• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

The first part of that plan is fine - but letting Plumlee have his points would have been a more sound strategy last year when he had a more limited offensive game.

there are two separate issues at play. i was fine with not doubling plum, but it was clear that we were losing him a lot in the middle of the lane. that certainly wasn't part of the game plan.

My thoughts:

-really happy to see the student section so loud for a .500 team that hasn't had a winning season in years
-i don't know why fischer receives any minutes at all; he can't do anything out there unless we're down 3 with 5 seconds left
-rountree needs to see most of cav's minutes; i don't get it; cav shoots better FT's and that's about it; FREE ROUNTREE
-Moto is going to be a solid role player for us; i was disappointed to see him shoot that 3 when we needed a big shot (17.6% 3pt shooter), but he's going to be sneaky good in a year or two
-Not really sure what's up with the Madison/Codi thing, but Madison looked really good out there, so i'm glad we have solid PG options next year

Disappointing that we couldn't get the W, but very proud of the effort and liked what I saw. We just need to bring that type of performance on the road with us, too.

Rountree got to the line last night and swished both, he looks like a legit free throw shooter to me. I agree, I think Rountree should be the first guy off the bench, certainly not behind Cav and Fisher.

I didn't like mckie on curry down the stretch at all. Cj had a bad game and in fact has had a string of them. If he is able to guard curry and play a bit more aggressive, I think we win.

Also about 5 bad turnovers in the 1st half and the Moto 3 were the difference. Madison had not been in a situation like that in college (must get possession) and he threw it to the wrong guy

Edit to add Moto impressed me on the block. He fucking hurt some guys and was almost oblivious to it. Nobody is going to want to guard him next year. Jesus. Also love devin's confidence right now. I think he thinks he is the most talented big on the floor every game. Cannot believe he is becoming a 15/10 guy this year. I thought it would be next year

I think we are going to be more than fine next year w/o cj

In our previous game, CJ had 18 points on 11 shots, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal. Absent that he has had a string of bad game, starting with the Clemson game.

I should have said subpar. Cj gets a lot of points at the ft line. He is shooting a poor % from outside the last 5 or 6 games I believe and not dictating te offense in the half court. Maybe that is not a bad thing. But he did not have acgiod 1st half may he'd up on curry. Bad turnovers not good defense and tentative on offense

His only strength is shooting. His ball-handling is atrocious for a guard, especially against Duke's pressure D.

I just haven't seen any evidence to suggest Chase is a shooting threat. Maybe in high school or in an empty gym he can drain threes. Unfortunately he will have taller, more athletic players in his face while he's here. No chance he ever becomes a shooting threat unless he has some sort of dribbling/speed threat to keep the defenders honest. He doesnt even move without the ball well so its not like we can reserve him for high screens and hope he gets wide open. Its time to bench him, play Tree and Moto first off the bench every time. I think we have enough scorers to remain competitive, but Chase and Cav are major liabilities on defense that we can not afford when we rarely score over 70 points.

First I'm looking at the boards after the game.

- That Moto three wasn't really how the play was designed, was it?

- Agree that Buzz left Devin on the bench too long. If he fouls out, he fouls out. Should have been back in around the 5-6 minute mark, IMO. Cav gave a nice effort, but we lose so much with Devin off the court.

- Officials definitely did not do us any favors

- Duke missed a lot of open threes. I don't think we did as great a job defensively guarding the 3 as others on here. Curry missed 2-3 wide open ones before knocking down the one that proved to be the dagger.

- McKie on a three point shooter is never a good idea. His biggest weakness on D is that he helps constantly and loses guys who drift to the arc. That's why Kelly went off against us so badly in the first game. He's gotten better, but it's still a liability. I don't think putting CJ on Curry would have been smart, though, with the four fouls, because Curry would have just flopped at some point and automatically gotten the whistle. Tree would have been the play, as others have pointed out.

- Nice job by the students - I have given them shit in the past (deserved, IMO) and will praise them when they show up. And they did last night.

i was fine with not doubling plum, but it was clear that we were losing him a lot in the middle of the lane. that certainly wasn't part of the game plan.
Agreed. I actually thought it was a pretty good game plan to not double Plumlee and focus on stopping Duke's perimeter shooting. The problem was Plumlee found himself WIDE OPEN so many times that he wasn't even taking contested shots. He was just dunking. I do think that's the way to beat Duke though, and many teams will use that strategy (more effectively) down the stretch.

As others have said, letting Plumlee try to beat us is a decent strategy (if that's what it was - I still say we didn't guard the three point line that well, despite Duke's poor performance from there). The issue was that our guards couldn't keep their guards out of the lane, either off drives or pick and rolls, and as people rotated, Plumlee ended up open for the lop or dump off for the dunk. Devin did a nice job on him 1-on-1 if Plumlee just got the ball in the post, I thought.

-I tend to think CMM will be fine, he's had ups and downs like most freshmen.
-Really happy to see Madison present a strong backup option at the point, especially as a ball handler. Lots of potential.
-Devin is well ahead of schedule obviously. If he starts to show that jumper out to 12 feet (had one really nice one last night when Plumlee laid off him) and develops a bit more of a right hand he will be very good.
-More minutes for Rountree.
-If Moto commits himself in the offseason he could be a real surprise next year.

The Moto three wasn't a good decision (or play, if it was designed like that), but I have to say, I love the fact that Moto has the balls to take shots or take the ball strong to the hoop down the stretch and try and make things happen. Much better than someone who is too timid to take the burden in crunch time.

The Moto three wasn't a good decision (or play, if it was designed like that), but I have to say, I love the fact that Moto has the balls to take shots or take the ball strong to the hoop down the stretch and try and make things happen. Much better than someone who is too timid to take the burden in crunch time.

He certainly passes the eye test and isn't afraid to mix it up. Gotta like that.

Mesherikov wasn't timid either, but I didn't want him driving the lane or taking crucial 3 pointers.

Note: I think Moto is a vastly superior talent than Nikita.

We would have defended much better against Plumlee if Daniel Green was available. DT had to watch foul trouble and that led to a lot of easy baskets for Plumlee. DG would have given us 5 fouls and put a very poor FT shooter on the line.

We would have defended much better against Plumlee if Daniel Green was available. DT had to watch foul trouble and that led to a lot of easy baskets for Plumlee. DG would have given us 5 fouls and put a very poor FT shooter on the line.

If we just would want Green to hack away and send Plumlee to the line.... then why didn't Washington play?

Back