• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

Clawson Post Game Highlights:
"That was one of the better offensive performances that we've had in quite a while. We couldn't finish drives and we didn't convert short yardage. We missed a couple of field goals."

“Well, he didn’t have the glove on and was having trouble gripping the ball, and put the glove on so he could grip it better.”

“He (Griffis) was playing really well. At one point last week he was 1-of-8, and he was 8-of-8 tonight. He ran the ball well. He was efficient throwing it and made some good throws. The ball just slipped out of his hand.”

"That was one of the better offensive performances that we've had in quite a while. We couldn't finish drives and we didn't convert short yardage. We missed a couple of field goals."

“Well, he didn’t have the glove on and was having trouble gripping the ball, and put the glove on so he could grip it better.”

“He (Griffis) was playing really well. At one point last week he was 1-of-8, and he was 8-of-8 tonight. He ran the ball well. He was efficient throwing it and made some good throws. The ball just slipped out of his hand.”
Your 3rd string QB led the team on a game winning drive vs an ACC and never threw such a pass (i.e. no chance of a TO.) Others can list all the other things Griffis did that Marucci didn't. Even the little things like running the ball to the left hash down near the goal instead of falling in the middle of the field to guarantee the field goal.

Last edited:

Yeah, and the condom broke and she got pregnant. Always have to enjoy those talking points and excuses.

Every angle I think about this game from is infuriating. Dennis misses two-yeah it happens, but did it have to be today? Mitch has a bunch of completions (and he actually made some throws-its not like he was some half assed game manager running up his completion percentage by dumping it off to the RB), but every other weakness in his game was painfully apparent. Our short yardage game was atrocious-i remember a time me where we would have at least considered going for it in 4th down on the second to last drive. Jones two penalties. This is gonna keep me up.

Every angle I think about this game from is infuriating. Dennis misses two-yeah it happens, but did it have to be today? Mitch has a bunch of completions (and he actually made some throws-its not like he was some half assed game manager running up his completion percentage by dumping it off to the RB), but every other weakness in his game was painfully apparent. Our short yardage game was atrocious-i remember a time me where we would have at least considered going for it in 4th down on the second to last drive. Jones two penalties. This is gonna keep me up.
There is rarely a rhyme or reason for his mesh decisions. Holds it forever then hands it off for 1-3 yd run.

There is rarely a rhyme or reason for his mesh decisions. Holds it forever then hands it off for 1-3 yd run.
Or he holds it forever and runs for 1 yard himself.

Or he holds it forever and runs for 1 yard himself.
Yes, this too. My guess is these are the times he can't really see the field so he calls for a run not because LBs are in pass support, but because he has no idea who is straight ahead or around the corners....he can't see.

Last edited:
Just rolling around in bed thinking about those fumbles or interceptions or whatever and how undisciplined we are. Pitiful. Clawson sucks

I’m still mad, so correct me if I’m wrong: with 2 mins left it was appx 3rd and 13 from Duke’s 30ish and it was CLEAR Duke either throws a deep pass/punt (the other option was punting the ball to us tied with 2 mins and 3 timeouts…)……yet somehow on a 2 step timing drop, their guy gets behind us and we have to drag him down for PI. WTF? How does Jones get burned so badly he has to commit PI??? I don’t understand how we notoriously play 5 yards off guys, yet can’t stop from getting burned and holding for a game losing PI.

I know we were all pissed about Duke’s rushing, and that would have been frustrating, but putting your DB in a position where he can’t even cover a first down without tackling him to cover 12+ yards? They threw a dummy jump ball, but I don’t understand how we were ever in a position to get burnt and need to drag him down for a 15 yard penalty. A contested ball? Maybe. But PI’ing for your life from behind? I don’t get the defensive play call.

Last edited:
I’m still mad, so correct me if I’m wrong: with 2 mins left it was appx 3rd and 13 from Duke’s 30ish and it was CLEAR Duke either throws a deep pass/punt (the other option was punting the ball to us tied with 2 mins and 3 timeouts…)……yet somehow on a 2 step timing drop, their guy gets behind us and we have to drag him down for PI. WTF? How does Jones get burned so badly he has to commit PI??? I don’t understand how we notoriously play 5 yards off guys, yet can’t stop from getting burned and holding for a game losing PI.

I know we were all pissed about Duke’s rushing, and that would have been frustrating, but putting your DB in a position where he can’t even cover a first down without tackling him to cover 12+ yards? They threw a dummy jump ball, but I don’t understand how we were ever in a position to get burnt and need to drag him down for a 15 yard penalty. A contested ball? Maybe. But PI’ing for your life from behind? I don’t get the defensive play call.
One of the most blowout potential conference games that Wake’s had in recent memory, yet they screwed the pooch.

It was baffling how often Mitch only looked at one receiver when others were open. It was like he was told not to take sacks, look at one guy, then run if that guy isn’t open. We can’t have a QB who can only play with those directions, especially when they have fumble-itis.

Our short yardage issues have been a problem for years now, and frankly it’s a tired excuse from Clawson. Sure, it’s going to be more difficult to convert when we hand the ball off to a RB that is 3-5 yards behind the LOS while slow walking the mesh - it’s the dumbest shit ever. The off tackle rushing in short yardage is also ineffective and it needs to stop (it’s never worked that I can remember). The simple play will probably work, but we just don’t want to make it easy on ourselves and choose the more difficult and elaborate scheme for whatever reason. It’s the most frustrating thing we do, IMHO. Handing it to Mitch for a QB sneak in those situations is also mind boggling when we have the RBs that we do.

One big complaint I have with Coach R and Clawson is that we don’t seem to change or adapt our offensive methodology as we get farther down the field. I get the slow mesh RPO when you have a much longer field to work with, but those same plays simply do not work the same way when the defense has less field to cover. You’d think with Clawson being driven by data that he and Coach R would change this, seeing as though we have the worst red zone scoring offense in all of FBS this year. We don’t seem to play to our strengths and instead rely on the game plan without making the necessary adjustments when things aren’t working. Really disappointed in the job they’ve done this year. Good programs don’t fall back this far after 10 seasons, NIL or not (and they both obviously messed up bigly thinking Mitch was the answer at QB, despite him playing well enough for us to win last night). I’m confident we will turn it around as we have in the past under Clawson, but we have some obstacles now that we haven’t had before.

Back