• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

Moore has always had the skillset. Again, this was a guy who had double doubles in his only two 20 minute plus appearances as a rookie.

So, will he get any dap at any All-ACC level this year? I mean, he's averaging a double-double or close to it. Honorable Mention? Most improved, maybe?

If he keeps playing like he has been recently, I think he'll at least get some votes. Could be honorable mention.
Would also help his case if we could win a few more games ....and he is a key factor.

FT numbers would be nice but aren't that important. If he can improve his jump hook and become more comfortable in the post, he could get a shot in the NBA.

Something else that is working in Doral's favor for next year is there are virtually no post up players entering college this year. Even the freakish Bol Bol is more like a giant PF, who is almost as skinny as his dad. Moses Brown is really good, but let's see. With all the good bigs this year, next year is really weak at center.

Good for Doral!

Moore has always had the skillset. Again, this was a guy who had double doubles in his only two 20 minute plus appearances as a rookie.

What are you counting as the 2nd double, minutes?

FT numbers would be nice but aren't that important. If he can improve his jump hook and become more comfortable in the post, he could get a shot in the NBA.

Something else that is working in Doral's favor for next year is there are virtually no post up players entering college this year. Even the freakish Bol Bol is more like a giant PF, who is almost as skinny as his dad. Moses Brown is really good, but let's see. With all the good bigs this year, next year is really weak at center.

Good for Doral!

FT shooting is actually very important. NBA scouts look at FT numbers to determine if a player can develop range. For example, prior to the 2015 NBA draft there was a question whether Anthony-Towns or Okafor would be taken first. The good scouts noted KAT’s FT numbers (> 80 %) compared to Okafor’s (50 %) and predicted KAT could develop range. They were right, he’s an excellent shooter and recently hit 10 straight threes.

Moore doesn’t need to shoot as well as KAT obviously, but scouts will place importance on his FT shooting.

FT shooting is actually very important. NBA scouts look at FT numbers to determine if a player can develop range. For example, prior to the 2015 NBA draft there was a question whether Anthony-Towns or Okafor would be taken first. The good scouts noted KAT’s FT numbers (> 80 %) compared to Okafor’s (50 %) and predicted KAT could develop range. They were right, he’s an excellent shooter and recently hit 10 straight threes.

Moore doesn’t need to shoot as well as KAT obviously, but scouts will place importance on his FT shooting.

Given your position that he will not be counted on to shoot from distance, Doral's FT% will be one the least important numbers in defining his worth in the NBA.

Doral isn't athletic enough to be a good, never mind great, defender at the NBA level, so yeah, good luck getting PT if you're gonna shoot at a 45% clip from the FT line.

Given your position that he will not be counted on to shoot from distance, Doral's FT% will be one the least important numbers in defining his worth in the NBA.

I didn’t say that. I said he doesn’t need to shoot as well as KAT (because that is a ridiculously high standard and why he was picked #1 overall). But if Moore is going to make the NBA he’ll need to be able to shoot jumpers, and his current FT numbers suggest that’s unlikely to happen.

Like Deandre Jordan shoots jumpers? Or Capela? Or Adams?

Doral Moore is to Deandre Jordan as Keyshawn Woods is to Gary Harris. Moore is not an NBA pro. Maybe he can continue to develop but he would not be drafted if he left, and to be honest I don’t see it even after next year. He is way to slow, too limited offensively, and the upside due to his coordination problems just isn’t there. He can be a great college big and he can make a lot of money over seas. But I personally don’t see the NBA in his future. Perhaps he will prove me wrong.

His improvement this year is significant and great to see. If we could actually match him with a good PF (Sarr improves and/or Hoard comes in ready) I think we would see even better results as Moore would get less attention from the defense in the post.

Moore does not have the skill set that NBA teams are currently looking for. His game is a bit of a throwback. His improvement has been impressive and I am thrilled for him. If his teammates looked for him more often we might see even more.

So obviously your point was valid even though your stat was incorrect.

Doral Moore is to Deandre Jordan as Keyshawn Woods is to Gary Harris. Moore is not an NBA pro. Maybe he can continue to develop but he would not be drafted if he left, and to be honest I don’t see it even after next year. He is way to slow, too limited offensively, and the upside due to his coordination problems just isn’t there. He can be a great college big and he can make a lot of money over seas. But I personally don’t see the NBA in his future. Perhaps he will prove me wrong.

His improvement this year is significant and great to see. If we could actually match him with a good PF (Sarr improves and/or Hoard comes in ready) I think we would see even better results as Moore would get less attention from the defense in the post.

Totally agree, but if Moore rolls through the last 5 or 6 games getting 17/12, he's going to linger and look.

Moore still doesn't seem to be showing up on anyone's radar for the NBA.

I remain in the camp that says we should just enjoy his improvement and appreciate him for the solidly above average NCAA C that he has become.

And if he can improve at all between now and his senior season (FTs & adding more offensive skills), it will go a long way towards helping us have a successful 2018-19 campaign.

Moore still doesn't seem to be showing up on anyone's radar for the NBA.

I remain in the camp that says we should just enjoy his improvement and appreciate him for the solidly above average NCAA C that he has become.

And if he can improve at all between now and his senior season (FTs & adding more offensive skills), it will go a long way towards helping us have a successful 2018-19 campaign.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DeacsATS again.

If Doral improves half as much next year as he has this year, he'll be a true force next year.

Add to this, the game will be easier for him next year. If either Sarr or Donovan improve in a natural progression, Doral will have more space. Hoard and Mucius look like studs. Their arrival will also keep teams from doubling Doral on every catch. By having this space, Doral will be able to take more baby hooks and 8-10' baseline Js.

Just hoping Doral can stay on the floor for ~20min, rebound, stay in position on defense most of the time, and finish an occasional lob and put-back.

That is what I said back in October when we were discussing all of the hype that Doral was getting before the season started. There were some posters around here talking about how he had made a huge improvement and some quotes from players (Woods, Wilbekin, & Childress) about how he'd made amazing progress. I was hopeful, but skeptical.

Looking back, I completely undersold Moore's improvement. He's playing well above 20mpg (~25), rebounding more than expected (9.5), doing more on defense than just "staying in position", and scoring on more than just lobs and putbacks.

As RJ mentions above, Doral should benefit from the team having some additional options on offense next year. His numbers may not improve, but he's been getting zero help from anyone at the PF position this season. If he has some more freedom to protect the rim on defense, and some additional space to work on offense, he'll look even better and perhaps get some attention from NBA folks.

Back