• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke Game Review / Delaware Game Week Thread

Much more concerned about Army than Delaware; the Black Knights are looking to be bowl-bound this year and I'm sure we're circled in their schedule as a crucial W.

Yep- and they've got their own "5th Quarter" thing going on now with the death of a player on the squad.

If you can get Wake laying 20 or more at home, taking the dog has to be one of the surest things in sports. 80% or more I would think over the years.

Not sure about this. We've been pretty good at killing these FCS teams.

Not always, but generally

I don't have the game spreads but here's our record against FCS teams going back to 2009:

2009: Beat Elon 35-7
2010: Beat Presbyterian 53-13
2011: Beat Gardner-Webb 48-5
2012: Beat Liberty 20-17
2013: Beat Presbyterian 31-7
2014: Beat Gardner-Webb 23-7
2015: Beat Elon 41-3

Average Score: 36-8

I don't have the game spreads but here's our record against FCS teams going back to 2009:

That Liberty game was a real scare. The Presby game in 2013 was very unimpressive and the GW game the following year was closer than the final score.

well in a manner of speaking you laughed at creamy for suggesting we'd win

not sure i've really ever seen you predict a win, not that i blame you

I had us beating Tulane 23-13. I guess that was a little too optimistic though looking back

Wondered that myself. They showed Carney on the sidelines celebrating with some of the other RB's after his 55 yard run and Reid was right there sitting on the bench not looking very happy. I hope that wasn't the "I'm pissed to not be playing look" and maybe I'm just reading something into it that's not there?

I noticed Reid pouting the whole game. If I were Clawson, he would not travel to the next game and definitely would not play any time in the future. His body language the entire game reeked of resentment and negativity. Every singer player on that sideline should be into the game, excited for their teammates, cheering positive plays and showing their desire to win --- whether on the field or off. I did not see one moment of that from Reid. If it's about yourself and your playing time, you are not about the team. If you're not about team, you probably want get your cleats on the field -- and with what I've seen so far - thankfully - from Clawson and his coaches - you probably won't be in the program long-term.

I noticed Reid pouting the whole game. If I were Clawson, he would not travel to the next game and definitely would not play any time in the future. His body language the entire game reeked of resentment and negativity. Every singer player on that sideline should be into the game, excited for their teammates, cheering positive plays and showing their desire to win --- whether on the field or off. I did not see one moment of that from Reid. If it's about yourself and your playing time, you are not about the team. If you're not about team, you probably want get your cleats on the field -- and with what I've seen so far - thankfully - from Clawson and his coaches - you probably won't be in the program long-term.

Needs to stay healthy for a little while.....

Yep, I'm concerned too. Delaware is a good FCS program, I know they've been down a few years, but they are a good FCS program. We can't afford a letdown, we need to go out and take care of business.

Delaware is a lot better than any of the FCS teams we've played recently. They like they have made a big jump back toward respectability this year after a few down years. Delaware's RB coach was also an assistant under Clawson at Bowling Green so there will be a lot of familiarity with the system. I expect Wake to win but it will be closer than a lot of people think.

Delaware's RB coach was a low level assistant for one season under Clawson.

Delaware is a lot better than any of the FCS teams we've played recently. They like they have made a big jump back toward respectability this year after a few down years. Delaware's RB coach was also an assistant under Clawson at Bowling Green so there will be a lot of familiarity with the system. I expect Wake to win but it will be closer than a lot of people think.

We are still a 20 point favorite. I know it's Wake and people expect a letdown, but it's pretty rare for a 20 point underdog to win outright.

ETA: Basically the same odds that Colorado beats Michigan in the Big House tomorrow.

Last edited:
Delaware's OC worked with Chip Kelly at New Hampshire. The backgrounds of college coaches, particularly assistants are interesting as there is so much job turnover. Sad to read the RB coach that worked under Clawson at BG recently lost his wife. Delaware's head coach was on the UNC staff under John Bunting. I miss old JB.

I don't know anything about Delaware other than what has been said or written about them this week. Looks like their running game is a big thing, according to Clawson and this year's stats. Clawson pointed to last year's UNC-Delaware game as evidence. I vaguely recall that UNC's defense last year was very suspect, if not weak, in the rushing defense department. I could be wrong but think I recall correctly. Nevertheless, they gave up a lot of rushing yardage to Delaware, but held them to 14 points. I also have a lot of respect for Duke's run game which has some very good, hard-running backs like Jela Duncan who ripped us and others in previous seasons. Duke's rushing was held to 37 yds last weekend despite some good gains by their QB Jones.

I expect Wake to handle Delaware's rushing attack pretty well. I don't know if we'll stone them, but I don't believe they'll be breaking big gains with any regularity.

I'm hopeful, but am not sure what to expect, that Wake's offense will continue the production we saw against Duke against Delaware, which I only surmise has a less stout defense than Duke.

If it all works out that way we should be 20+ point winners. I would have trouble believing Delaware is better than a present-day Cutcliffe Duke team.

Back