• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

The Moto three wasn't a good decision (or play, if it was designed like that), but I have to say, I love the fact that Moto has the balls to take shots or take the ball strong to the hoop down the stretch and try and make things happen. Much better than someone who is too timid to take the burden in crunch time.

Very good point. I say better a wide open look by a guy who shoots 20 percent than a contested look by someone who shoots 30

Mesherikov wasn't timid either, but I didn't want him driving the lane or taking crucial 3 pointers.

Note: I think Moto is a vastly superior talent than Nikita.

Moto should have been told by now not to shoot any more three's. If that was a designed play, it was monumentally stupid. Either way, Bzdick's coaching rears its pointy head again.

If we just would want Green to hack away and send Plumlee to the line.... then why didn't Washington play?

Because Plumlee would have gotten a "and 1" if Washington was on him. Plum is really mobile and Washington wouldn't have kept up.

We would have defended much better against Plumlee if Daniel Green was available. DT had to watch foul trouble and that led to a lot of easy baskets for Plumlee. DG would have given us 5 fouls and put a very poor FT shooter on the line.

As someone said last night, the more Green doesn't play, the better his chance of having his jersey hung in the rafters.

Very good point. I say better a wide open look by a guy who shoots 20 percent than a contested look by someone who shoots 30

Here's the thing. The guy who was left wide open is likely left wide open because he shoots 20 percent. The guy shooting 30+ percent likely shoots that with hands in his face most of the time. You try to get the guy open who shoots 30%, because he probably shoots that with a hand in his face and he probably shoots even better if you manage to get him wide open.

Didn't we tie it up prior to Devin coming back in? I think the most inexplicable piece of that game was that Plumlee played worse with Cav in. Not to mention the plan was to put him on the line and he goes 8/10 where in his last 6 games he was 14/33.

The criticism of McKie on Curry seems unfair after his lockdown performance on Wood for NC State. Plus Duke's wide open looks came mostly after rebounds - I thought we put great pressure on their guards all night and switching CJ off of Curry had a hugely positive impact.

Not sure how Rountree can steal minutes from Cav. Without Green Cav replaces Devin. Rountree in the post would be a disaster, as would anyone else not named Cav or Devin on our team. Fischer is losing minutes to him, as most have requested. To be fair, despite a lot of nice plays by Rountree he also has trouble staying front of guards and gets caught cheating on defense. He's been a little sloppy with the ball as well. I think he should get 15 minutes a game, but he's not close to being in front of Moto yet. Moto's ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim in one dribble with either hand is pretty dangerous.

Again though, in end-game situations, these guys have to know their roles. Moto's 3 was an absolute dagger. You just can't take that shot - and considering it was his first attempt all game and his overall attempts from deep are way down recently you have to think he knows that's not his role. Freshman mistake, but that's the difference in the game. Duke gets an open 3 for Curry, we get an open 3 for... Moto. Combine that moment with Plumlee hitting 80% from the line and that's the ball game.

Have to say the adjustment to the starting 5 was a pretty solid move. Codi had trouble all night getting around any of the Duke guards when pressured, and while Madison made a few mistakes he really performed well against the best defensive pressure we've seen this year. Then again we paid the price with CJ at the 3 giving up short jumpers to Curry. He simply couldn't challenge his shot even when he was 6 inches away from him. Killed us in the first half.

Still not sold until we start putting up legitimate performances on the road. Without Kelly, Duke was probably an easier win than NC State, so it's a shame we dropped a home game to a down team with more shaky execution in the final 2 minutes. Watching us play at home you can't help but think about how we are leaps and bounds improved over the past 2 years - but then road games bring us back to reality. That has to change soon.

Plumlee has such a terrible FT stroke. I was shocked he hit such a high percentage last night.

The criticism of McKie on Curry seems unfair after his lockdown performance on Wood for NC State. Plus Duke's wide open looks came mostly after rebounds - I thought we put great pressure on their guards all night and switching CJ off of Curry had a hugely positive impact.

Wood is a 6'6" small forward. Curry is a 6'2" shooting guard.

Since Chase is unwilling to shoot. Tree should get his minutes. Tree can easily cover SGs, creates havoc on D and creates open looks for us on offense.

Our rotation should be eight guys down the stretch.

Wood is a 6'6" small forward. Curry is a 6'2" shooting guard.

Curry is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Wood is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Both lead their teams in 3 point attempts by a huge margin. It makes sense to defend them similarly.

But Wood is taller. You really nailed that one.

Curry is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Wood is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Both lead their teams in 3 point attempts by a huge margin. It makes sense to defend them similarly.

Curry is twice as quick as Wood. That's the difference.

Wood is slower too.

Yeah, Wood is taller. He's also probably a step slower and not as good of a ball handler. Wouldn't you defend a smaller faster player who is a better ball handler differently than a taller slower player who isn't as good of a ball handler?

Yeah, Wood is taller. He's also probably a step slower and not as good of a ball handler. Wouldn't you defend a smaller faster player who is a better ball handler differently than a taller slower player who isn't as good of a ball handler?

No, of course not. All that matters is 3 pt volume and efficiency.

Back