• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

I saw an interesting article the other day about how vampire bats will die if they don't drink blood for more than two days. Other bats will regurgitate their own harvested blood to help their buddies out. I wonder what type of bat religion taught them to be so altruistic.

They just want to make sure there are bitch bats around to fuck.

WTF? So you are an atheist who bases his "right and wrong" from a rule clearly rooted in religion, but downplays the importance of religion. You can't make this shit up.

Golden rule is not rooted in religion. It predates Christianity alone by at least 2000 years.

So this is awkward.

I also never said religion wasn't important for the masses and some semblance of social order (since it's clear that a lot of people like Phil would be like chickens with their heads cut off without some established tenets to blindly follow), I just don't personally believe in a God of any kind nor do I need to rely upon a two thousand year old set of tenets to conduct my own life within the confines of 2015 society.

But really, if a bat's going to be a good wingman he has to keep his partner hydrated with fresh blood to make him appealing to the bat bitches.

Golden rule is not rooted in religion. It predates Christianity alone by at least 2000 years.

So this is awkward.

Exactly what I was thinking. It reminds me of when teen girls read old as fuck jokes for the first time when they are tweeted by celebrities trying to be funny and then people are like "omg [insert bravo star here] is so funny and original!" I'd argue that there is very little in Christianity that is original. Almost all of the major themes, parables, etc. can be seen elsewhere.

Exactly what I was thinking. It reminds me of when teen girls read old as fuck jokes for the first time when they are tweeted by celebrities trying to be funny and then people are like "omg [insert bravo star here] is so funny and original!" I'd argue that there is very little in Christianity that is original. Almost all of the major themes, parables, etc. can be seen elsewhere.

The argument isn't whether it came from Christianity or whether Christianity is original, the argument is that it came from religion.

he didnt say "the golden rule is rooted in religion'

he said it "pre-dates Christianity alone"

Yes, that is kind of the point. Regardless of what you call it or what mythical stories surround it, morality has for the most part been shaped by the belief in something. Whether it actually comes from that something or not, who the hell knows, but the belief in that something (and often the consequences of disobeying that something) is what creates the morality.

Yes, that is kind of the point. Regardless of what you call it or what mythical stories surround it, morality has for the most part been shaped by the belief in something. Whether it actually comes from that something or not, who the hell knows, but the belief in that something (and often the consequences of disobeying that something) is what creates the morality.

So atheists can't have true morality?

So atheists can't have true morality?

According to 2&2 and Junebug, no. Frankly, it is a load of horseshit. We've known for sometime that animals demonstrate distinct signs of morality. Does their morality stem from some type of religion?

Laughable.

Back