• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke hiring Hemphill. The search for a new DC begins!

Yep. The only reason Duke has a bit larger national academic brand than us is because they have a gigantic grad school that we do not have.

Not trying to sell us short but I think this is selling Duke short. They are absolutely known internationally as an elite academic institution.

But to me the beauty of it is that they’re actually known as being generally terrible in football. That’s where being so excellent at basketball hasn’t helped them because it’s such a stark contrast, unlike Stanford for example.

Nobody has ever confused Duke with Lake Forest

Duke wishes they could be like Wake in football. Duke wishes they had a stadium like wake. Duke wishes they had facilities like Wake. Elko can talk all he wants but duke’s brand in football is that they suck and this AFTER David cutcliffe was their coach for about a decade. It is one of the worst jobs in all of college football and Duke football turning its rep around would require multiple multiple seasons of winning football , you know like Wake forest.

Yeah, I've been to all the ACC stadiums. Ours is pretty good, but small, of course, given the size of the student body and the number of our alumni. Wally Wade is a dump. Better than it was when they had the track around the field, but still sucks. Mostly because it's always 50% empty.

Yeah, I've been to all the ACC stadiums. Ours is pretty good, but small, of course, given the size of the student body and the number of our alumni. Wally Wade is a dump. Better than it was when they had the track around the field, but still sucks. Mostly because it's always 50% empty.

50%...that's generous of you.

It has been about 12 years since seeing a game at Wade. Don't you sit on cement there? Do they have real chairbacks?

It has been about 12 years since seeing a game at Wade. Don't you sit on cement there? Do they have real chairbacks?
It's a slightly nicer version of Bowman Gray stadium. I was there a few years ago and some seats had chairbacks. It's still a dump. Not sure if the visiting team still has to dress out in the woods and enter like Pop Warner or if they fixed that.

It's a slightly nicer version of Bowman Gray stadium. I was there a few years ago and some seats had chairbacks. It's still a dump. Not sure if the visiting team still has to dress out in the woods and enter like Pop Warner or if they fixed that.

If you were to guess, how many High School football stadiums in Texas are nicer than Wallace Wade?

Last time I was there, you had to piss on the wall in the Men's Room.

Duke’s endowment grew by $5B in 2021. Duke can buy whatever they want.

I'd be surprised, no shocked if that endowment money was available for athletics.

Of course not, but that will offset some significant operating costs on the university and those offsets might go toward athletics.

Of course not, but that will offset some significant operating costs on the university and those offsets might go toward athletics.

I would highly doubt it but there is always a chance I suppose.
The only way we have been able to step up in such a big way is from private donations. Duke is going to have to hope for the same.

Wake has kept up and then some in the current football facilities arms race mostly because of the generosity of people whose names are on athletics facilities, and a few ore who have made significant contributions but don't have names on buildings. These people have made it possible for Wake football to be competing for championships. The facilities their money built will allow Wake to hire quality staff, including a new high level D coordinator.

A good D coordinator may look at the Wake job and see that if he can build a D that holds opponents to four scores or less, he's done a good job and Wake likely wins. That may well attract a DC who is still prepping for a bowl game at his current school.

Back