• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

My spin on that story: Carson's crazy Mom made him transfer. Carson's still a GOOD EGG.

Picture%2B37.png

I'm talking about Wake personnel. It makes sense with our squad to use McKie and Rountree on him after watching CJ struggle primarily by getting shot over. Both of them have the length to challenge his jumper, neither of them are so slow that he would abuse them taking it to the hole. Obviously Curry has more game than Wood, nobody would debate that.

And just to recap - he hit 6 of his 7 field goals prior to putting McKie (and some Rountree) on him, and made 1 field goal (albeit a huge one) for the last 18 minutes of the game, correct? But that switch was a horrible coaching decision? I'm just not following this argument...

You are half right. Anyone calling for CJ to be on Curry towards the end of the game clearly didn't watch the first 30 minutes. At the same time Travis doesn't have the natural instincts or lateral quickness to cover Curry. Rountree should've seen much more time simply to cover curry.

You are half right. Anyone calling for CJ to be on Curry towards the end of the game clearly didn't watch the first 30 minutes. At the same time Travis doesn't have the natural instincts or lateral quickness to cover Curry. Rountree should've seen much more time simply to cover curry.

He doesn't have the lateral quickness to cover Curry, yet Curry scored exactly 0 2-point buckets after we put Travis on him over the last 18 minutes of the game. He had 6 against CJ. Curry and his shin splints are getting seriously overrated in their quickness. He has a decent first step but gets his scores inside on pull-ups and getting his man off balance - not blowing by people.

And Rountree has length - but not much lateral quickness. One of the reasons he's had trouble getting playing time is that he's not strong enough to defend forwards yet but not fast enough to defend most guards - so we tend to press with him and trap. Rountree is still a whole lot of risk and reward out there.

Still, I would have had no problem with him on Curry at the end, but the lineup had Moto instead. Now, whether you want Rountree or Moto in down 3 against Duke at home coming out on offense with 1 minute left... That's a pretty good question.

He doesn't have the lateral quickness to cover Curry, yet Curry scored exactly 0 2-point buckets after we put Travis on him over the last 18 minutes of the game. He had 6 against CJ. Curry and his shin splints are getting seriously overrated in their quickness. He has a decent first step but gets his scores inside on pull-ups and getting his man off balance - not blowing by people.

And Rountree has length - but not much lateral quickness. One of the reasons he's had trouble getting playing time is that he's not strong enough to defend forwards yet but not fast enough to defend most guards - so we tend to press with him and trap. Rountree is still a whole lot of risk and reward out there.

Still, I would have had no problem with him on Curry at the end, but the lineup had Moto instead. Now, whether you want Rountree or Moto in down 3 against Duke at home coming out on offense with 1 minute left... That's a pretty good question.

Travis was not on Curry the last 18 minutes of the game. We played a few different guys: CMM, Rountree, and CJ too. I don't remember seeing Travis on him until the final 4 or 5 minutes but I could be wrong, but he def. didn't cover him the last 18 minutes of the second half.

Random assortment of responses:

1) Obviously putting Travis on Curry at the end didn't work as well as we might have hoped, but I thought it was a smart move to keep CJ from picking up his 5th foul. Certainly wasn't an "idiotic" move by [Redacted], even though it didn't work.
2) Whoever said Chase isn't a shooting threat...he's 43% from 3 this year. And he's definitely good enough to play college basketball. I'd love him at my mid-major team (American). He's just not high-major material unfortunately.
3) All the people quoting Moto's 3pt% like its the gospel...stop. He entered last night 3/16. Is he a good 3 pt shooter? No, I think that much is clear. But 16 attempts means very little. I highly doubt his 'true' 3pt% is 17%.
4) Love seeing RJ hammer state for not having a top 5 offense. Their offense is 11th in KenPom.
5) I think its too early to say that Cav isn't a shooter. He's at 76% from the line. Like Moto, I think his 'true' 3pt% is much higher than 23%.

Travis was not on Curry the last 18 minutes of the game. We played a few different guys: CMM, Rountree, and CJ too. I don't remember seeing Travis on him until the final 4 or 5 minutes but I could be wrong, but he def. didn't cover him the last 18 minutes of the second half.

I thought Curry hit a couple shots to start off the 2nd half, we called a timeout, and switched up the defense. Thought when Rountree was in he covered Curry after McKie had done so to keep some length on him. After that timeout Curry made one field goal the rest of the game, and McKie certainly covered him a fair amount in the 2nd half because the announcers were talking about how we'd gone to Rountree and McKie on him so he couldn't shoot over them as easily more than once. Regardless of who was exactly covering him when, calling [Redacted] an idiot for whatever adjustment was made on Curry makes little sense. Especially when people are criticizing McKie's lateral quickness when the big shot was a 3 pointer, and Travis's last game at home featured him shutting down a 3 point shooter.

Whatever, we lost, good game plan or not. Not arguing for moral victories. Curry's 3 and Moto's 3 were dagger plays, end of story.

I didn't call him an idiot. I just said we left some timeouts on te table and bzd had the option of going with rountree and calling a timeout on the turnover/miss/make to put in offense over D. In hindsight I'm site he wished he did. Travis was a bit gassed. Everyone in was. There was a long rebound that nobody really went for that I think rountree might have snagged too

Regarding Tony and academics: I recall a "throw 'em under the bus" remark by I think Wellman after the three transfers, basically saying something like "we'll two out of the three were really good students" and it was pretty transparent that the odd man out was Tony. It wa a dick move on Wellmans part.

I would think Marshall might not be a bad destination for Chase. Decommitted from there, a WV guy, and Battle played there so may have some connections.

Also, Sonya Curry is looking old. There I said it.

Regarding Tony and academics: I recall a "throw 'em under the bus" remark by I think Wellman after the three transfers, basically saying something like "we'll two out of the three were really good students" and it was pretty transparent that the odd man out was Tony. It wa a dick move on Wellmans part.

I would think Marshall might not be a bad destination for Chase. Decommitted from there, a WV guy, and Battle played there so may have some connections.

THAT was it, yes. Thank you.

Devin actually matched up with Plumlee decently... fought well considering he's undersized and underexperienced. And younger. I'm excited to see what he'll be in a few years.

Sonya looks good, bro.

Pretty good. Chase has had his fair shot. He is not a college basketball player. Sad, I was very hopeful, but a complete disappointment.

He may be a college basketball player. But doubtful ACC quality.

He may be a college basketball player. But doubtful ACC quality.

Well, he is a sophomore. I'm not tossing him under the bus just yet. He's as quick as Rusty was and once we had an inside game Rusty thrived from the 3 as a senior. I'd cut the kid some slack.

Well, he is a sophomore. I'm not tossing him under the bus just yet. He's as quick as Rusty was and once we had an inside game Rusty thrived from the 3 as a senior. I'd cut the kid some slack.

Rusty had a toughness that Chase does not.

Rusty had a toughness that Chase does not.

Well, that's obvious. Rusty had a boss senior season in football and it carried over to basketball. But I'm still not ready to write off a sophomore. He can be a serviceable sub in the rotation. We'll wait and see. What I don't see is any advantage in transferring. He gets minutes, he plays in the ACC and he isn't even going to see Euro ball. So why wouldn't he hang around and have fun playing basketball on an ACC team? I would. Worst case is his minutes decrease and he gets a degree from Wake.

Mike Drum made the most of his opportunity as well. And there are others.

I can definitely see Chase banging it down low with ACC bigmen and making an inside presence. Not.

Back