• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

E-Bikes

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I recently went on a bike ride up in Asheville using one of these and they are pretty cool. You still have to pedal but it makes the steepest of hills bearable and makes biking in general more fun as you feel you can go anywhere.

I see where you can buy a new one all the way up to $2500 but I also see where you can convert your current bike for half that or less. Has anyone converted your regular bike and how did process work out?

Not sure about the conversion but for an entry level option I just got a Lectric bike that I’ve been cruising around Durham on and I love it. Less range and features than the more expensive models but perfect for my use case. It also folds up which is useful for traveling, we put 2 in the back of our CRV so no need for a bike rack. Can’t speak to long term durability but happy with it so far.

I know several older or non-athletic people who have ebikes and love them!

For reals, I’ve not looked into conversion, but like WRS said, the range has to be a fraction. Ebikes have huge down tubes to accommodate the battery.

No opinion on e-bikes (I'm a human bike guy) but when you get started, please, please, please don't be a douche rider. There are a ton of them out here in Seattle and I can't count the number of times I've seen people doing 20+ mph on multi-use greenways or sidewalks or passing me on my bike, silently, with no bell or voice warning, nearly causing a wreck. I think it's just that two wheel transportation was just made available for a ton of people who were never cyclists and never learned to be considerate. All the more dangerous when they're essentially heavy, fast motorcycles relative to the surroundings. I trust you'll be fine

I know several older or non-athletic people who have ebikes and love them!

giphy.gif

i'd probably just get a ready-built ebike over converting a regular bike.. regular bike frames just aren't really built w/ that in mind.. and if you don't have disc brakes already it shouldn't even be a consideration

Rad power bikes are probably best bang for your buck

I would not retro fit a bike. I jut dotn think that would give you anywhere near the same experience.

With bikes, you get what you pay for. I think there are some solid options under $1000 for pedal assist bikes.

i'd probably just get a ready-built ebike over converting a regular bike.. regular bike frames just aren't really built w/ that in mind.. and if you don't have disc brakes already it shouldn't even be a consideration

I spoke with a guy at my local Trex shop yesterday and he said much the same thing.

What are some decent options without breaking the bank?

I spoke with a guy at my local Trex shop yesterday and he said much the same thing.

What are some decent options without breaking the bank?

like YB said, I think RAD power bikes are some of the best bang for the buck and are really solid, I see a ton of those around here

wish there were some e-bike credits in the new bill alongside the electric car credits

Rad power bikes are probably best bang for your buck

+1.

I got the RadWagon last year to haul the kids around and we have an absolute blast on it. I've got 500 miles without any issues. My only complain is that the brakes could be better (though they are more than serviceable as-is).

If you’ve got a bigger budget, aventon also makes very good ebikes

If you’ve got a bigger budget, aventon also makes very good ebikes

They're pretty similar price-wise to the RAD's tbh.

For next level up I think you're looking more at brands like Tern or Yuba (bikes closer to 5k range, but intended to really replace a car and offer a lot more cargo capacity)

We have a Tern, yes they cost Texa$, but the Bosch battery can be be serviced/replaced fairly easily by most mechanics. We use REI. We have a few friends who have a Radwagon, and while they are good bang for your buck, much of their parts and battery are proprietary. So you're at their mercy on repair/replacement costs and timeline.

I have a eMTB from Kona and love it. Even though I train primarily on my normal bikes still, this bike is incredibly fun to go out and rip a few trails in an hour that would take me 2+ hours, especially on an easy day.

I also love how I can pop over to the office on it and arrive with zero sweaty back.

I would NOT convert a normal bike to an ebike unless performance was not a concern.

FYI my Kona Remote can ride me about 3 hours taking it easy, or 1.25 hours full gas. Other eMTBs are nicer, but way more expensive.

i get the sweaty back thing but man ebikes just hold no appeal with me

i think it's the pedal assist

I've tried some wheelchairs with power assist systems and they are helpful but man they make the chair heavy. You have to use the power assist all the time to make the extra weight worth it.

yeah my trek is so light i can't imagine putting a battery on the damn thing

Back