• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke-Wake Game Thread

Hardly 'every' excuse in the book.

Given that there are enough people here that blame the coaches for everything that happens, someone has to look at the other factors. The players do have some responsibility in this and when we see them play well against State and dook, it points out that there is little reason to be down 39-9.

The discussion of Wake's history had little to do with the specific loss to GT. Reference to those were factual and related to the overall season.

So if you're going to be the guy that never blames the coach you can't bitch about the guy who never blames the players.

What month was this in?

I heard my version of the story soon after the mass exodus happened. Within weeks.

Perhaps Chill revised the story somewhat to save the program face? Would have been the right thing for him to do.

This was last April -- soon after the mass exodus.

Based on everything else Chill said and the level of detail he went into, I am 99.9% sure what I heard from him is the truth.

Numbers, this is 100% spot on! I really think that most of the ACC refs are intimidated by Ratface and near the end of every close Duke game, the big pussies won't call anything against the Blue Devils. I saw the same shit 20-30 years ago when Dean Smith was coaching UNC, but of course it was the Tarheels getting all of the breaks then.

I do agree that while the bad calls didn't completely cost us the game, they sure as hell hurt.

And in 94-95-96 we got a lot of calls. Chill could lower a shoulder and walk away going to the line to shoot 2. Timmy D could take the 3 to 4 step shuffle around the lane with nothing called [a la Hansbrough a few years ago]. Plus we just made better plays and were quicker than the opposition and got to spots quicker and got legit calls.

This was last April -- soon after the mass exodus.

Based on everything else Chill said and the level of detail he went into, I am 99.9% sure what I heard from him is the truth.

Then of course it must be true. Chill is a Wake Forest legend and one of my all time favorite Deacs (and a great guy to boot), but he's been enmeshed in our AD for awhile now.

Frankly, it would be pretty inappropriate if Travis did consider leaving, and Childress did anything other than adamantly deny it.

Back