• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

It would be a good play because it worked, but that doesn't make it a good call. You could run a play for Muggsy in the low post, and he may figure out a way to get the ball up and in, but that doesn't make it a good call. From the standpoint of a coach's call, it is simply a bad call to run a play for your worst 3 point shooter in a critical situation. 17%

Watch it again. It wasn't run for Moto.

I don't think Moto will ever be a great shooter, but I also think using 17% on a sample size of 17 shots or whatever it is would be ridiculous.

Redick started his sophomore year 4-22 from three. Moto is no Redick nor am I saying he is, but if we were gauging Redick's shooting ability solely on these games like we were Moto people would say he was shitty. Now we don't know if Moto can shoot or not but he keeps taking threes and he keeps getting plays drawn up for him to shoot threes so I'm sure he either makes them in practice or has made them in the past.

Watch it again. It wasn't run for Moto.

I've watched it a few times and it actually does appear to be drawn up for Moto as one of the options. I don't know if it was THE option but Moto was hanging out in that area and when the PG dipped down, Moto was wide open on the elbow.

Cavanaugh is currently ranked 2nd to last on the team (ahead of only Andre) in terms or PER according to basketball-reference.com. For those that are unfamiliar with PER, it is a John Hollinger invention that essentially compiles everything that a basketball player does on the court.

The "league" average is 15 and allows for comparison not just across the league but from season to season as well.

Cav's PER is 7.8, while Travis' 23.6 leads the team. CJ is in second among scholarship players with a 17.1, with Thomas at 16.9.

Even Chase has a 10.0 PER. It is worth noting that PER works much, much better in the NBA than in college. Also, CMM has the 3rd worst PER on the team at 9.8, so take those stats with a grain of salt.

Just another way to look at the overall body of work of a player.

While PER does take into effect defensive statistics (blocks and steals, both of which can be deceiving as to how a player is defensively), it is usually the best utilized for offensive performance.

Also, for those that wanted CJ on Curry instead of Travis down the stretch, keep in mind that CJ's defensive rating (same as offensive rating, just on the defensive side) is 108.7, worst on the team. Travis' has a 97.8 defensive rating, 3rd best on the team.

We will miss CJ a lot next year on the offensive side, but defensively he will be replaceable to say the least, especially if Madison gets a fair amount of his minutes with a 101.8 defensive rating.

I don't think Moto will ever be a great shooter, but I also think using 17% on a sample size of 17 shots or whatever it is would be ridiculous.

Redick started his sophomore year 4-22 from three. Moto is no Redick nor am I saying he is, but if we were gauging Redick's shooting ability solely on these games like we were Moto people would say he was shitty. Now we don't know if Moto can shoot or not but he keeps taking threes and he keeps getting plays drawn up for him to shoot threes so I'm sure he either makes them in practice or has made them in the past.

That's silly. Reddick was a known shooter by his sophomore year. We're talking about Moto as a freshmen and with regards to having key end game plays drawn up for him.

I've watched it a few times and it actually does appear to be drawn up for Moto as one of the options. I don't know if it was THE option but Moto was hanging out in that area and when the PG dipped down, Moto was wide open on the elbow.

Pretty sure Moto was there to set a screen if needed and he got caught watching Madison. He was open, but Madison lost his balance, was worried about traveling and threw it to most open guy instead of CJ or (Travis?). I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me. But Madison stumbled and he threw the pass sooner than he wanted to or slightly panicked.

Edited to add: I just re-watched it and I am wrong. I do think Moto was over to set a screen but for some reason Travis floated to the top of the key and Moto set up for the three on that. It should have been reversed.

Last edited:

Ha. So now we're knocking the play for having poor backup options. When Moto cleared to open space in the lane I guess [Redacted] should have specified that he just keep running of the court, up into the crowd, and out of the arena so that if the original play broke down he wouldn't have the chance to take an open 3.

We didn't run a play for Moto to take a 3. That's where this story ends.

(sorry if this has been asked) Do you think the original plan was to get the ball to CJ or Travis? Was CJ and Travis an option at the time of the pass by Maddy?
I do think Moto can develop a long range shot but not this year.

Considering Plumlee was giving free layups in fear of fouling out by that point, I think the plan might have been for Madison to drive and score instead of going for a 3 - did look like we cleared out for him. Maybe score, maybe foul out Plumlee...

Our floor was awful all night. Why are we the only ACC team who makes kids wipe up by hand with small towels? Everyone else has those big circle push things...

It looks like a coaching boo boo to me now that I replayed it today. I replayed it a few time on Wednesday, but as I watch all games on DVR, it was 1;30AM.

Watching the last 3 1/2 minutes one more time, I have the following observations:

* Both Travis and Madison really ran out of gas. We should have pulled Madison. Madison should have got that long rebound with 2-something left but he was just in a daze. Madison being gassed makes sense as he played more minutes by far than he had to date. But seriously, Travis has to man up a little.

* On the Moto 3, it looked like we were in disarray. Madison makes a fine move, but he's not going to shoot that. That should have been CJ with the ball. Then, Travis inexplicably floats back to cover a Duke fast break (i.e., he moved away from the ball on a the most critical possession of the game).

Got to call coaching on that. We had so many freakin timeouts left, you run a specific play for Devin, CJ, or Travis. Period. Didn't seem to happen.

Back