• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

Who owns the show's premise and franchise? Can't see the family staying on A&E without Phil, but can they shop the same show on another network with the same premise, same cast, and a different name? Predict the A&E and the Robertsons take financial hits and both sets of attorneys make huge bank.

I would have to see the end credits to know. Some reality shows are an independent production company (for example the kardashians show is owned by secreast productions) others are owned by the actual channel (real housewives is owned and produced by bravo).

A couple months back, Phil had said he wouldn't be on the show after 2014 but it would continue without him. Based on that comment the family may do it without him. They used to appear on a hunting show on one of the hunting channels so they could always go in that direction. At the same time it is the #1 reality show. Im sure another channel would pick them up if they wanted.

yes, I'm totally intolerant of those who hide their bigotry behind religious convictions. There should be no tolerating hate or injustice towards women, LGBT's, the poor or non-believers.

Do you really believe this constitutes the majority of Christians in this country? Also, it's not as if atheists are immune to similar prejudices.

not seeing where I excluded atheists nor did i say 'majority' of anything. it was a pretty flat statement.

I think it's bullshit that you equate the "intolerance" of telling someone on the internet that they are full of shit with the ACTUAL intolerance of being fired, losing your housing, getting ostracized by your family, being beaten up because of who you are.

I think it's bullshit that you equate the "intolerance" of telling someone on the internet that they are full of shit with the ACTUAL intolerance of being fired, losing your housing, getting ostracized by your family, being beaten up because of who you are.

I think it's bullshit that you try to justify the intolerance we see on here (and which you might've participated in?) by crafting a straw man. Intolerance is intolerance. And when intolerant atheists were in charge and had the means to punish they did all those things and worse- just look at all the places of worship that were destroyed and the tens of millions that were executed in the Soviet Union and China.

I think it's bullshit that you try to justify the intolerance we see on here (and which you might've participated in?) by crafting a straw man. Intolerance is intolerance. And when intolerant atheists were in charge and had the means to punish they did all those things and worse- just look at all the places of worship that were destroyed and the tens of millions that were executed in the Soviet Union and China.

Wait, who is the one crafting a strawman?

Telling someone that they are a bigot, when they espouse bigoted views, is not intolerance.

Guess we've found a topic that brings out your "asshole" button. But seriously, please stop.

Pointing out intolerance makes me an "asshole"- you're as thin skinned and intolerant when it comes to your atheism as any true believer.

the only straw man here is the one you keep referring to, namely that people tolerate "militant atheists" (communists, nazis, etc.). except no one is excusing them.

in fact, it's worse because you're slyly implying that systemic religious bigotry and intolerance should be given a pass in the face of this supposed "atheist tolerance"

Wait, who is the one crafting a strawman?

Telling someone that they are a bigot, when they espouse bigoted views, is not intolerance.

Sure, if someone is doing that fine. But Christians on here have been attacked who did not do that. Go check out the Christmas thread where RevDeac was attacked.

the only straw man here is the one you keep referring to, namely that people tolerate "militant atheists" (communists, nazis, etc.). except no one is excusing them.

in fact, it's worse because you're slyly implying that systemic religious bigotry and intolerance should be given a pass in the face of this supposed "atheist tolerance"

No. I'm simply pointing out that militant atheists can be every bit as intolerant as the religious they so despise and when in power can be every bit as cruel. That does not make me an apologist for bigotry.

No. I'm simply pointing out that militant atheists can be every bit as intolerant as the religious they so despise and when in power can be every bit as cruel. That does not make me an apologist for bigotry.

Jesus H. It's useless- your credibility is fucking shot.

Please show us the slightest bit of evidence of this atheistic intolerance "when in power" which has so persecuted Christians or any other religion- and here's the tricky part- in the name of atheism. I await the names of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, et al. Good luck with that. It's like arguing with bullhorn-carrying zealots in the woods who rail about how minorities are taking jobs from whites.

Keep on ignoring the 1,000 pound gorilla in the room for focusing on gnats.

Jesus H. It's useless- your credibility is fucking shot.

Please show us the slightest bit of evidence of this atheistic intolerance "when in power" which has so persecuted Christians or any other religion- and here's the tricky part- in the name of atheism. I await the names of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, et al. Good luck with that. It's like arguing with bullhorn-carrying zealots in the woods who rail about how minorities are taking jobs from whites.

Keep on ignoring the 1,000 pound gorilla in the room for focusing on gnats.
Well, I don't think Hitler was an atheist but if you're unaware of the religious persecution that took place in the Soviet Union and China you're ignorant of history.

What's the big deal? He said he wasn't judging anyone. Said he loves all people - even GAYBUTTSEXERS and terrorists - the same.

Well, I don't think Hitler was an atheist but if you're unaware of the religious persecution that took place in the Soviet Union and China you're ignorant of history.

i think he's saying we already condemn(ed) nazism and stalinism/communism. so name some other "militant atheists"

Stalin, and to a lesser extent Lenin, was absolutely an atheist who openly persecuted people because of his opposition to their religion.

Now the Third Reich was different because Hitler was very much into mysticism and some of the pagan stuff, but at the heart of it he did see modern religion as an evil institution that he could co-opt and then eliminate.

I'd also throw Mao and Pol Pot into this discussion as well.

Sure, if someone is doing that fine. But Christians on here have been attacked who did not do that. Go check out the Christmas thread where RevDeac was attacked.

This is absurd. Beyond some random potshots, the only person on the Christmas thread who legitimately disagreed with RevDeac's position on Santa Claus was me, and we were having a debate.

Back