• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

Rusty also could handle the ball well enough to log time in the NBA as a nominal 1. Chase has a worse handle than Travis. Good kid, but not a HM player. The fact that he is the first recruit of the [Redacted] era speaks volumes. Also shows how bad Coach Battle screwed us with him and Chenault in back-to-back years.

Mike Drum made the most of his opportunity as well. And there are others.

If Chase is playing as a senior that means we blow, same reason Drum played. Which probably means Bzz is here then. Double shit outcome.

Rusty also could handle the ball well enough to log time in the NBA as a nominal 1. Chase has a worse handle than Travis. Good kid, but not a HM player. The fact that he is the first recruit of the [Redacted] era speaks volumes. Also shows how bad Coach Battle screwed us with him and Chenault in back-to-back years.

Agree with nearly everything here, but why does that speak volumes? The general story we've heard was that Chase was Battle's recruit, and when [Redacted] was hired he signed off on keeping the offer to Chase.

I'll say this, we gave the kid a scholarship and we honor it. If we find better players, as we hope, then his time goes down. But it is a little strange that some of us who ripped Bzz for chasing off players (rightfully) are now advocating chasing off Chase. Some of you need a gut check. You can't have it both ways. And I'm the guy who wants to see more Rountree and less Chase.

Definitely think that we honor the scholarship. But I also see his pt decreasing. Now, if we have a big time scoring threat at point he might get some open looks. He can definitely shoot the ball off the pass.

Our monster freshmen class puts us in a position that Chase is going to get minutes. Plus we have two swing players coming in. Chase is going to get minutes. I'm going to pull for him to improve his game, not head to Old Dominion or some such place.

With CJ graduating and McClinton's injury, he will have a chance to get some minutes next year early on. You'd think he would want to give it a shot.

Chase is at a disadvantage athletically. Not sure that can be over-come even by very hard work.

With the progress of Devin and Moto, plus Daniel returning, three-point shooting seems to be the main question mark heading into next year. Chase has the shooting part down, so it's not unreasonable to think that he could carve out a place for himself with some work on strength and ballhandling in the offseason.

The shooting guard who has played 33 mpg or more the past three seasons is graduating, and the replacement coming in is a 3 star (same as Chase, if you'll recall). I don't think Chase is probably all that concerned about playing time.

Chase only seems willing to take wide open threes. When you are limited athletically and vertically, that's a problem.

From Chase's commitment story:
Ripley (WV) Ripley shooting guard Chase Fischer (6-foot-3) originally committed to Marshall when he was a freshman in high school.

"I had a really good relationship with Donnie Jones and Brett Nelson [formerly at Marshall, now at Central Florida], they recruited me hard" Fischer explained. "I felt comfortable with the staff. It was only about an hour away from my town too."

Fischer explained that when Jones left for UCF in late March, former Wake Forest head coach Dino Gaudio and assistant Jeff Battle really started recruiting him.

"It was mainly Coach Battle, and Coach Gaudio, too" he said. "They were supposed to come up to visit me the day after Coach Gaudio got fired [on April 7th]."

Chase was much more a Battle recruit than a [Redacted] recruit. What speaks volumes is that we rounded out that class with Daniel Green and Anthony Fields.

The shooting guard who has played 33 mpg or more the past three seasons is graduating, and the replacement coming in is a 3 star (same as Chase, if you'll recall). I don't think Chase is probably all that concerned about playing time.

His minutes have nearly been cut in half from freshman year to sophomore year. Even within this year, his minutes have dropped significantly since the start of conference play.

There are 2 freshmen ahead of him, and another player coming in at his position next year. I would be shocked if Chase wasn't concerned about playing time.

Last edited:
Yeah, the zebras weren't exactly helpful tonight. But 2 seeming constants once again reared their ugly heads tonight. While we once again executed well offensively, we once again had another poor effort defensively, as Dick shot > 50% from the floor. I've always thought FG% D is the most important team stat, and Buzzdick's teams here and at Colorado have always been at the bottom of the ACC & B12. It's hard to get to .500 in the conference when you're always the worst defensive team in the conference.

The second thing is something I've started thinking about recently. We were even at the last TV timeout last night and ended up losing by 5. Even in our 3 wins, we've been pretty bad in the last 4-5:00 in games - we had 8-10 point leads that we almost blew against UVA, BC and State. Not sure whether it's youth, Buzzdick, some combination thereof or something else, but our last few minutes of close games have consistently been bad.[/QUOTE]

I did not see the game last night but I also have been thinking about the same thing. We have trouble finishing games. We get shaky at the end. These players literaly need to learn how to win at the end on this level. Poor Travis and CJ can be of little help. But before we can take the next step we need to learn how to play in close games and win at the end. There is of course a youth factor here. For those who are old enough, you can remember that the need to learn to win at the end of games was the case when Tacy and Odom rebuilt the basketball program as well. I am pretty sure our players can learn but you can't be too sure that Buzz can teach them until he does.

I've been writing this for several weeks....it's a pattern of a Bz coached team. Nobody can get the shot they need, make the shot they have, or get a defensive stop when you have to have it to finish off the game. Duke is a perfect example of a team with the opposite mentality. It comes from the coach and the bench. We outplayed 'em for much of the game, but not when it counted.

From Chase's commitment story:

Chase was much more a Battle recruit than a [Redacted] recruit. What speaks volumes is that we rounded out that class with Daniel Green and Anthony Fields.

His minutes have nearly been cut in half from freshman year to sophomore year. Even within this year, his minutes have dropped significantly since the start of conference play.

There are 2 freshmen ahead of him, and another player coming in at his position next year. I would be shocked if Chase wasn't concerned about playing time.

Two point guards. CMM will probably spend some time at the shoot guard, but we're going to need 3 pt shooting on the court so I don't see Rountree playing the 2.

I'll say this, we gave the kid a scholarship and we honor it. If we find better players, as we hope, then his time goes down. But it is a little strange that some of us who ripped Bzz for chasing off players (rightfully) are now advocating chasing off Chase. Some of you need a gut check. You can't have it both ways. And I'm the guy who wants to see more Rountree and less Chase.

I believe everybody wants to see more Rountree and less Chase. Chase has just not developed into an ACC player.

This x ∞ + 1.

Moto should have been told by now not to shoot any more three's. If that was a designed play, it was monumentally stupid. Either way, Bzdick's coaching rears its pointy head again.

I thought we could have won too. Putting Moto in that position and letting Thomas sit on the bench at least two minutes too long hurt us. The TV commentators mentioned about how long Thomas had been sitting there, and I knew he sure as hell couldn't help us win sitting there. He could have returned and challenged Plumlee in the last few crucial minutes, when the baskets went Duke's way. Duke adjusted for his presence when he was in the lineup; Thomas has a presence.

Chase is perplexing. While he may be 'shooting' 43% from 3, lately he's putting up air balls and barely hitting the rim from 3. I remember seeing him in the finals (IIRC) for the HS 3pt shooters at the Final 4. Looked like he could help.

Last year he seemed to show a pretty high BB IQ and some decent passing ability.

I think part of his problem is that in ACC play most teams are deep enough to cover him with a decent defender so he doesn't get the shots he gets in the pre-conference part of the schedule.

In ACC play Chase seems to have become a SG that doesn't shoot. I assume he's out there to shoot and not playing backup PG.

Looked up Chase's stats from 3. 20-47, but he was 18-36 in the pre-conf and in the ACC he is 2-11. He made one shot @dook and against UVA, since then he 0-7.

BTW, Rusty was pretty scary handling the ball while in college. He was nowhere near a 1 while at Wake. He developed those skills post Wake, which is a testament to his work ethic to make NBA rosters. After Rutland went down it was tough watching Rusty bring the ball up when he was force to do it.

Chase is at a disadvantage athletically. Not sure that can be over-come even by very hard work.

If you managed to survive in the world with your grammatical skills, then I'll put money on Chase making it through this. Seriously, man.

Just checked the stats through January. I was wrong before when I said that I bet we had taken over last in the ACC from BC in FG% D. We're ranked 259th in the country at 44.3%. BC is ranked 275th at 44.7%. So we're ranked about 50 places below where we were in the CP3 years when we were horrible defensively. And FYI, MD@Alaska, UVA and Miami are all ranked in the top 10 in the country in FG% D. Just look at the records. MD@Alaska and UVA don't wow you with talent this year, and in fact I'd argue they're not much more talented than we are, if at all. But when you have a defensive ethos and you hold opponents to 35-36% as opposed to 44-45%, you're gonna win more games. That's how we used to win a lot of ugly games under Dino when we couldn't throw it in the ocean. But as bad as we are now, I recall that some of Buzzdick's Colorado teams were worse and even closer to 50%.

Back