• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

I think the game plan was generally to shut down the 3 and let Plumlee have his way. Or at least it seemed to be to me.

I believe that you are correct. The idea was to take away the 11 for 22 from beyond the arc they had against us earlier this season, allow 2's inside rather than 3's on the perimeter, push the tempo, and send Plumlee to the line. Everything worked, except they didnt expect Plumlee to shoot 80% from the line.

I believe that you are correct. The idea was to take away the 11 for 22 from beyond the arc they had against us earlier this season, allow 2's inside rather than 3's on the perimeter, push the tempo, and send Plumlee to the line. Everything worked, except they didnt expect Plumlee to shoot 80% from the line.

Yeah, the game plan was actually pretty solid. Tell me you wouldn't have taken a tie game with 3 minutes left and Plumlee with 4 fouls... Then we gave Curry a 3 and Moto took a 3. Rough. The Codi look on the next possession was what we needed instead of Moto, of course he also missed...

The defensive game plan was solid, although the matchups went to shit- I agree that McKie should not be guarding Curry, ever. His defensive instincts are pretty poor to begin with and he doesn't have the footspeed to keep up with Curry (on the other hand 90% of this board is quick enough to cover Scott Wood). Rountree or Miller-McIntyre needed to cover Curry.

The substitution patterns are mystifying- the staff doesn't seem to have any feel for which lineups are our best defensive lineups and which lineups are our best offensive lineups. Down by 3, if you want to have Jones in the game, you need to go with him, Miller-McIntyre, Harris, McKie, and Thomas. You call timeout if we make the 3 and then go with Rountree over Miller-McIntyre for defensive purposes.

The effort was there, however, and that is a credit to the staff and team.

Chase has had his fair shot. He is not a college basketball player. Sad, I was very hopeful, but a complete disappointment.

Plenty of criticism directed at Chase. And I get it, he hasnt delivered on anywhere near a consistent basis. He is a college basketball player ... maybe not at this level. However, not contributing on a regular basis at an ACC school does not mean you are not good enough to play college ball somewhere. To those of you who want to see his minutes go to someone else ... fear not. I fully expect that Chase will transfer (probably to a mid-major) after this season. Not taking a position on whether I think he should, just that I think he will.

I think the time has come to take the training wheels off Rountree and give him all of Fischer's minutes.

FIFY

Chase shouldn't be on the floor period. Unless we are up or down by 20. Go to an eight man rotation. I liked the starting lineup we had last night but ultimately I'd like to see the minutes broken down as follows:

CJ - 34
Travis - 34
Devin - 34
CMM-27
Tree-20
Jones-20
Cav-16
Moto-15

The top three need to play as many minutes as possible. After that the numbers can vary somewhat based on fouls, who is playing better, matchups etc.

Both lead their teams in 3 point attempts by a huge margin. It makes sense to defend them similarly.

That is not true. Curry is one of the more rounded scorers in the ACC right now, who can take you off of the dribble, light you up from outside and do some damage from mid-range.

Why would you want to defend him like a 6'6 spot-up shooter?

What makes you think the coaches aren't working with Cav on his post moves and banging every single day? Have you considered that maybe he's a slow learner or that maybe he has a low ceiling. I don't think he's running drills with the guards every day at practice. And he has bad to mediocre shooting nights almost every time he plays. This is exactly how far along he is.

As opposed to Devin, Cav is practicing at two positions as is evident by him being in position to take lots of outside shots.

That is not true. Curry is one of the more rounded scorers in the ACC right now, who can take you off of the dribble, light you up from outside and do some damage from mid-range.

Why would you want to defend him like a 6'6 spot-up shooter?

I'm talking about Wake personnel. It makes sense with our squad to use McKie and Rountree on him after watching CJ struggle primarily by getting shot over. Both of them have the length to challenge his jumper, neither of them are so slow that he would abuse them taking it to the hole. Obviously Curry has more game than Wood, nobody would debate that.

And just to recap - he hit 6 of his 7 field goals prior to putting McKie (and some Rountree) on him, and made 1 field goal (albeit a huge one) for the last 18 minutes of the game, correct? But that switch was a horrible coaching decision? I'm just not following this argument...

This.

Curry had about five of those looks from 3 down the stretch with Travis guarding him. Unfortunately for us he finally decided to make one when it was 66 all. I have no idea why our loser of a coach didn't switch CJ onto him, bc with that matchup his dagger was inevitable.

That along with keeping Devin on the bench (even after Plumlee got number four) was downright idiotic.

Plenty of criticism directed at Chase. And I get it, he hasnt delivered on anywhere near a consistent basis. He is a college basketball player ... maybe not at this level. However, not contributing on a regular basis at an ACC school does not mean you are not good enough to play college ball somewhere. To those of you who want to see his minutes go to someone else ... fear not. I fully expect that Chase will transfer (probably to a mid-major) after this season. Not taking a position on whether I think he should, just that I think he will.

When do the 'bad egg' rumors start? If there's one consistent in [Redacted]'s reign of terror, it's that good kids stay, bad kids transfer.

When do the 'bad egg' rumors start? If there's one consistent in [Redacted]'s reign of terror, it's that good kids stay, bad kids transfer.

I think the breakdown, rightly or wrongly, is:

Good eggs - Desrosiers, Chennault, Fields, McKie (didn't transfer, but still)

Bad eggs - Stewart, Terrell, Woods

Who am I missing?

I will admit to having hopes for Chase before this season. I thought he showed good basketball awareness last year, even when he couldnt get his shot off. I saw him make some good passes/decisions and I thought with a stronger body he could take a step forward and contribute in more ways than just perimeter shooting.

Problem has been he is not quick enough at this level to make an impact that way. I'm not sure he will ever be anything but a liability on defense. On top of everything his shot is not falling.

I guess he could still turn things around, but it doesn't look promising.

Also, I'd defs put Fischer in the Fields camp of transfers, if that happens.

Seems like a nice kid, works hard, and I can't blame them for seeking out playing time elsewhere. Joe Dukes-ish.

I think the breakdown, rightly or wrongly, is:

Good eggs - Desrosiers, Chennault, Fields, McKie (didn't transfer, but still)

Bad eggs - Stewart, Terrell, Woods

Who am I missing?

Carson's mom brainwashed him (or something). BAD EGG

Also, didn't "academic concerns" trail Tony post-departure?

The broader point being, [Redacted] and our AD have a strange habit of letting gossipy whispers follow many (not all) of our exiting players (and coaches for that matter). Will be interesting if the same happens to Fischer, if he does indeed transfer. Culture! Pro Humanitate! The Wake Forest Way!

Nah, I think it's pretty recognized that Tony went home because his mom was sick and his brother was killed. That's been the party line that's recited on TV, at least, and I haven't heard any whispers of academic issues.

Some people at first said the "home" excuse was bullshit, but Tony did end up at a school in Philadelphia. I can't think of any reason to doubt it.

Nah, I think it's pretty recognized that Tony went home because his mom was sick and his brother was killed. That's been the party line that's recited on TV, at least, and I haven't heard any whispers of academic issues.

Some people at first said the "home" excuse was bullshit, but Tony did end up at a school in Philadelphia. I can't think of any reason to doubt it.
Bro was killed after the transfer iirc.

Back