• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

The Facebook thread should have some great posts in about 48 hours. :popcorn:

Apparently in America everyone has the right to free speech except a 70 year old Christian who quotes the Bible and his beliefs and then goes on to say that he is not judging anyone, it is just what he believes.

I support what Phil Robertson said and how he said it. He didn't say he judged homosexuals or that he didn't love them the same as everyone else. He simply stated his beliefs and nothing else.

Quoting a friend of mine, apparently "the only acceptable form of hate in this country is hating Christians."

Apparently in America everyone has the right to free speech except a 70 year old Christian who quotes the Bible and his beliefs and then goes on to say that he is not judging anyone, it is just what he believes.

I support what Phil Robertson said and how he said it. He didn't say he judged homosexuals or that he didn't love them the same as everyone else. He simply stated his beliefs and nothing else.

Quoting a friend of mine, apparently "the only acceptable form of hate in this country is hating Christians."

poor ol' Christians have had it so tough in this country

Christians whining is so fucking tiresome. There is no more Christian nation in the world than America...if you feel persecuted here you might want to think about starting your own commune.

how is the statement retarded?

it's ignorant and stupid, but how exactly is it retarded?

The Google definition of retarded is

less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age

I would say his comments are less advanced in mental or social development for this age.

between this and the the War on Christmas, December has been a tough month

Eh, I know a lot of old rednecks who would totally agree with him on the gay comments but would acknowledge that blacks were treated pretty shitty in the early 20th century.

And I know of people today that won't do thing or go places if blacks are there. It's a pretty sad commentary.

My issue with this whole thing is the suspension. The comments should not have shocked A&E. I'm sure he had a pr person present at the interview and the questions were likely reviewed ahead of time. Why did A&E allow the question to be asked and Phil to answer when they knew where he stood and didn't support it. To me it seems that a pr mistake was made on A&E's part.

Who owns the show's premise and franchise? Can't see the family staying on A&E without Phil, but can they shop the same show on another network with the same premise, same cast, and a different name? Predict the A&E and the Robertsons take financial hits and both sets of attorneys make huge bank.

Only the "Christians" who think Jesus would've hated anyone different than they are and would've hated helping the poor

Nah, anyone who talks openly about their faith is mocked mercilessly. RevDeac got attacked for not wanting tonparticipate in the commercialization of Christmas- like he was a commie or something. It happens. Of course people get attacked for all sorts of things. I accept that's the way it is, but I think some of the Christian hate on here is a bit ridiculous, and I say that as an agnostic who is not a fan of religion at all.

Nah, anyone who talks openly about their faith is mocked mercilessly. RevDeac got attacked for not wanting tonparticipate in the commercialization of Christmas- like he was a commie or something. It happens. Of course people get attacked for all sorts of things. I accept that's the way it is, but I think some of the Christian hate on here is a bit ridiculous, and I say that as an agnostic who is not a fan of religion at all.

I think "mocked mercilessly" is kind of an exaggeration. And I don't think anyone is attacked when they state their belief, only when they try to apply their beliefs to others.

(Note, I am speaking generally. Moonz probably attacks anyone for any reason)

Last edited:

probably because intolerance of other people based on religious beliefs is the source of the majority of the world's problems

And I know of people today that won't do thing or go places if blacks are there. It's a pretty sad commentary.

My issue with this whole thing is the suspension. The comments should not have shocked A&E. I'm sure he had a pr person present at the interview and the questions were likely reviewed ahead of time. Why did A&E allow the question to be asked and Phil to answer when they knew where he stood and didn't support it. To me it seems that a pr mistake was made on A&E's part.

You mean even the street or the ballpark?

probably because intolerance of other people based on religious beliefs is the source of the majority of the world's problems

Or lack of. The "war on Christians" rhetoric is juuuuust this side of the "war on white people." Typically the "war on" rhetoric is spouted by those who've never bothered to walk in the shoes of those whom they themselves hate. And even when they do interact with those of different lifestyles, they're utterly hypocritical and two-faced with their "behind their back" epithets. It's the "I have black friends" syndrome.

yes, I'm totally intolerant of those who hide their bigotry behind religious convictions. There should be no tolerating hate or injustice towards women, LGBT's, the poor or non-believers.

Back