• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke hiring Hemphill. The search for a new DC begins!

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
Well now. I think this deserves its own thread.

this is somewhat equivalent to firing him into the sun tbf

I'm guessing Elko only watched the footage of our D from the duke game this season.

The masses rejoice!

Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a proactive move on his part or a “let’s agree to go out separate ways” deal.

We should aim for an ace recruiter to replace him. On offense you can win with the X's and O's, on defense you need the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

Someone like Al Washington from Ohio State.

Is this Christmas or April Fools?

If true, this is some 4D chess by Clawson.

This might be a mutual/4D chess move. According to this, he is just going to be the safeties coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/acc-duke-blue-devils-wake-forest-mike-elko-lyle-hemphill

So rather than Hemphill getting fired or demoted by Wake, he gets to take the safeties position coach job at Duke which he has been objectively good at coaching. Our safety play has been very good while he has been here even though the defense as a whole has struggled.

Who is the DC for the Gator Bowl?

I assume Cohen.

I hope Clawson takes this opportunity to do a full search. There aren't many open coordinator positions now. This job should draw a lot of attention from P5 position coaches, G5 DCs, FCS head coaches, and some fired FBS head coaches. We could get someone really good.

Last edited:
This might be a mutual/4D chess move. According to this, he is just going to be the safeties coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/acc-duke-blue-devils-wake-forest-mike-elko-lyle-hemphill

So rather than Hemphill getting fired or demoted by Wake, he gets to take the safeties position coach job at Duke which he has been objectively good at coaching. Our safety play has been very good while he has been here even though the defense as a whole has struggled.

If he took a demotion to go to Duke, then he was going to get fired and "encouraged to look elsewhere." Good move by Clawson.

I view it as a mutual decision. I know some thought Clawson regarded our defense as 'good' this year or good enough even, but I don't think that's the case at all. It was terrible against good teams except for @ UVA, NC State (which there were moments where it was really bad in that game too, but overall it was good), and against Pitt. Duke and BC don't count in my mind as we just dominated them and their offense was so bad that a good defense wasn't needed.

In normal years we lose the Louisville, Syracuse and Army games if our O wasn't really good. Clawson is no dummy and is going to bring in a stud DC to help us take the next step. Give me Manny Diaz or ironically enough, Nate Woody and let's play in the CFP next year.

Back