• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke post-game thread

The biggest difference is Curry has a coach and Wood has a recruiter setting up offenses. It's not rocket science to alternate Howell and Leslie setting picks for Wood then rolling open to the basket if teams double Wood. State should be getting Wood at least 2-4 more threes a game.

Add to the fact they have the best PG in the ACC and two inside threats and wood shouldn't be able to be covered very often.

Gottfried just can't coach.

Yeah, Wood is taller. He's also probably a step slower and not as good of a ball handler. Wouldn't you defend a smaller faster player who is a better ball handler differently than a taller slower player who isn't as good of a ball handler?

You mean with a guard like CJ who got torched in the first half?

Travis is a tweener. Curry is not lightning fast, although he's certainly faster than Wood. I think it's fairly obvious watching the game last night that Rountree and Travis were better covers on Curry than CJ or our smaller guards.

These seem like such odd debates to me. From the 18 minute mark in the 2nd half when we switched up on him to the end of the game he made 1 field goal.

Did you really just say that? If Cav isn't a disaster in the post I don't want to see one.

Cav's biggest problem in the post is he doesn't create the contact he should. This is a coaching weakness as Cav did not play post in HS.

As good a FT shooter as Cav is, he should be playing to the contact on every post up. He could easily average 6+ FTA/game. He simply hasn't been coached properly.

Cav's biggest problem in the post is he doesn't create the contact he should. This is a coaching weakness as Cav did not play post in HS.

As good a FT shooter as Cav is, he should be playing to the contact on every post up. He could easily average 6+ FTA/game. He simply hasn't been coached properly.

So it's a coaching deficiency that he hasn't learned to play the post in four months of college ball? Some guys don't figure it out in four years, with Big Man Camp every summer.

From the instant Daniel got hurt, it should have been drilled into Cav's every day at practice. He has a very good bball IQ. I think by now he would have doing a lot better than he is.

He wouldn't be a finished product but he'd be much farther along than he is.

The biggest difference is Curry has a coach and Wood has a recruiter setting up offenses. It's not rocket science to alternate Howell and Leslie setting picks for Wood then rolling open to the basket if teams double Wood. State should be getting Wood at least 2-4 more threes a game.

Add to the fact they have the best PG in the ACC and two inside threats and wood shouldn't be able to be covered very often.

Gottfried just can't coach.

That's exactly the offense we run, how many NCSU games have you watched? Gott can't help that every team we play sells out to stop Scott Wood first and foremost.

From the instant Daniel got hurt, it should have been drilled into Cav's every day at practice. He has a very good bball IQ. I think by now he would have doing a lot better than he is.

He wouldn't be a finished product but he'd be much farther along than he is.

He also went 1-12 against Clemson and picked up three fouls in his first five minutes of action against State. He has a hard enough time dong the things he's been doing his whole life, let alone learning how to draw fouls against ACC upperclassmen. We should hope he's a developing post player next year and that he can be truly productive as a junior and senior. There are plenty of things Bzz hasn't converted on, but failing to turn Cavanaugh into Charles Barkley in a few months isn't something I take him to task for.

Of course you do it occasionally, it should be your offense on every possession that isn't a fast break. You guys should probably have one of the Top 5 offenses in the country.

He also went 1-12 against Clemson and picked up three fouls in his first five minutes of action against State. He has a hard enough time dong the things he's been doing his whole life, let alone learning how to draw fouls against ACC upperclassmen. We should hope he's a developing post player next year and that he can be truly productive as a junior and senior. There are plenty of things Bzz hasn't converted on, but failing to turn Cavanaugh into Charles Barkley in a few months isn't something I take him to task for.

Every shooter has a bad game. It's not the big deal people on the board make it out to be.

The following isn't saying ", but failing to turn Cavanaugh into Charles Barkley in a few months"- but don't let what I actually said get in the way of your rant.

"I think by now he would have doing a lot better than he is.

He wouldn't be a finished product but he'd be much farther along than he is."

Of course you do it occasionally, it should be your offense on every possession that isn't a fast break. You guys should probably have one of the Top 5 offenses in the country.

Shooting 50.3% on the year, good for #4 in the country. Defense, now that's a whole different ballgame.

Every shooter has a bad game. It's not the big deal people on the board make it out to be.

Cav is NOT a shooter. Clemson wasn't a bad game for a good shooter, it was an awful game for a bad shooter.

On the season: 31% FG, 23% 3FG. He is better than only Moto in 3 point shooting percentage.

Last edited:
Curry looks like he is such a smug and arrogant bastard. He's really easy to hate.

Yeah, I was thinking this myself last night at the game. He also clutches and grabs so much (a Coach K staple -- "they can't/won't call 'em all") that he just needs to be bitch slapped.

I hated George Lynch for UNC, but the time he dunked on Thomas Hill (who had similar arrogance and smugness) and then kicked him in the face as he hung on the rim earned him my everlasting respect. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again, with Curry as the recipient this time.

I guess you don't remember watching Daniel Green then.

I remember his play as a freshman. Seemed to have decent BBall IQ but not enough strength.

I also saw his play over the summer league, which had me excited. Kid had bulked up and played well.

The following isn't saying ", but failing to turn Cavanaugh into Charles Barkley in a few months"- but don't let what I actually said get in the way of your rant.

"I think by now he would have doing a lot better than he is.

He wouldn't be a finished product but he'd be much farther along than he is."

What makes you think the coaches aren't working with Cav on his post moves and banging every single day? Have you considered that maybe he's a slow learner or that maybe he has a low ceiling. I don't think he's running drills with the guards every day at practice. And he has bad to mediocre shooting nights almost every time he plays. This is exactly how far along he is.

Curry is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Wood is shooting over 40% with 100+ attempts from deep on the year. Both lead their teams in 3 point attempts by a huge margin. It makes sense to defend them similarly.

But Wood is taller. You really nailed that one.

Curry is a double-double threat.

What makes you think the coaches aren't working with Cav on his post moves and banging every single day? Have you considered that maybe he's a slow learner or that maybe he has a low ceiling. I don't think he's running drills with the guards every day at practice. And he has bad to mediocre shooting nights almost every time he plays. This is exactly how far along he is.

Maybe it's changed, but in the preseason we were told that he was indeed running drills with the guards.

Very good point. I say better a wide open look by a guy who shoots 20 percent than a contested look by someone who shoots 30

Looked to me like Madison saw an opening to the lane and took it, possibly blowing up whatever play was called. Then in the lane, he slipped a little bit (again, rotten floor last night that affected both sides) and had three options: McKie, CJ and Moto. He literally threw it to the middle option because he was more open than the other two and Moto slung it. That's how I saw the play. You can argue that a coach has to get a team to play totally disciplined on special plays, but def. not what was drawn up.

We have messed up special plays quite frequently this year.

Cav will be fine. First, he broke his foot in the summer and he didn't "run" with either guards or forwards in the preseason. He didn't run at all until first practice, I believe. Second, he lacks strength to play the post right now, and he has average athleticism, so he's got to get stronger and find some gumption. He does have a very high bball IQ as RJ said, so that should come. He's learning how to draw fouls too. That pump fake on Plumlee was testament to that learning. Cav plays because he hustles (he's been the first big down court in fluid games quite frequently), has very good court awareness and is a very good passer for a big. And he moves well without the ball. I think he'll be a good shooter for us to next year.

The Green talk is kind of funny. Be nice to have him, but the guy I miss is Carson.

Last edited:
I remember his play as a freshman. Seemed to have decent BBall IQ but not enough strength.

I also saw his play over the summer league, which had me excited. Kid had bulked up and played well.

Summer League play.

Bless your heart.

Back