• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

He’s not growing anymore. In fact, he got beat out by a fellow top ACC punt returner who was just bigger.

“My size was a question, but I’m not going to grow overnight. I won’t be 6-2 next year, if I was to come back and play.” (from pro day)

He could be a star in the CFL.
Now that he can’t return to college and the NFL is questionable, he needs to look at all options.

I just dunno his stock would have been any worse after a couple more big years at Wake. Yeah there’s injury risk but now he’s basically out of football after barely turning 21. Could’ve gotten a degree and had some fun playing on some pretty good Wake teams. I know i’m Monday morning quarterbacking (literally i guess).

I just dunno his stock would have been any worse after a couple more big years at Wake. Yeah there’s injury risk but now he’s basically out of football after barely turning 21. Could’ve gotten a degree and had some fun playing on some pretty good Wake teams. I know i’m Monday morning quarterbacking (literally i guess).

It’s actually Monday afternoon, but same thing

He is probably very close to the degree and can return for it.

It is a tough call and much easier to make after the fact.

If he had another really good year at Wake, his stock probably rises and likely gets drafted..

Still think someone will pick him up. Panthers should.

It does seem strange how little weight teams place on performance in camp vs "measurables". The panther cut a QB with a 98 or so rating in preseason games and kept two guys with ratings in the mid 60's that could not engineer any points. Wolford is another example. It seems very hard to make it based on performance.

Huge mistake. Should have stayed two more years. He got in a hurry. Dumb. His numbers would have been so gaudy he would have been guaranteed draft pick. Young people make shitty choices. I did too.

It is a tough call and much easier to make after the fact.

If he had another really good year at Wake, his stock probably rises and likely gets drafted..

Still think someone will pick him up. Panthers should.

It does seem strange how little weight teams place on performance in camp vs "measurables". The panther cut a QB with a 98 or so rating in preseason games and kept two guys with ratings in the mid 60's that could not engineer any points. Wolford is another example. It seems very hard to make it based on performance.

It is really hard to understand some of the GMs in the NFL. Look at everything except can the kid play football. I guess if he has good numbers and fails you can say how could I have known. But look at the Broncos--sign a QB who was markedly worse than Wollford and has been for three years. What do they think will change? Sometimes it matters if a kid can play no matter what his measurables are

He’s not growing anymore.

This is such a bad argument. Essentially no college players get taller, yet many, many players improve their draft position.

It is really hard to understand some of the GMs in the NFL. Look at everything except can the kid play football. I guess if he has good numbers and fails you can say how could I have known. But look at the Broncos--sign a QB who was markedly worse than Wollford and has been for three years. What do they think will change? Sometimes it matters if a kid can play no matter what his measurables are

Interestingly, the Jets basically felt like Dortch had a ton to learn about running routes and being a receiver. I found this, honestly, shocking. It makes the Hinton transition to NFL wide receiver even more daunting if basically our slot role does not prepare one for running routes in the NFL.

IMO, Dortch should have returned for one more year and build a bigger body of work. He basically played at Wake for 1 1/2 seasons. The NBA has a much better process in providing feedback to players at NBA-sanctioned camps. Not that a large % of players take that advice and go back to college and work on those things, but I would curious if Dortch knew before declaring that he had a ton to learn about being an NFL slot receiver.

I could see Dortch finding a role in KC, Indy, and Seattle. Of course, I have been a 20 and 30 year fan of two of those teams (KC and Sea - I lived in both places).

This is such a bad argument. Essentially no college players get taller, yet many, many players improve their draft position.

Few college players need to get taller. Dortch is shorter than the average American male.

The "not going to get taller" argument only matters if he's maxed out speed, quickness, agility, route running, hands, etc. There are short WR's in the NFL.

It is a shame in any case. Loved watching him play. So I guess he was not put on the practice squad?

He fucked himself. If he only had played 10 or 15 more college games. Or 20. It's hard to delay gratification when you young and dumb. Pretty sure, in his own way, Clawson told him the same thing.

Back