• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

1913 was coming up on 50th year anniversaries of battles, it was the 50th anniversary of the emancipation, and getting couple years out from anniversary from the end of the war. Black reconstruction was over. It is silly to assume that the racial motivation you acknowledge in the 60s, did not exist in the 1910s or whenever the majority of that period's statues were built. Just a weird bad argument.

I’m a southerner. My family members fought in the Civil War. They were traitors to the United States. The southern pride thing is pretty silly.

+1. My great great great grandfather, or whatever, from Scot county, fought for the Confederacy and was jailed in a Union prison camp. I don’t give a rats ass about building a monument to him, nor do I have any sympathy to his plight. Plenty of sourtherners knew the cause was wrong as pointed out earlier in this thread, and they got the hell outta dodge, resisted by helping slaves, or didn’t fight. Honoring those who did is absolutely ridiculous.

Serious question - the people supporting the right for the memorials to stay seem like mostly white men; I haven’t seen many women advocating for them. At least, it seems majority male-driven. Is there a self esteem fragility issue at play with these dudes?

Hmm, early 1900's in the American south? Surely there was no ill motivation in a movement to put up Confederate statues in public places at that time, what would have been the purpose? It's not as if the Sons of the Confederacy or Daughters of the Confederacy had any attachment to the Ku Klux Klan and jim crow.

Of all the things white Southerners can be proud about, why do they choose the Confederacy? It's one of the biggest screw ups in US history.

+1. My great great great grandfather, or whatever, from Scot county, fought for the Confederacy and was jailed in a Union prison camp. I don’t give a rats ass about building a monument to him, nor do I have any sympathy to his plight. Plenty of sourtherners knew the cause was wrong as pointed out earlier in this thread, and they got the hell outta dodge, resisted by helping slaves, or didn’t fight. Honoring those who did is absolutely ridiculous.

Serious question - the people supporting the right for the memorials to stay seem like mostly white men; I haven’t seen many women advocating for them. At least, it seems majority male-driven. Is there a self esteem fragility issue at play with these dudes?

Same here. My great great grandfather was drafted into the Confederate Army in 1862, fought in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, and continued to fight in Lee's army until he was captured sometime after the fall of Petersburg. He was a carpenter and homebuilder who didn't own slaves, but other than that I know nothing about him, as he left no letters or statements. I don't know how he felt about slavery or secession, and don't care, because it doesn't matter. The fact remains that he fought in an army and for a cause that was expressly dedicated to preserving the system of slavery and the racial caste system in the South, and that's ultimately all that matters. He may not have been very happy to be drafted, but, for whatever reasons, he served until the end of the war. I fail to see why he or others like him need statues in every town or village to commemorate the fact that they fought for two very bad causes (slavery and secession) that damn near led to the South's destruction (and the South started the war). I just don't see anything noble or heroic in that at all. Even Lee said after the war that Confederate flags and symbols should be put away, as we were all one nation again. It's too bad later generations of Southerners didn't take their hero's advice. At any rate, I fail to see why people should take "pride" in the fact that their ancestors fought to break up the United States and preserve slavery. It's the 21st Century now, not the nineteenth.

One of my great great (great?) uncles was a confederate general and I have no love lost for the confederacy. I do have a cool manuscript of his travels during the civil war though - but I don’t plan on erecting that on a statue in a public square.

Again, if someone were going to erect a more “contemporaneous” plaque or statue honoring the Viet Kong from the Vietnam war on the same timeline as Silent Sam, the statue still wouldn’t be put up for five more years.

junebug is so boned on this argument i can't believe we're still having it

Again, if someone were going to erect a more “contemporaneous” plaque or statue honoring the Viet Kong from the Vietnam war on the same timeline as Silent Sam, the statue still wouldn’t be put up for five more years.

Do you mean the Viet Cong or are you talking about some hybrid of Vietnamese people and King Kong ?

William Wallace was a traitor and lost, should all of his statues come down? Does Mel Gibson need to give his academy award back?

The fact remains that he fought in an army and for a cause that was expressly dedicated to preserving the system of slavery and the racial caste system in the South, and that's ultimately all that matters.

History fail

well, scotland was an independent country in the middle ages and was in the midst of an ongoing series of invasions/occupations by England.

close on that one, though

Did the Confederacy not declare independence from the Union ? Help me out on this. I must be forgetting something.

Back