• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Emotional Conflict: Postseason Dreams vs. Wanting Bzz fired

Brangus

Reaction score
Anyone else struggling with this??? When I watch a Wake game, I cannot root against Wake. My primitive Gold and Black brain wants us to win, wants us to slip into the back door of the Dance, somehow, whatever it takes. But then I grasp the realization that if by some freak occurrence, we make the Dance (or even the NIT?), Bzz is saved. And I hate Bzz as a person and as a coach. He's just not good at existing.

Of course, chances are the ACC schedule will carve us up so badly that this will be a non issue, but what a shitty situation...to fear the success you want because success will result in the ultimate negative consequence....the retention of an asshat.

Is anyone else struggling with this as you stare glassy eyed at the television?

I'm hoping that Buzz gets real animated and does something lacking in #culture, gets suspended for a few games and Battle pulls off a few wins in a row before Buzz is put on leave for the rest of the season.

I'm not struggling. I still want the Deacs to win (I always will), but I recognize that often they wont, and all in all I just find losing easier to take because each loss brings us closer to the end of the Buzz nightmare (I hope). Winning has become redefined as getting rid of Buzz. To me that's rock bottom.

Yea I wanna win the NCAA tournament and also have Bzz fired is that too much to ask?

I've stopped caring. As I told the Deacon Club representative that called me about donating and buying tickets, "As long as the Athletic Department is acting like it doesn't give a shit, don't expect me to."

lol at postseason dreams

let's start with a road game or two and go from there

This whole BzzOut thing started because we were losing games. Games we had no business losing. Add in his utter social ineptitude and lack of charisma and it swirled out into a tornado. But don't lose sight- this is about winning or losing.

The damage is done as far as [Redacted] is concerned. Some will say you don't hire a coach because he can talk at a press conference or impress students or alumni. But as you may not make that assessment in the hiring process, you can't ignore it once even winning isn't happening. Bill Belicheck isn't going to wow anyone at a presser. Nor is he going to be accused of being a Tom Landry in terms of his game-day dress. But- ha ha ha- [Redacted] is no Belicheck.

I don't give a damn who our coach is- I want wins. I want Wake to win everything. If [Redacted] is the coach who somehow defies all historical indicators and patterns and suddenly gets Wake into the positive side of the W/L column and possibly post-season wins, so be it. But his lack of appeal is still there and frankly, when you're talking about sitting in a recruit's living room with a young man and his parents, it is part of a coach's acumen which must be assessed. It impacts the way you interact with players. Students. Fans. Alumni.

If you were pissed at [Redacted] because Wake lost games, it's inconsistent and hypocritical to want to see Wake lose games now. That makes one man greater than the program and I refuse to let [Redacted] mean more to me than Wake. Personally, I don't see his tenure lasting long enough to cause more damage than he's already wrought at this point. So I just want to see wins, [Redacted] be damned. We've fired Odom and Dino for having better results. At some point [Redacted] will pass too. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy whatever wins and positives we can have when we have them.

I want to win, but I'm so confident in [Redacted] being a bad coach that I don't need to pull against us to know we're going to lose games anyway.

I want to win, but I'm so confident in [Redacted] being a bad coach that I don't need to pull against us to know we're going to lose games anyway.

Yep. And I have no postseason hopes so that's not a complicating factor.

Nothing is going to happen that would be worth having to endure another year of the Bzaster.

If you were pissed at [Redacted] because Wake lost games, it's inconsistent and hypocritical to want to see Wake lose games now. That makes one man greater than the program and I refuse to let [Redacted] mean more to me than Wake. Personally, I don't see his tenure lasting long enough to cause more damage than he's already wrought at this point. So I just want to see wins, [Redacted] be damned. We've fired Odom and Dino for having better results. At some point [Redacted] will pass too. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy whatever wins and positives we can have when we have them.

Except that there is good reason to believe that if we had lost to Miami last year we wouldn't have to suffer through another season of [Redacted]. I am not saying that I went out and bought a Hurricanes T-shirt before last year's game, but when we won, my thought process was something like: 'WHOOHOO! We just beat the number two team in the country! Whooo......hoo....wait a minute...shit...Bz is definitely gonna get another year now.' I don't ever actively root against Wake, but if we are 14 and 14 playing a ranked opponent at home near the end of February, a loss is going to be way more beneficial than a win.

The worst possible thing for the long term success of our hoops program is for us to make it to postseason. We need a string of crushing defeats when conference season starts and I think [Redacted] is just the man for the job.

This whole BzzOut thing started because we were losing games. Games we had no business losing. Add in his utter social ineptitude and lack of charisma and it swirled out into a tornado. But don't lose sight- this is about winning or losing.

The damage is done as far as [Redacted] is concerned. Some will say you don't hire a coach because he can talk at a press conference or impress students or alumni. But as you may not make that assessment in the hiring process, you can't ignore it once even winning isn't happening. Bill Belicheck isn't going to wow anyone at a presser. Nor is he going to be accused of being a Tom Landry in terms of his game-day dress. But- ha ha ha- [Redacted] is no Belicheck.

I don't give a damn who our coach is- I want wins. I want Wake to win everything. If [Redacted] is the coach who somehow defies all historical indicators and patterns and suddenly gets Wake into the positive side of the W/L column and possibly post-season wins, so be it. But his lack of appeal is still there and frankly, when you're talking about sitting in a recruit's living room with a young man and his parents, it is part of a coach's acumen which must be assessed. It impacts the way you interact with players. Students. Fans. Alumni.

Nice post.

For me the bar was always NCAA tourney in year 4 for whatever coaching staff took over after Dino. I don't care about press conferences, personality, coach-speak, Athletic Department spin, culture, ties, whether someone is a Wake legend, who the players like or don't like - all that matters is winning, and winning cures all.

We've had some chances this year to show we've moved beyond the mind-numbing discussion of "are we bad or mediocre" - but we didn't win more than 1 game in Atlantis and couldn't keep it close against Xavier. We have another one coming up against a very flawed UNC team that has no real talent over 6'9" so we shouldn't be outmatched, but lose there and drop the next 2 road games... Not sure anyone's going to be worrying about winning too much if that happens.

I just hope we end up with a record that accurately reflects the quality of the team.

I was very happy for CJ when we beat Miami. He deserved a big win in his senior season after enduring the shitstorm Bz brought him. But that win killed Wake basketball for three years at a minimum. We won't sniff postseason play with Bz. The man is a loser. It's that simple.

You're assuming Wellman would have fired him if we'd lost to Miami?

Dream on.

Not a struggle. You root hard (assuming you bother to watch) until reality sets in. Then you pray that someday soon you'll never have to look at Bzdelick's clueless face ever again.

Except that there is good reason to believe that if we had lost to Miami last year we wouldn't have to suffer through another season of [Redacted]. I am not saying that I went out and bought a Hurricanes T-shirt before last year's game, but when we won, my thought process was something like: 'WHOOHOO! We just beat the number two team in the country! Whooo......hoo....wait a minute...shit...Bz is definitely gonna get another year now.' I don't ever actively root against Wake, but if we are 14 and 14 playing a ranked opponent at home near the end of February, a loss is going to be way more beneficial than a win.

I think you're either giving a single win too much credit or not giving Wellman enough. The "minimum" wins question from last season notwithstanding, [Redacted] is/was Wellman's boytoy. He would've found some way to spin "improvement" and "culture" into "staying the course."

Nice post.

For me the bar was always NCAA tourney in year 4 for whatever coaching staff took over after Dino. I don't care about press conferences, personality, coach-speak, Athletic Department spin, culture, ties, whether someone is a Wake legend, who the players like or don't like - all that matters is winning, and winning cures all.

We've had some chances this year to show we've moved beyond the mind-numbing discussion of "are we bad or mediocre" - but we didn't win more than 1 game in Atlantis and couldn't keep it close against Xavier. We have another one coming up against a very flawed UNC team that has no real talent over 6'9" so we shouldn't be outmatched, but lose there and drop the next 2 road games... Not sure anyone's going to be worrying about winning too much if that happens.

I just hope we end up with a record that accurately reflects the quality of the team.

In as much as we had a #1 Ranking, made the Dance with Dino, and were told he was leaving so we could "improve", I thought my bar was closer to 2 sweet 16's and 2 final 8's.. and maybe, just maybe.......

Then I realized we had been lied to...

Back