republicans when he's out of office then McConnell and company likely won't oppose throwing him in jail for his laundry list of crimes.

In the unlikely event that Republican Senators actually voted to remove Trump from office, they would certainly also bar him from holding political office in the future. Doing otherwise would just leave them vulnerable to the vindictive jackass in the future.

Okay, I accept your friendly amendment. Even less unlikely that he could be impeached, win renomination and the GE in 2020.

Waste of time. Better they'd go register to vote, if they haven't already, and actually vote next year.

Large scale mass protests would help defeat Trump in the election next year. They could substantially increase the feeling that the country is at a tipping point and maintaining the status quo of four more years with Trump is unsustainable.

Large scale mass protests would help defeat Trump in the election next year. They could substantially increase the feeling that the country is at a tipping point and maintaining the status quo of four more years with Trump is unsustainable.

Not so sure about that. Trump has a solid 40-45% of the electorate, and it'll just motivate them further, not that they really need it. The question is whether it positively or negatively motivates never Trumper Pubs and whatever independents are remaining out there. I could see either.

Trump's base is set. I don't think anything could happen that will turn out more voters for him than he already has locked in. The key is maximizing turn out against him. Huge crowds in the streets of every major city has the potential to do that.

Yeah, this won't go the way you think it will.

I don't think enough Republicans have a spine to remove him via impeachment. I think there are enough Republicans that care nothing about this country to reelect him next year.

It will all come down to turn out.

Last edited:

It depends on where the protests are. If they are in western PA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona or maybe even in NC, they might have some impact. If they are in NY, SF, DC, LA, no one will change their minds.

I don't think enough Republicans have a spine to remove him via impeachment. I think there are enough Republicans that care nothing about this country to reelect him next year.

I know what you're saying. I'm saying large scale protests will not have your desired outcome. It will further the "unhinged left" narrative at the worst possible time for whoever the candidate is.

I know what you're saying. I'm saying large scale protests will not have your desired outcome. It will further the "unhinged left" narrative at the worst possible time for whoever the candidate is.

You don't think it would boost turnout and engagement on the left as well?

I think anyone who buys into that was going to vote for Trump anyway. I don't believe a significant number of people were going to stay home until they saw huge protests and then rushed to the polls to defend Trump from these hordes of left wing radicals.

You don't think it would boost turnout and engagement on the left as well?

If riling up the Trump base is what you wanna do, be my guest. Especially so close to election day. The media will cover mass protests and push a narrative that the Dems can ill afford. Don't give Trump any undue help.

Back