• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

E is for Ebola (Dallas TX)

The Two Girls One Cup stock must be getting murdered.

good one, socrates. you're quarantined when you have known exposure to people with ebola for 21 days, the incubation period. if a strain of influenza pops up that is extremely virulent, we'll isolation and quarantine measures put in place.

Thousands of people will die from the flu this year in the US. Sounds extremely virulent to me.

Thousands of people will die from the flu this year in the US. Sounds extremely virulent to me.

Are we quarantining everyone with the flu for a month or not because I need to stock up on booze.

You'd self-quarantine if you have any respect for human life.

Do you have a hard time understanding these guys? They're experts. They've worked with Ebola and are worried about the potential outcomes because of all the unknowns. That's my concern as well. It's all hunky dory to get dogmatic about the risk as long as the virus stays like it did..and paint worries as right wing conspiracies and turning it into a "hate the immigrants" issue...but we really don't know what will happen. What I don't understand is why we can't take it a little more seriously given all the unknowns. That's just common sense.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-questions-20141007-story.html#page=1

Dr. C.J. Peters, who battled a 1989 outbreak of the virus among research monkeys housed in Virginia and who later led the CDC's most far-reaching study of Ebola's transmissibility in humans, said he would not rule out the possibility that it spreads through the air in tight quarters.

"We just don't have the data to exclude it," said Peters, who continues to research viral diseases at the University of Texas in Galveston.

Dr. Philip K. Russell, a virologist who oversaw Ebola research while heading the U.S. Army's Medical Research and Development Command, and who later led the government's massive stockpiling of smallpox vaccine after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, also said much was still to be learned. "Being dogmatic is, I think, ill-advised, because there are too many unknowns here."

If Ebola were to mutate on its path from human to human, said Russell and other scientists, its virulence might wane — or it might spread in ways not observed during past outbreaks, which were stopped after transmission among just two to three people, before the virus had a greater chance to evolve. The present outbreak in West Africa has killed approximately 3,400 people, and there is no medical cure for Ebola.

"I see the reasons to dampen down public fears," Russell said. "But scientifically, we're in the middle of the first experiment of multiple, serial passages of Ebola virus in man.... God knows what this virus is going to look like. I don't."

Sry your fearmongering didn't work out.

So this thread is 6 or 7 weeks old and there are no longer any Ebola patients in a nation of 315 Million. The 24/7 click machine is alive and well and everybody forgets who was wrong and moves on to the next big hysteria.

So this thread is 6 or 7 weeks old and there are no longer any Ebola patients in a nation of 315 Million. The 24/7 click machine is alive and well and everybody forgets who was wrong and moves on to the next big hysteria.

Yep. Ebola panic served its purpose.

Yep. Ebola panic served its purpose.

More Americans have died from Ebola than from being suffocated by cops in the last six months. Let's not pretend that the hysteria machine only cranks in one direction.

More Americans have died from Ebola than from being suffocated by cops in the last six months. Let's not pretend that the hysteria machine only cranks in one direction.

We only have accurate stats on one of those two things.

We only have accurate stats on one of those two things.

If you quintupled the number of people who have been suffocated by LEOs for selling untaxed cigarettes, it wouldn't alter my point, which is that neither side has a lot of moral high ground to accuse the other of fanning flames of hysteria for political gain.

Back