• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DUNE Mafia -Game over, CIVS WIN

redwing42

Reaction score
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

sand-dune-sahara-desert.jpg

Though things seem to be progressing as normal in the Empire, great upheaval is upon us. The governorship of the planet Arrakis has just been granted to House Atreides. The Emperor Shaddam IV took the fiefdom away from House Harkonnen, the ancient enemy of the Atreides. The House in control of Arrakis also controls the production of the most valuable resource in the Imperium: Melange. However, the Emperor has his own plans on regaining control of the spice. Now, three ancient Houses will all fight for control of Arrakis. They will have to contend not only with each other, but also with the other factions within the Empire and with the planet itself. House Atreides have a valuable ally on their side however. While the other houses have ignored them, the Atreides family has reached out to the Fremen, people who live in the great desert and dream of transforming Dune into a paradise. They are masters of survival, and they will aid House Atreides against the other Houses.

Due to the limited number of named characters in the books, the mafia teams have been given safe claims, including some major characters. For those familiar with the novels, most of the information is taken from the first book. There is a bit of a stretch into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune for some of the roles, though.

Game Rules:
1)NEVER edit a post. Editing=death. Deleting=editing
2) If you miss two votes, you die, regardless of your role. DO NOT MISS A VOTE. PERIOD. If you know you are going to be gone, or if there is a chance you might be gone, you can PM/email me or SLT with your desired vote ahead of time.
3) No posting at "night." If you violate this, I reserve the right to admin assassinate you. End of discussion.
4) Vote by typing a player name in BOLD in your post, e.g.: I think DV7 is mafia. If you later want to change your vote, DO NOT EDIT (see rule 1). Make a new post that says "switching from DV7 to FREDTERP." Short names are fine (such as DV7 instead of Deacvision7), but posting names in some other cryptic fashion (say, backwards?) isn't cool, and won't count.
5) Votes count through the end of the deadline minute. Timestamps of 10:00 count, timestamps of 10:01 do not.
6) NO POSTING OR DISCUSSION OF PMs and/or emails, ever. You can't say "look, here is proof I am the angel, this is the PM/email from redwing," etc. You will immediately be admin assassinated.
SERIOUSLY DO NOT EVEN SAY "PM" IN YOUR POST EVER
7) If the lynch vote is tied at the deadline there will be a 10 minute overtime. If the tie is not broken during OT BOTH IN THE TIE WILL DIE.
8) You cannot vote for yourself.
9) No tagging :)missyou
10) Majority lynches go into effect when I see them with a fifteen minute grace period. That is, if I see a majority I will post that a majority has been noted and if there is still a majority fifteen minutes after my post I will call night. NO MAJORITY LYNCHES WILL BE CALLED WITH FIVE OR LESS PLAYERS REMAINING
11) Specials with night moves have until 20 minutes after the night is called to send me their moves.
12) Everyone has received a PM
13) NO Up-voting or Down-voting allowed
14) There are no posting restrictions other than limiting some information that may be revealed.
15) I WILL inevitably screw something up. I will apologize. You will deal with it. We will move on and try to enjoy this ****ing game

Order of night actions:
Healing
Protection
Hits: All hits are concurrent, however, if one player is the target of multiple hits, the mafia hit takes precedence, then a RNG will be used if necessary for other hits. Hits not used will be returned.
Investigation
Silencing

House Harkonnen has the hit night 1, with House Corrino on Night 2. If one house is eliminated, the other will have hits every night.

Last edited:
Player List (in signup order)

1. Eaglez: Emperor Shaddam IV, Mafia 2
“The spice must flow.” You are Emperor Shaddam IV of the Corrino Dynasty. You are a ruthless powermonger, having plotted the killings of both your father and older brother in order to claim the throne. However, you are also unwilling to get your hands dirty, having allowed Count Fenring to carry out those assassinations. As such, you are the Godfather of Mafia 2 and come back NOT MAFIA if investigated but you are unable to carry out hits for your team unless you are the final member of Mafia 2 left alive.

2. BentleysSVP: Chani, civ
You are Chani, daughter of Liet-Kynes and concubine of Paul Muad-Dib. As the soulmate of Paul, you have knowledge of who he is. However, you may not communicate with him or reveal this knowledge at any time.

3. Toogs: fremen, civ
You are one of the fremen, the people of the desert. You have learned to survive in the desert and work to turn Dune into a verdant paradise through the vision of Pardot Kynes and his son Liet. You are a vanilla civilian in this game.

4. QT: Stilgar, civ
You are Stilgar, former head of Sietch Tabr before the arrival of Paul Muad-Dib. You always put the needs of the tribe, the world, and even the universe above yourself. As such, you are a bodyguard. Each night, you may choose one player to protect from night hits. You may not protect yourself, but otherwise have no restrictions.

5. DiegoTiger, Otheym, civ
You are Otheym, a high ranking member of the Fedaykin corps. You have been a devout warrior who aided Paul Muad-Dib in his ascension to power. You are a Bodyguard, and may protect a player each night. You may not protect the same person two nights in a row.

6. 7erps: Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, Mafia 1
You are Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, brother to Beast Rabban and nephew of Baron Harkonnen. You have been given the title of na-Baron, and will assume the leadership of House Harkonnen if the Baron is killed. Also, you have the ability to search for the members of House Corrino. Submit one player’s name each night and you will receive a response of either HOUSE CORRINO or NOT HOUSE CORRINO. Also, if you investigate Paul, you will challenge him to a duel. You will lose this duel and be removed from the game.

7. Island: Duke Leto Atreides, civ
You are Duke Leto Atreides, head of House Atreides. Responsible for re-locating House Atreides to Arrakis, Leto Atreides inherits the most powerful, and treacherous fiefdom in the empire. Therefore, Leto serves as ruler of the planet and has the power to save any player from lynching. You will have five minutes from the time a lynch is announced to prevent the lynch. However, if Baron Harkonnen survives past night 4 his plot to overthrow Leto comes to fruition and Leto dies.

8. slothrop: Sandworm, converted civ
You are a sandworm. You are the scourge of the desert, devouring any who carelessly enter. Each third night, starting on Night 1 (1, 4, 7...), you have a vig hit you must use. If you target Paul Muad-Dib, you will be converted to House Atreides, but will lose your powers. You win if you are the sole survivor, or if you have been converted and the civilians win.

9. sd3: Princess Irulian, Mafia 2
You are Princess Irulian, daughter of Emperor Shaddam. You are the official historian of the reign of Paul Muad-Dib, and as such have some control over the written word. On day one, your vote will count twice. Starting on Night 1, you may choose to either have your own vote count twice the following day, or make another player’s vote not count.

10. RHTB&G: R.M. Mohiam, Mafia 2
You are Reverend Mother Helen Gaius Mohiam, Imperial Truthsayer and high ranking member of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. Adept at all ways of the Bene Gesserit you can choose to wield the gom jabbar (the high handed enemy) and it’s poison needle to silence one player for the following round. This is a full suppression and the player chosen will be unable to use any powers or post any more than a single word vote until the day after they are silenced. However, you may not silence the same player twice.

note: you are not a truthsayer in this game, it is just Mohiam’s official title.

11. historicus: Pietr de Vries, Mafia 1
You are Piter de Vries, twisted Mentat and advisor to Baron Harkonnen. You are brilliant, devious, and an invaluable asset to House Harkonnen. You are searching for Wanna Marcus, wife to the House Atreides doctor, Wellington Yueh. If you are able to find her, she is killed and Dr. Yueh is converted to your mafia team. This will be announced in the game thread.

12. DaDeacs: Harah, civ
You are Harah, a fremen woman who was the wife of Jamis. When Jamis challenged Paul Muad-Dib to a duel and lost, you became the property of Paul. You are a vanilla civilian.

13. Bernie: Liet Kynes, civ
You are Liet Kynes. You are the Imperial Planetologist, but your only true allegiance lies with the fremen and the dream of turning Dune into a paradise. You know more about the planet than any person alive, and therefore you are able to use this knowledge to make two role investigations during the game. However, because you are employed by the Empire, you will come back as Mafia 2 when investigated.

14. Knight: Fedaykin trooper, civ
You are a member of the Fedaykin, the hand picked commandos of Paul Muad-Dib. You are the best of the best, an equal match for the Emperor’s Sardaukar troops. In this game, you have a single vig hit that you may use any night.

15. Damo: Bene Tlelaxu, civ
You are a representative from the Bene Tlelaxu. Your race is generally despised throughout the galaxy, but your people have provided help to the empire before, in the form of biological replacement parts and gholas (clones). You are a back up healer, and will take over the role if the primary healer is killed. You will be informed when this happens. You will have 5 minutes once the lynch is announced to prevent it.

16. Gsterp: Alia Atreides, converted Mafia 1
Also known as St. Alia of the Knife, you are the younger sister of Paul Muad-Dib. It was your blade that killed Emperor Shaddam IV. Therefore, you have the ability to search for him each night. Submit one player’s name to be investigated and you will receive either SHADDAM or NOT SHADDAM in response. There may be an event which occurs during the game which will force you to convert to a mafia team. If this happens, you will be notified through PM, but there will also be an announcement made. Therefore, take care in revealing yourself.

17. Burp: Spacing Guild, Indy
You are a representative of the Spacing Guild. All interplanetary travel is done through your ships and by leave of the Guild only. You are not interested in conquest, only in economic stability and the continued flow of the spice. You have knowledge of Duke Leto Atreides, Baron Harkonnen, and Emperor Shaddam, though you may not communicate with them. You also have the ability twice during the game to prevent all night actions from ocurring. In order to win the game, you must ensure that Paul Muad-Dib is dead, as he threatens to control all spice flow. Also, you must survive through at least night 7, though you will remain in the game longer if Paul is still alive. Finally, there must be at least one member of each major house must still alive at the point when you exit the game.

Win conditions: Paul must be killed.
You must survive through night 7.
Mafia 1 and 2 must still be active in the game.

18. Evo: Bene Gesserit, civ
You are a representative from the Bene Gesseret, a Sisterhood shrouded in mystery. Your ultimate allegiance is only to the Sisterhood, but in this case, it is in your best interest for the Atreides family to control the spice. You are a vanilla civilian in this game.

19. toppings: Dr. Wellington Yueh, civ
You are Dr. Wellington Yueh, Suk doctor for the Atreides family, and husband of Wanna Marcus. You have knowledge of Wanna and may communicate with her. You may not reveal this information in game at any time. As a Suk, you are supposed to be completely loyal to your employer. However, all people have a weak point, and the Harkonnens may find yours. One of the Harkonnen mafia is searching for Wanna. if she is found, she will be captured and you will be converted to House Harkonnen. This will be announced in the game, so take care in revealing yourself.

20. Smiley, Baron Harkonnen, Mafia 1
You are the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, head of House Harkonnen and mortal enemy of the Atreides. Your treachery and deceitfulness are matched only by your corpulence. You are unable to be killed by a standard night hit, though an unblockable hit will still succeed. If you are killed while Alia is still in the game, your death will trigger her conversion to House Harkonnen. This will be announced in the game thread.

21. Ryala, Fremen, civ
You are one of the fremen, the people of the desert. You have learned to survive in the desert and work to turn Dune into a verdant paradise through the vision of Pardot Kynes and his son Liet. You are a vanilla civilian in this game.

22. ellis: Paul Muad-Dib Atreides, civ
You are Paul Muad-Dib Atreides, son of Duke Leto and the Lady Jessica. You are the Kwisatz Haderach, a male with powers above and beyond those of even the Bene Gesserit sisters. As such you are the COP and may submit any one player’s name for investigation each night. You will receive either MAFIA or NOT MAFIA, though you will not learn which House the player is associated with. Also, because it takes time for Paul to acheive his potential, you may not begin your investigations until night 3.

23. dXL: Wanna Marcus, civ
You are Wanna Marcus, wife of Dr. Wellington Yueh. Yueh is the family doctor for House Atreides. You have knowledge of who he is and may communicate with him. However, you may not reveal this information in the game thread. You are being searched for by a member of House Harkonnen, and if you are found, you will be captured and killed. This will also cause Yueh to be converted to House Harkonnen.

24. WFU03: Glossu "Beast" Rabban, Mafia 1
You are Count Glossu “Beast” Rabban, nephew of Baron Harkonnen. You thrive on the thrill of the hunt, and no prey is more exhilarating than humans. Every third night, starting on night 2 (2, 5, 8...) you may conduct a hunt. Submit the name of any player. If that player is a non-elite civilian, that player will be killed, though standard protections may apply. However, if the name submitted is a bodyguard, truthsayer or cop, or a member of House Corrino, Rabban will be overpowered and killed himself. If Duncan Idaho is the target, neither of you will be killed, but you will be revealed to the other players.

25. Kanhoji: Lady Jessica, civ
You are Lady Jessica Atreides, concubine to Duke Leto and mother of Paul Muad-Dib. A fully trained Bene Gesserit Sister, you also became the Reverend Mother for the Fremen on Arrakis. In this game, you will use your training as a Truthsayer. Each night, you may submit a single sentence from a post and ask if it is truth. If it can be verified, you will learn if the post is TRUE or NOT TRUE.

26. Tejas: Duncan Idaho, civ
You are Duncan Idaho, loyal follower of House Atreides and trained Ginaz Swordsman. In the novel, you died protecting Lady Jessica and Paul after Harkonnen treachery. However, you were returned to Paul in the form of a ghola (clone) by the Bene Tlelaxu. In this game, you have protection from any one death, be it lynch or night hit. Your role will not be revealed when this happens.

27. doofus: Count Fenring, Mafia 2
You are Count Hasmir Fenring. You are a lifelong friend of Emperor Shaddam, acting as both advisor and personal assassin. During the game you may make one completely unblockable hit. If your target is protected by a bodyguard, you are able to avoid this protection and will not be killed.

28. Nonny: Sardaukar troops, Mafia 2
You represent the handpicked shock troops of the Imperial Dynasty, the Sardaukar. Coming from the hellish world of Salusa Secundus, you have learned to survive under any conditions and are feared throughout the Empire. In this game, you are a standard member of Mafia 2 with no additional powers.

Last edited:
Roles are out, if you have questions, PM me. The game begins now.

If Evo and toogs are teamed together then they are stupid or not paying attention.

Probably not teamed together.

And that also leads me to my second conclusion that Evo and QT are probably not teamed together.

This game is easy.

If Evo and toogs are teamed together then they are stupid or not paying attention.

Probably not teamed together.

And that also leads me to my second conclusion that Evo and QT are probably not teamed together.

This game is easy.

What a stunningly bad conclusion. You're rusty. I'd be likely as not to say "evo lets vote for the same person 30 seconds apart" if we were mafia.

However, your conclusion is correct, we are not teamed together.

How can my conclusion be both stunningly bad yet correct at the same time? Does not compute.

How can my conclusion be both stunningly bad yet correct at the same time? Does not compute.

You're right. I meant that your methodology was stunningly bad, but you turned out to have great results.

Back