• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

I think regardless of religion's existence or not in the history of man (although man would always have some sort of "religion" since we've been telling creation stories in some form for literally the entire existence of an evolved man kind) we would understand that murder is not a viable and sustainable option for a society.

I think regardless of religion's existence or not in the history of man (although man would always have some sort of "religion" since we've been telling creation stories in some form for literally the entire existence of an evolved man kind) we would understand that murder is not a viable and sustainable option for a society.

Neither is using government goons to take stuff from anyone who has one more dollar than you do.

The bolded is false. These animals do not demonstrate morality. They demonstrate altruism.

Also, regarding your last paragraph, I never said religion bestowed morality upon us. I said that I had never heard a satisfactory philosophical account that was based on atheism for why people should act morally.

Sorry, I did mean altruism.

And by the way, even assuming human morality originated through evolution, that has nothing to do with whether it is instilled in us by God. Just as God may well have used evolution as the means to create humankind, he may well have used evolution to instill in us a sense of morality.

I don't believe in god, so I don't believe he instilled it in us. You obviously do, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Sorry, I did mean altruism.

I don't believe in god, so I don't believe he instilled it in us. You obviously do, so we'll just agree to disagree.
Come on, don't quit, I think you guys can hash this out. Certainly one of you two can prove or disprove the existence of God.

But that's the thing. Given the amount of mass scale murders across the world in virtually every society over the course of human history and present day, clearly we don't understand that.

clearly we don't understand that.

Debatable, and the amount of murder that's been prevented by religion alone is negligible. By what means can anyone prove that religion is responsible for morality? The adoption of religious beliefs may itself be attributable to those seeking a framework for their innate morality.

Last edited:
But that's the thing. Given the amount of mass scale murders across the world in virtually every society over the course of human history and present day, clearly we don't understand that.

Sure but it's irrelevant to this discussion IMO since we're in the world with religion "informing morality."

Anarcho-capitalist, just like all the Somalian warlords.

Cool.

I have no respect for you as a human being capable of empathy for somebody that isn't going through the exact same circumstances as yourself. But cool. You are a cunt. Got it!

2&2 might have a harder time with this, but I'm pretty sure that Junebug thinks that God just implanted those monkeys and bats (and other creatures) with a code of morality when they were born. PROVE THEY WEREN'T.

SO FUCKING CLOSE!!!

However, I eagerly await the argument that altruism isn't based in some form of morality.

The bolded is false. These animals do not demonstrate morality. They demonstrate altruism.

Also, regarding your last paragraph, I never said religion bestowed morality upon us. I said that I had never heard a satisfactory philosophical account that was based on atheism for why people should act morally.

No, you didn't. You just said that God did. Which is a religion based belief. So, in actuality, you basically said that religion bestowed morality upon us without directly saying God did it. Stop bullshitting around, Junebug.

deacvision7; I have no respect for you as a human being capable of empathy for somebody that isn't going through the exact same circumstances as yourself. But cool. You are a cunt. Got it!2100543 said:
Cool.

Empathy for others that results in giving of one's own efforts and resources to help others is a virtue. Demanding that someone else be forced to do this is a vice, usually expressed with a foul mouth by selfish failures looking for handouts. Stand on the corner with a sign, fuckwad.

But did God implant gayness like he did morality? Lets just use this thread to flesh out all the really hard questions.

Last edited:
But did God implant gayness like he did morality? Lets just use this thread to flesh out all the really hard questions.
Of course not, choosing to be gay is a sin like any other sin, murder for instance. God hates the murder/gay sex but loves the murderer/gay person.
As a Christian man, I would be betraying God and harming my murderous/gay friends by accepting their murder/gayness. The best way that I can love my murderer/gay neighbors is to outlaw their actions, thus preventing them from sinning.

Last edited:
I think it's time for a Duck Dynasty - Stone Cold Steve Austin CAGE MATCH!

I think you are conflating having a moral code with acting in conformity with a moral code. The fact that people suck doesn't mean they lack an inner moral code. It means they chose not to listen to it.

No, it means that within their inner code something else outweighs the potentially wrong act. If someone sacks a city and kills a bunch of people, it doesn't mean that they didn't listen to their moral code telling them not to kill people, it means that in their moral code the benefits of sacking a city outweigh the alleged wrong of killing people.

Back