• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

E is for Ebola (Dallas TX)

Just a question, is she the first health care worker to return from Africa?

Dozens Of Volunteers Have Come Back Safe From Ebola Hot Zone

Rick Perry showing up Chris Christie:

Other states are taking a milder approach. Texas sent its chief health officer, Dr. David Lakey, to greet a returning nurse on Wednesday. And Governor Rick Perry called the nurse, who wasn’t named.

“In Texas, we have a great tradition of welcoming our heroes back home and this heroic individual deserves our appreciation, our compassion, and our utmost respect,” Perry said in a statement. “The tremendous work that she and so many other health care workers are doing in West Africa is making life better for those in afflicted countries and helps protect the rest of the world from the spread of this terrible disease; they are doing vitally important work that makes us all proud.”

The nurse has agreed to self-quarantine and is being lavished with praise in return.

“This health care hero has made a great sacrifice in traveling abroad to minister to those who are suffering,” Perry said. “Even now home in Texas, she continues to demonstrate her selflessness by agreeing to quarantine herself and further protect her fellow Texans.”

It's ridiculous to hold somebody against their will for 21 days for reasons that won't benefit anybody and have no scientific merit.
Wow...while I agree that a quarantine is not needed at this time (just closer monitoring)...there is absolutely scientific merit to the 21 days and there are lots of unknowns with this virus, more so then most viruses. Acting like it's not scientific to want one is WAY over the top. I don't understand the need for it.

Wow...while I agree that a quarantine is not needed at this time (just closer monitoring)...there is absolutely scientific merit to the 21 days and there are lots of unknowns with this virus, more so then most viruses. Acting like it's not scientific to want one is WAY over the top. I don't understand the need for it.

agreed. the problem is that this was not the right person to quarantine and get in a fight over and now there's a stupid social precedent to contend quarantine/isolation policies.

For the record I would take a 21-day home quarantine in a heartbeat if I got paid for it.

Correct avalon, with the caveat I have not (nor do I intend) to read that research article. Not exhibiting a fever is is not the same as transmitting without any symptoms.

Also, I don't disagree (for a scientist this is different than agreeing) with many of the points Bruce makes in that article but he is an odd guy to interview on this. He is not an ID doctor or an Epidemiologist or really an Immunologist for that matyer...he is a Geneticist that uses disease models to screen randomly mutagenized mice to identify novel functions of genes/proteins. I know him well and respect him a tremendous amount for the record. Just not sure he would be the guy I would seek out for advice on Ebola.
These issues are multidisciplinary so I don't know how you can point to any one single player in it as THE expert. An ID doctor goes by symptoms and treatments of individuals. Epidemiologists focus on how the bug moves. Neither of those players will really understand the underlying science of viruses/host defenses or the real potential for change. The Immunologist might but that depends on the individual. Beutler knows more about the basic science than any of them...and that's probably why he's more worried than the others. He knows that in many cases a single key mutation of a protein can dramatically alter it's function/stability. I doubt the other three really appreciate that possibility, they just know it can happen at some level.

We are in large part making risk assumptions about how change might happen based on previous outbreaks and other similar viruses. Epidemiologists have said this outbreak is different so...is it smart to act like everything is the same? I'm not sure. As you appreciate there are lots and lots of unknowns, stuff we know about with other bugs. We really need to be careful with this bug. The fact so many people on here treat it as a political issue is really astonishing.

So you agree with me but you're going to be up at arms about it anyway.

Yes the 21 days is legit...and for the record, if ordered, I would just stay in my house mainly to not attact MORE attention to myself. However, there are facts out there. It's not airborne. If the nurse is indeed infected (despite negative test), she would need to show positive signs. If you are showing these signs, you are not going on bike ride (diarehea, vommitting, randomly/unexplained bleeding, etc.).

If she was showing these symtoms, she would have to be pissing, vomiting, bleeding on you in order to pass it along.

All the things that I would not do with a person if I knew them to be perfectly healthy. All 3 (count'm) people with the virus, came into contact with tons and tons of people, with no one spreading it. Although is the popular attitude of crazies to say the CDC is lying to us, the fact is they are not.

Again, if I was this nurse, I would just stay in my room...but she is not endangering anyone by going on a bike ride, even if showing EVERY symptom

For the record I would take a 21-day home quarantine in a heartbeat if I got paid for it.

I think the compensation is supposed to offset forgone compensation and societal value replacement. In your case, I would just enjoy the break if I were you.

I am all in for making a stink about being quarantined in a tent but she is making an ass out of her self by not just hanging out at her house.

I am all in for making a stink about being quarantined in a tent but she is making an ass out of her self by not just hanging out at her house.

No she's not. You, THE DEUCE, have the ability to transmit a deadly flu virus to everyone you come into contact with. Should you be quarantined all winter?

No she's not. You, THE DEUCE, have the ability to transmit a deadly flu virus to everyone you come into contact with. Should you be quarantined all winter?

the flu viruses aren't contagious for 4 months nor do they take 4 months to show symptoms

Ah - so you should only be quarantined when you show symptoms and are contagious?

good one, socrates. you're quarantined when you have known exposure to people with ebola for 21 days, the incubation period. if a strain of influenza pops up that is extremely virulent, we'll isolation and quarantine measures put in place.

Back