• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EFTON ELIGIBLE!!

Efton is way more physical than I was expecting. For some reason I was thinking he was more of a finesse big. But he was like a brick wall sometimes on defense when Omoruyi was trying to dribble into him.

Efton is way more physical than I was expecting. For some reason I was thinking he was more of a finesse big. But he was like a brick wall sometimes on defense when Omoruyi was trying to dribble into him.
He uses his size well. Plays big

Dude is a player! Love how vocal he is on the court. Love how he gets his hands up right after the basket goes in on offense, he is ready to play defense. Definitely the missing piece to this team!

On the topic of Efton, The Boots on The Ground Pod is back after our brief hiatus with an hour-long basketball special. We discuss the past two critical victories for Wake Forest, the Efton Reid effect on this team, what happens in the minutes game with Zach Keller and Matthew Marsh and where things stand with Damari Monsanto.

Plus, we look back on a statement I made months ago, that with Efton, Wake Forest was a serious threat to make the NCAA Tournament and a dark horse to make noise once there.

All that and more on The Boots on the Ground Pod. Thanks to everyone for listening!

It took the first two rebounds to realize Efton would change rebounding from a negative to a positive. He pulled them down with two hands and with authority. The elbows were up but he didn't swing them. He just let them be seen. Way back in the day, the appropriate description of someone like that would be "menacing rebounder. Enter the low post at your own risk." I was elated.

Looking forward to Efton schooling Bacot, Tarholes and Burns Jr. @ NCS. Burns had his way with Wake last year. Don't believe that will be on the agenda in the new year.

Looking forward to Efton schooling Bacot, Tarholes and Burns Jr. @ NCS. Burns had his way with Wake last year. Don't believe that will be on the agenda in the new year.
Hope he plays better against those guys than he did against NJIT.

Some of my thoughts after the game and looking at the #s:

Obviously Reid was pretty much everything we hoped for. Despite some awful three point misses, I'm still optimistic he will be a real threat from outside based on his confidence and the postgame comments from Sallis and Forbes. According to the bart box score he played 27 minutes, probably goes up to 30 if he doesn't start the game on the bench. Carr played 31, which is his season low for games not dictated by foul trouble, which I think is by design and will continue.

One thing I realize I forgot in my assessment of Carr is that he isn't a good rebounder, which is a pretty big issue if he's your 5. On the other hand, Reid had a ridiculous DR% of 43.

The nitpicks are mostly on offense -- Carr had the lowest usage rate of any game this season and I wanna say most of his shots came off offensive rebounds or out-of-bounds plays -- it felt to me like we ran the majority of PnR with Reid with Carr mostly on the perimeter. I was surprised the staff didn't stagger Carr and Reid more -- I don't have access to any of the off/on or lineup data, but I think we had a lot of Keller + Marion with both Carr and Reid on the bench.

Forbes did seem super high on Reid's offense though, so maybe it's an intentional / smart choice to feature him.

Carr’s usage against NJIT was even lower than Rutgers, only 13.4. Reid didn’t play that much so perhaps unrelated, esp since he is a bit banged up. But outside of one deep post entry it does feel like he is being used less offensively (mostly talking about on ball screen offense).

Carr’s usage against NJIT was even lower than Rutgers, only 13.4. Reid didn’t play that much so perhaps unrelated, esp since he is a bit banged up. But outside of one deep post entry it does feel like he is being used less offensively (mostly talking about on ball screen offense).
I didn’t watch closely, but could also be a result of the offensive scheme against the zone

really solid and relevant video just dropped around the death of the power forward and modern basketball in general. talking about the nba but largely applicable to all high-level basketball imo.

When Reid is back healthy in 9 days, that's a good game for him to post up repeatedly, get the ball, and score.

Stop the perimeter jacks and step back 12 footers and instead get inside and do damage.

Use your size and good hands.

Every game.

Back