• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke-Wake Game Thread

examples of why he hates playing for bz?

He was this close to leaving after last season. Took a last ditch dinner with Childress to convince him to not transfer.

Also, look at his body language when [Redacted] talks to him, or at least tries to. There is a major disconnect there. Travis has a heart of gold, but he is beyond over playing for [Redacted].

That "charge" was absolutely ridiculous. Just complete bull shit. Curry wasn't set and he wasn't standing straight up. Only in the most egregious of circumstances should a charge be called outside of the paint.

Yeah saw a few tweets saying [Redacted] got a warning around the time of the CJ charge. I'd definitely say that was warranted given what happened on that. Just a ridiculous final few minutes of officiating given an other way pretty good basketball game. I won't say it's why we lost, because we had chances to knot the game up and even take the lead, and didn't, but it certainly impacted the final few minutes.

The refs deserved to be shown up right then, but i'm glad he kept his composure. We were down 3 or 4 at that point and it would have been really bad to give Duke 2 more points and the ball.

Travis played his ass off tonight. He doesn't look like a disgruntled, disinterested player to me. Teague had all that going the last month of his tenure at Wake.

He was this close to leaving after last season. Took a last ditch dinner with Childress to convince him to not transfer.

Also, look at his body language when [Redacted] talks to him, or at least tries to. There is a major disconnect there. Travis has a heart of gold, but he is beyond over playing for [Redacted].

Forgot about him almost leaving.I haven't ever noticed his body language when talking to Bz, but I don't doubt it. Just wanted to hear your reasoning

I'm not sure I agree with you. That is just Travis' demeanor. I could be wrong, but didn't BabyDeac or KVegas say that story wasn't true?

Depends how much he truly can't stand [Redacted]. It isn't a secret that he doesn't like playing for him.

I'd put it at 20-25% that he will leave. So I don't think that he will, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did.

And he could make bank in Europe playing basketball easily. He is never going to play in the NBA, I don't think.

The reason I dont see Travis leaving is that while the rest of us dont see him playing in the NBA, Travis still does. He wont leave and sit out a year, and he wont get the pre-draft advice that he should declare. Therefore, in any reasonable scenario, he will be back.

I'm just glad Travis didn't tear an ACL on that slip after the dunk. It was almost a Tony Rutland moment.

I don't think that Travis has the problem with Bz that some think. I think it is just Travis being Travis.

At a spring basketball event last year Travis' AAU coach told several people that Wake would not release him from his scholarship to transfer. Obviously there is probably a lot more to the story, but I heard it from two different people at the event.

In the end, our season is not defined by the Duke game that everyone gets excited about. It is defined by the Marylands and FSUs of the conference. Hopefully we can play at a level similar to tonight and win a couple against the mid tier teams. If not, then the pitchforks will continue to come out.

At a spring basketball event last year Travis' AAU coach told several people that Wake would not release him from his scholarship to transfer. Obviously there is probably a lot more to the story, but I heard it from two different people at the event.

In the end, our season is not defined by the Duke game that everyone gets excited about. It is defined by the Marylands and FSUs of the conference. Hopefully we can play at a level similar to tonight and win a couple against the mid tier teams. If not, then the pitchforks will continue to come out.

If that's the case I credit Travis all the more for playing his guts out for his team. He's been up and down but he's putting up solid numbers overall this season.

If that's the case I credit Travis all the more for playing his guts out for his team. He's been up and down but he's putting up solid numbers overall this season.

He is a good man. I have nothing but respect for Travis McKie.

In case you haven't noticed, the reputation is earned. Your need to credit Bz with anomalies is comical. I tend to go with the more believable answer. What's more likely? A career loser of a coach who has presided over many many awful losses to inferior teams the last 2.5 sessions has a moment of zen or some young, raw, but skilled kids put together an inspired effort against the #4 team (only to see their coach fail again when it really counted)?

The 'reputation' here? Is that important? Does that make your position more valid? Interesting.

I'm sure the uninspired performance and the kids were not prepped for GT was all Bzz, and the inspired well prep team today was all the players doing.

Just saying you can't have it both ways.

The 'reputation' here? Is that important? Does that make your position more valid? Interesting.

I'm sure the uninspired performance and the kids were not prepped for GT was all Bzz, and the inspired well prep team today was all the players doing.

Just saying you can't have it both ways.

You know you can't have it both ways either, right? You went out of your way to find every excuse you could after the GT loss...

Yeah saw a few tweets saying [Redacted] got a warning around the time of the CJ charge. I'd definitely say that was warranted given what happened on that. Just a ridiculous final few minutes of officiating given an other way pretty good basketball game. I won't say it's why we lost, because we had chances to knot the game up and even take the lead, and didn't, but it certainly impacted the final few minutes.

Numbers, this is 100% spot on! I really think that most of the ACC refs are intimidated by Ratface and near the end of every close Duke game, the big pussies won't call anything against the Blue Devils. I saw the same shit 20-30 years ago when Dean Smith was coaching UNC, but of course it was the Tarheels getting all of the breaks then.

I do agree that while the bad calls didn't completely cost us the game, they sure as hell hurt.

You know you can't have it both ways either, right? You went out of your way to find every excuse you could after the GT loss...

Huh?

Must be a different Deac83.

I think most of my posts on this and the other board has been a discussion of Wake's post Tim Duncan record on the road.

And I'm sure you can find my statement that the team needed to play well at GT to validate the good feelings from the State game.

I believe my primary comment about the game were that the coaches said the players didn't practice well and then performed the same in the game and that I'd like to see CJ and Travis take some control on the floor (as the upper classmen) when things are falling apart.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

I think it was a combination of good preparation and good effort.

There really isn't a need to pin every single loss on the coaches is there? Maybe there is and I'm just off on this one.

Actually, the way it works is every win and loss are pinned on the coaches. Bz just happens to have more losses than wins.

This is not true.

Travis hadn't even considered leaving. When Chennault, Desrosiers and Fields all transferred in a short time period, he had dinner with Childress and essentially asked him what was going on and for advice on what to do. Chill told him not to worry. End of story.

That's not the version of that fairy tale that I heard, once removed from the source.

I don't think that Travis has the problem with Bz that some think. I think it is just Travis being Travis.

Well mebane has convinced me. Such a dependable thinker, mebane is.

Last edited:
Back