• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

E-Bikes

i get the sweaty back thing but man ebikes just hold no appeal with me

i think it's the pedal assist

have you ever ridden one? they're just really fun to ride, can just cover a lot more ground in a lot less time for commuting too

or if you live in a very hilly place + want to haul groceries/cargo/kiddos, almost a requirement for a car replacement on lots of trips

i think so because i have a sneaking suspicion the new PGH city bikes are pedal assist

i think so because i have a sneaking suspicion the new PGH city bikes are pedal assist

seems like about half the fleet is, you'd know pretty obviously if they were (aside from different pricing):

POGOH rental prices will see increases compared to Healthy Ride. Pedal bikes for POGOH will cost $3.50 per 30-minute trip, compared to $2 per 30-minute trip on Healthy Ride. POGOH e-bikes are $5 per 30-minute trip. Potts said the price increases are due to the high cost of implementing and purchasing e-bikes. He noted that POGOH prices will still be among the cheapest in the country.

We have a Tern, yes they cost Texa$, but the Bosch battery can be be serviced/replaced fairly easily by most mechanics. We use REI. We have a few friends who have a Radwagon, and while they are good bang for your buck, much of their parts and battery are proprietary. So you're at their mercy on repair/replacement costs and timeline.

Which Tern do you have, if you don't mind me asking.. I've got a couple of their models at the top of my list of choices right now.

I felt the same way as TKory until I got one. I was totally happy with the other bikes (4). It took about 2 rides for everything to change. About that time I realized that I could smash trails and get a fantastic workout (or the exact opposite and just have fun) on the ebike I was hooked. I still only ride it about 1/10th of the time, but now that 1/10th is a pleasure and not a chore.

On an off day, I can drop lower Black 2-3x instead of just once. I mean, that's enough right there.

Which Tern do you have, if you don't mind me asking.. I've got a couple of their models at the top of my list of choices right now.

GSD S10 (whatever the base model GSD is), purchased this year. It's my commuter/hauling kiddo bike. I think they just came out with a 1-kid in tow model, HSD?

I felt the same way as TKory until I got one. I was totally happy with the other bikes (4). It took about 2 rides for everything to change. About that time I realized that I could smash trails and get a fantastic workout (or the exact opposite and just have fun) on the ebike I was hooked. I still only ride it about 1/10th of the time, but now that 1/10th is a pleasure and not a chore.

On an off day, I can drop lower Black 2-3x instead of just once. I mean, that's enough right there.

Man, in an ideal world I'd have both an e-mtb AND a e-bike for commute/cargo purposes.. but I can't fully replace my regular MTB because there are still so many places the e-bikes are technically against the rules, so that'd leave me with far too many bikes (gravel + mtb + e-mtb + cargo e-bike).

GSD S10 (whatever the base model HSD is), purchased this year. It's my commuter/hauling kiddo bike. I think they just came out with a 1-kid in tow model, HSD?

Nice, yeah, I was looking at the GSD just in case we have a second kiddo since it allows for that (also nice that you can technically put another adult on it).

Was also considering the quick haul p9 (I think a pretty new one) that has fewer frills but then I'd actually see how much I used it before upgrading and it can still handle one kid (my primary use-case) pretty easily.

Man, in an ideal world I'd have both an e-mtb AND a e-bike for commute/cargo purposes.. but I can't fully replace my regular MTB because there are still so many places the e-bikes are technically against the rules, so that'd leave me with far too many bikes (gravel + mtb + e-mtb + cargo e-bike).

What is this "too many bikes" concept? DOES NOT COMPUTE! N+1!

One last question:

Are you better off buying from a local dealer or online?

I would think dealer in case there is a problem and if they are offering almost the same price.

Listen to this idea: solar powered e-bikes.

One last question:

I would think dealer in case there is a problem and if they are offering almost the same price.

Most bike shops will fix any bike. But, you definitely get preferential treatment if you buy from them. I know Mock Orange in Winston (highly recommended) gives lifetime tuneups for bikes you buy from them.

I'll pay a little more to buy locally so I'm supporting a local business.

One last question:

I want local bike shops to exist, so I buy from local bike shops. Not every single thing of course, but the vast majority. Plus, my LBS has a bar, so bonus.

thinking pretty serious about getting one, looking to replace car trips in the 5-15 mile range or situations where i'm worried about being sweaty on a regular bike

anybody go regular and wish they went cargo or vice versa?

any considerations for winter e-biking?

what is the tern bringing to the table at $3k more that the aventon doesn't have?

thinking pretty serious about getting one, looking to replace car trips in the 5-15 mile range or situations where i'm worried about being sweaty on a regular bike

anybody go regular and wish they went cargo or vice versa?

any considerations for winter e-biking?

what is the tern bringing to the table at $3k more that the aventon doesn't have?
I think I'd need to know specific models to answer this for sure, but iirc most (all?) Terns are mid-drive motors (vs hub motors that don't feel as nice/consistent and aren't as good w/ hilly terrain, maybe won't matter for you) and they use industry leading bosch motors (which are a little easier to find shops to work on vs proprietary motor systems that companies like RADpower and potentially Aventon use), so that's one big advantage IMO, Tern is defs on the pricier side though but they also have a ton of great attachments/accessory systems for their cargo bikes too and lead the pack in that regard imo

If I were using it a lot year round in Chicago I would probably look into getting a bike with a belt drive vs a chain drive too, unless you just love doing maintenance on the chain + don't mind replacing it every year

I went full on cargo with the Tern GSD and absolutely love it but it is also a beast of a bike, if I didn't have to haul two kids around I probably would have gone w/ one of their smaller models or even just a Tern Quick Haul P9 or something.

It is so much fun though, we'll probably be looking into picking up another ebike for either me or my spouse to ride on when the other is hauling the kiddos on the big bike.

thanks -- really good stuff

hills not a factor for me, but bad road conditions are -- I'll look into the belt/chain thing

after further review, I'm pretty sure I don't want to go full cargo, but some carrying capability would be nice

any idea if there's a best time to buy if you're willing to be patient? black friday?

I’ve got a couple buddies at the office with Ride 1 Up bikes that really like them. If riding in the winter & snow, get a bike with front suspension & some fatter tires.

irt: cargo - it’s pretty easy to throw on a front rack, rear rack & some panniers to carry groceries. Put some sort of crate or basket on the racks and should be good to get some cargo on it.

Back