• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke hiring Hemphill. The search for a new DC begins!

not sure if I missed this anywhere, but an external hire here is exactly the type of thing that the increase in assistant pool money in the contract extension should be for

This might be a mutual/4D chess move. According to this, he is just going to be the safeties coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/acc-duke-blue-devils-wake-forest-mike-elko-lyle-hemphill

So rather than Hemphill getting fired or demoted by Wake, he gets to take the safeties position coach job at Duke which he has been objectively good at coaching. Our safety play has been very good while he has been here even though the defense as a whole has struggled.

Our safeties have been completely abused by UNC, for 2 years, Clemson and Pitt.

I hope we can get a DC that has both a) played football in his life and b) been an assistant coach at any position at any level because Clemson hired A DC that has done neither.

Our safeties have been completely abused by UNC, for 2 years, Clemson and Pitt.

Nick Anderson's complete lack of athleticism got abused by UNC last year, a walk on true freshman covering NFL receivers due to injuries. This year UNC did barely anything in the air and we got gashed repeatedly on the ground. Clemson gashed us on the ground nonstop, two long pass plays, one of which was on a CB, Taylor. Pitt abused a 3rd string safety playing out of position at nickel CB, Keith.

Redd, Greer when healthy and Mustapha have been great players for us. Garnes too before he got injured.

I view it as a mutual decision. I know some thought Clawson regarded our defense as 'good' this year or good enough even, but I don't think that's the case at all. It was terrible against good teams except for @ UVA, NC State (which there were moments where it was really bad in that game too, but overall it was good), and against Pitt. Duke and BC don't count in my mind as we just dominated them and their offense was so bad that a good defense wasn't needed.

In normal years we lose the Louisville, Syracuse and Army games if our O wasn't really good. Clawson is no dummy and is going to bring in a stud DC to help us take the next step. Give me Manny Diaz or ironically enough, Nate Woody and let's play in the CFP next year.

Clawson was clear that the defense needed to improve.

Nick Anderson's complete lack of athleticism got abused by UNC last year, a walk on true freshman covering NFL receivers due to injuries. This year UNC did barely anything in the air and we got gashed repeatedly on the ground. Clemson gashed us on the ground nonstop, two long pass plays, one of which was on a CB, Taylor. Pitt abused a 3rd string safety playing out of position at nickel CB, Keith.

Redd, Greer when healthy and Mustapha have been great players for us. Garnes too before he got injured.

Safeties support run defense as well. Abused on the fake slide, but that was the whole defense including safety.

Safeties support run defense as well. Abused on the fake slide, but that was the whole defense including safety.

I’m not remotely an expert, but a lot of our defensive issues seemed more related to positioning coaching vs coordinating. A lot of over-pursuit and poor tackling.

I’m not remotely an expert, but a lot of our defensive issues seemed more related to positioning coaching vs coordinating. A lot of over-pursuit and poor tackling.

Agree, although I do think our scheme was a major issue.

Would be fine if a few position coaches get replaced as well if I’m being honest. Can’t wait for Pilchard to tell me I’m a bad fan for wanting different coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

For years it’s felt like Wake has fewer players on defense than the opponent.

The LBs have been bad. Some of that is certainly on coaching and some of that is just straight up on lack of physical ability. That's one of the main reasons I think recruiting ability should be one of the most important traits in a new hire. At a certain point on defense you just need dudes. You can scheme and misdirect to overcome athletic deficiencies on offense. On defense there is no trickery that can defend against a team that just wants to go man on man, hat on hat and run it down your throat.

Decent chance we get a new LB coach anyway. If the DC we hire has a LB coach background(Santucci) then the current LB coach, Jones, can be moved to safeties since that is what he did prior to Wake. Similarly, Cohen was always a LB coach prior to Wake so if it's a guy with a DL background then Cohen can be moved to LBs and Jones to safeties. That assumes no other departures.

This. As I mentioned on a few game threads this season, on more than one occasion, we literally did not have a defender anywhere within the frame of the picture. Wide open receivers just running with nothing but green grass.

So, where were our defenders? I mean there's slow but geez I can't believe we were that slow. I know a few years ago, Clawson expressed the same frustration before firing the previous DC.

With any competent defense in 2022, this team could have another VERY special season.

Agreed. While watching the Army-Navy game I could not believe how Navy completely shut down the army offense. I get it that they know that offense really well, but it was so incredibly different than our defensive attempts this year that it was really striking.

Seems frustrating that the year we have a ton of momentum is also the year we have a scholarship squeeze. Pretty clear we need defensive help at every level, six recruits is pretty light.

2022 defensive recruits probably aren't going to help much next year.

Seems frustrating that the year we have a ton of momentum is also the year we have a scholarship squeeze. Pretty clear we need defensive help at every level, six recruits is pretty light.

Maybe we have so much momentum precisely because of the guys who are here who created the squeeze.

Agree, although I do think our scheme was a major issue.

Would be fine if a few position coaches get replaced as well if I’m being honest. Can’t wait for Pilchard to tell me I’m a bad fan for wanting different coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah, you just want the Pilchard bump…

not sure how credible but this account says this wasn’t the only change we are making. they did call that hemphill was going to duke at position coach earlier than others.

Back