• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...n-sounds-off-on-gays-20131218,0,6319736.story

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he tells reporter Drew Magary. “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

I wonder what Phil thinks about gluttony (he has a fat wife and son) greed and pride (his likeness plastered all over everything @ Walmart). If god is anything like his followers I don't want anything to do with him/her/it.

A&E can do whatever they want, and surely he knows by now that if you say something like that it's going to create controversy.

...But A&E is pretty fucking thin skinned. The man is entitled to his faith and beliefs stemming from that faith. It's not like he said to string up the fags. He said he believes it's a sin and that God loves everybody. Oooooh, what a troglodyte!

A&E can do whatever they want, and surely he knows by now that if you say something like that it's going to create controversy.

...But A&E is pretty fucking thin skinned. The man is entitled to his faith and beliefs stemming from that faith. It's not like he said to string up the fags. He said he believes it's a sin and that God loves everybody. Oooooh, what a troglodyte!

He compared homosexuality to beastiality....that is a fucking retarded statement and should not just be described as Christians being Christians.

The Facebook thread should have some great posts in about 48 hours. :popcorn:

The man is entitled to his faith and beliefs stemming from that faith. It's not like he said to string up the fags. He said he believes it's a sin and that God loves everybody. Oooooh, what a troglodyte!

There are some faiths and beliefs that society has deemed unacceptable. It happened with race and it's nearly there with homosexuality.

He compared homosexuality to beastiality....that is a fucking retarded statement and should not just be described as Christians being Christians.

how is the statement retarded?

it's ignorant and stupid, but how exactly is it retarded?

I'm enjoying all the "Free speech! Boycott A&E!" Getting thrown around right now. Hilarious.

This one's gonna get ugly. Up until now, the Duck Dynasty clan has had the Midas touch with merchandising and have made a bundle. So much that they're close to overexposed. Some of the younger members of the family may want to keep up the money grab, even if they're not exactly gay friendly. Phil won't walk back his statement and there will be a huge reaction both positively and negatively depending on which end of the political spectrum one sits. They're making so much money that I find it hard to believe the family doesn't have any publicists and that Ole Phil had no idea what the reaction would be. Could be like Trump who made a conscious decision to give up trying to reach a broad market, but own a smaller lucrative niche ala Palin. Issues with controversial statements from celebrities turn up roughly once a month and have been for decades, but there's still a large portion of Americans who cry freedom of speech every time a private employer takes action.

Never seen a millisecond of this show; my reasons for that were pretty much verified. The idea of watching rubes fuck around in the woods never had any appeal anyway. Has anyone read the whole GQ article? Forget his comments on gays- his observations on race relations are amazingly ignorant.

This boils down to one thing: have your views, thoughts, and beliefs. But when you become a pop-culture figure, be it for 15 minutes or 15 years, if you don't want to derail the gravy train, keep your mouth shut. But it's not like he/they won't survive this. The Dog Bounty Hunter guy had an issue and is still on (IIRC); Riley Cooper is still catching passes; Michael Richards is on a new sitcom; Christ, even Paula Fucking Poundstone is touring again. Having shit for brains doesn't mean you're down and out. Hell, even Palin still gets a microphone stuck in front of her gaping maw.

Never seen a millisecond of this show; my reasons for that were pretty much verified. The idea of watching rubes fuck around in the woods never had any appeal anyway. Has anyone read the whole GQ article? Forget his comments on gays- his observations on race relations are amazingly ignorant.

This boils down to one thing: have your views, thoughts, and beliefs. But when you become a pop-culture figure, be it for 15 minutes or 15 years, if you don't want to derail the gravy train, keep your mouth shut. But it's not like he/they won't survive this. The Dog Bounty Hunter guy had an issue and is still on (IIRC); Riley Cooper is still catching passes; Michael Richards is on a new sitcom; Christ, even Paula Fucking Poundstone is touring again. Having shit for brains doesn't mean you're down and out. Hell, even Palin still gets a microphone stuck in front of her gaping maw.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Everyone was happy!

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Yeah, I read the whole article yesterday and to me that was way worse than anything he said about gays

Yeah, I read the whole article yesterday and to me that was way worse than anything he said about gays

Both comments were honestly not at all surprising. The guy is a redneck, of course he feels this way.

these are the same people that love capitalism........sorry bro freedom of speech is not exactly a right in the workplace----TRUTH

Both comments were honestly not at all surprising. The guy is a redneck, of course he feels this way.

Eh, I know a lot of old rednecks who would totally agree with him on the gay comments but would acknowledge that blacks were treated pretty shitty in the early 20th century.

The "freedom of speech" strawman is really tiresome. It's as abused a term as "literally." Some people really need to get a little more informed about what "freedom of speech" entails before saying this is an instance of it being repressed.

The "freedom of speech" strawman is really tiresome. It's as abused a term as "literally." Some people really need to get a little more informed about what "freedom of speech" entails before saying this is an instance of it being repressed.

did you know they added a new definition of literally to the dictionary? the bastardized version meaning overemphasis...my head literally exploded when I heard that!

Never seen the show- I just know they are three guys with long beards and rednecks love it. Based on that I think most viewers are cool with his comments.

Back