• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson suspended for comments about gays

Sure, Mr. High and Mighty, go ahead and judge the work of people in government for dozens of years of human history.

I'm willing to contrast the impact from a broken system that has millions of people trapped in multigenerational cyclical poverty with the fallout from the musings of a man who makes duck calls. There is a big difference between arguing with someone's head than judging their heart. I think the Welfare State's defenders hearts are in the right place, but their heads are way off.

Last edited:
I hate this thread.

Tunnels threads that hit the double digits in pages tend to get very silly.

Actually, plenty that don't hit double digits tend to get very silly. The Tunnels is a dark and scary place.

Looks like I was right, after all (page 7, post 135). Where's my fucking cookie?

Looks like I was right, after all (page 7, post 135). Where's my fucking cookie?

If your prediction was that A&E wouldn't actually give up it's golden goose, congrats. Huge reach. There were 2 main points in this whole shit show

1. Employers are free to fire employees who misrepresent and embarrass them in the public sphere.
2. People are free to vocalize their religious beliefs, but those people can still be labeled bigots if their public-made beliefs are bigoted.

Last edited:
One part that's been under reported is Phil blaming Pearl Harbor on Japan's lack of Christianity. Not really sure which Biblical passage supports the use of an atomic bomb. Pretty sure Jesus wasn't too stoked about 200,000 people being killed and two cities destroyed by the side that had embraced Christianity more effectively. Westboro Baptist is big on a vengeful God, but I'm surprised that more Christians haven't distanced themselves from that part of Phil's rant.

Also curious to see how this turns out commercially. The Beverly Hillbillies and Andy Griffith weren't watched exclusively by residents of the Ozarks or North Carolina. Duck Dynasty will lose a few walk on the wild side viewers, but they'll be replaced by the war of religion types. If the Robertsons participate too heavily in A&E's tolerance PSAs some level of the true believers will be disappointed in any acknowledgement of Phil's statements offending anyone. God bless us everyone. Chick Fil A would have never backed off funding anti-gay organizations if that was a clear long-term money-making advantage for them. Phil being reinstated is a huge win for some social conservatives, but the legislative and judicial losses are far more meaningful in terms of how America will evolve in the next 5 to 10 years. Don't think Palin ever had a chance to appeal to more than 30% of America, but Trump and the Robertsons once had aspirations to reach as broad an audience as possible.

I can't wait for this ridiculous family to slip up and show their hypocrisy and seal their own fate. That old fucker with the beard getting blown by a goth teen is my bet

I can't wait for this ridiculous family to slip up and show their hypocrisy and seal their own fate. That old fucker with the beard getting blown by a goth teen is my bet

Very little doubt in my mind that someone in that family or close to that family has been going through their own personal hell the last couple of weeks.

That's what's ignorant about Phil's comments: he implies that homosexuality is solely about the gratification of sex and, in doing so, implies that it's a choice.

"Judge the sin, not the sinner" doesn't apply when the "sin" at hand is a core part of a person's identity. Phil has only thought about it from his own Bible thumping perspective; he hasn't thought about how hard it would actually be to be gay, even in this day and age, particularly in the south where his type is prevalent. People are inherently lazy and selfish..if homosexuality was a choice it would certainly not be chosen because of how difficult it makes it to be happy, at a personal level, at a family level, at a professional level.

FWIW, I watched Duck Dynasty occasionally. I knew there was probably something like this lurking beneath (although the racial comments were probably more offensive..really should avoid mentioning cotton picking in conjunction with race relations..just a good rule of thumb), but it was fairly entertaining, at least before it became so clearly staged, so I ignored it. I'm done with it now.

Very little doubt in my mind that someone in that family or close to that family has been going through their own personal hell the last couple of weeks.

That's what's ignorant about Phil's comments: he implies that homosexuality is solely about the gratification of sex and, in doing so, implies that it's a choice.

Phil's 67 so it's pretty likely that marriage equality will be recognized nationally during his lifetime. Also likely that some of his grandchildren are gay. I sense that the second generation of Robertsons is much more money-oriented and PR savvy than Phil, so what are they going to say to/about Phil when either event inevitably happens?

Phil's 67 so it's pretty likely that marriage equality will be recognized nationally during his lifetime. Also likely that some of his grandchildren are gay. I sense that the second generation of Robertsons is much more money-oriented and PR savvy than Phil, so what are they going to say to/about Phil when either event inevitably happens?

PR Savvy DD = ZERO $$$

That is kind of the point of the show I think.

PR Savvy DD = ZERO $$$

That is kind of the point of the show I think.

More than a few ardent segregationists spent the '70s and '80s distancing themselves from their earlier positions and some of their kids are still apologizing today. No doubt both A&E and the Robertsons are both operating on the assumption that they'll part ways once their current contract ends. The networks that have expressed interest in picking up the show don't have deeper pockets than Team Rodent, so, like Palin, the Robertsons may take a pay cut on their next contract. One of the second generation is a Preacher who likely wants to remain some credibility/viability after the show runs its course. The Robertsons want a folksy wholesome image like the Cleavers, Clampetts, Andy Grifffith. Anything remotely close to a hard line stance on gays hurts that desired image. That's just dealing with their external image. Much worse internal problems if they have gay members as part of their clan. Rick Warren sold a zillion books and took a hard line stance on Prop 8 in 2008 and has been walking back his quotes ever since. He passed altogether when asked about marriage equality in a Time interview last week.

At a Sportsmen’s Ministry talk in 2009, Robertson had some advice for a young man.

“Make sure that she can cook a meal, you need to eat some meals that she cooks, check that out,” he said. “Make sure she carries her Bible. That’ll save you a lot of trouble down the road. And if she picks your ducks, now, that’s a woman.”

“They got to where they’re getting hard to find,” Robertson remarked. “Mainly because these boys are waiting until they get to be about 20 years old before they marry ‘em. Look, you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket.”

The Duck Commander company founder added: “You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16, they’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that of course.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...arry-a-bible-cook-and-marry-when-they-are-15/

At a Sportsmen’s Ministry talk in 2009, Robertson had some advice for a young man.

“Make sure that she can cook a meal, you need to eat some meals that she cooks, check that out,” he said. “Make sure she carries her Bible. That’ll save you a lot of trouble down the road. And if she picks your ducks, now, that’s a woman.”

“They got to where they’re getting hard to find,” Robertson remarked. “Mainly because these boys are waiting until they get to be about 20 years old before they marry ‘em. Look, you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket.”

The Duck Commander company founder added: “You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16, they’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that of course.”

That's good shit. I think I'm gonna have to tune in.

That's good shit. I think I'm gonna have to tune in.

Put aside all of the political/religious stuff and the show is hard to watch even then. It is unbelievably staged. Moreso than any reality TV that TWToy watches.

Put aside all of the political/religious stuff and the show is hard to watch even then. It is unbelievably staged. Moreso than any reality TV that TWToy watches.

That is what always got me. The staging was too obvious. I could never buy into it. I think i have seen about 2/3 episodes and that was about all I could handle.

OK, thanks for the warning. I'll plow ahead thinking that bigots are bigots and should be rebuked for being bigots, and we'll see how calling a gay person full of deceit and murder in a public space looks in the next few years. My guess is it won't be a good look, but it's possible the weight of "millions of years of human history" (lol) may come crashing down on me.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/melissa-harris-perry-and-msnbc-panel-mock-mitt-romneys-black-grandson/

Back