• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Emotional Conflict: Postseason Dreams vs. Wanting Bzz fired

You're assuming Wellman would have fired him if we'd lost to Miami?

Dream on.

For some reason I was thinking we ended the season playing better ball. Then I looked at our schedule and saw that we lost 4 of 5 (all by double digits) after the Miami game. That game was definitely spun into some sort of "improvement" mantra. Without it the back half of our schedule looks even worse.

For me the bar was always NCAA tourney in year 4 for whatever coaching staff took over after Dino. I don't care about press conferences, personality, coach-speak, Athletic Department spin, culture, ties, whether someone is a Wake legend, who the players like or don't like - all that matters is winning, and winning cures all.

And this underscores why the bigger problem for all of us is the administration as a whole and athletic department in the immediate. Sorry, but it's unacceptable for a Wake official to have a goal of making the NCAAT in anything but successive years. There will always be rebuilding times and unpredictable injuries or academic fuck ups but being utterly irrelevant in a major and ever-growing conference means the firings have to go higher than [Redacted]. It's like Jerry Jones firing coach after coach after coach not realizing the problem stares at him in the mirror every morning.

In re: the personality, as I said- when you win, it doesn't matter. Right now, it does. Skip lost games. Skip had disappointments. But when Skip talked to the media and fans, he made you feel "not so bad" about it. I'm weary of the constant reminders of Skip- we need to move on out of respect for him and his family but also ourselves. But as an example for how to ameliorate a loss with personality, he's perfect. [Redacted] is a wet pile of old newspaper. And as long as he's Captain Yet Another Loss, his losses (which are actually ours) are dismal with no upside.

I think the worst spin was the Maryland ACC tournament game. I mean, sure we looked ok in the first half. But to claim that as evidence of improvement? Yikes.

When it comes to Wellman and the issue of Bz, we're essentially dealing with a case of insanity, a case of an absence of rational thought. So it's useless to play the will he or won't he game, or the would have or wouldn't have game, because we base those speculations on the assumption of rational thought.
Who the F knows with this guy?

There's a number of wins, BabyDeac has made mention,
that will lead to the ultimate horror: an extension.
If such number exists (which is hard to believe),
that's the number I hope we will never achieve.

BabyDeac, I ask you, can you tell us the number
that would sink us and cause several more years of slumber?
Because once the threshold is safely unattainable
our rooting interest in Wake will become, again, sustainable.

Now, that was good!

I never root against us even though I hate Wellman and Bzzz. The 15-point loss to an average Xavier team leads me to believe that the conference schedule will kill us. And then, hopefully, Bzz as well.

There's a number of wins, BabyDeac has made mention,
that will lead to the ultimate horror: an extension.
If such number exists (which is hard to believe),
that's the number I hope we will never achieve.

BabyDeac, I ask you, can you tell us the number
that would sink us and cause several more years of slumber?
Because once the threshold is safely unattainable
our rooting interest in Wake will become, again, sustainable.

I'm going to assume that number doesnt accurately take into account the jawdropping increase in cupcake games.

Bz has played almost an entire season's worth of sub-100 teams beyond our 'normal allotment' before his arrival.

Nice post.

For me the bar was always NCAA tourney in year 4 for whatever coaching staff took over after Dino. I don't care about press conferences, personality, coach-speak, Athletic Department spin, culture, ties, whether someone is a Wake legend, who the players like or don't like - all that matters is winning, and winning cures all.

We've had some chances this year to show we've moved beyond the mind-numbing discussion of "are we bad or mediocre" - but we didn't win more than 1 game in Atlantis and couldn't keep it close against Xavier. We have another one coming up against a very flawed UNC team that has no real talent over 6'9" so we shouldn't be outmatched, but lose there and drop the next 2 road games... Not sure anyone's going to be worrying about winning too much if that happens.

I just hope we end up with a record that accurately reflects the quality of the team.

Doesn't get much more LOWF than that. Based on the publicly stated reasons for firing Dino the bar should have been two NCAA's and a sweet sixteen in the first three years.

I do not believe Bz will succeed here. If he proves me wrong so be it, I'll enjoy the success. In the meantime, I'll continue to pull for Wake to win as always because what I want happen has no actual effect on the game's outcome.

I think the worst spin was the Maryland ACC tournament game. I mean, sure we looked ok in the first half. But to claim that as evidence of improvement? Yikes.

Hell..[Redacted] coached the second half like he had been fired during half time. A truly pitiful display.

Nice post.

We've had some chances this year to show we've moved beyond the mind-numbing discussion of "are we bad or mediocre" - but we didn't win more than 1 game in Atlantis and couldn't keep it close against Xavier. We have another one coming up against a very flawed UNC team that has no real talent over 6'9" so we shouldn't be outmatched, but lose there and drop the next 2 road games... Not sure anyone's going to be worrying about winning too much if that happens.

I just hope we end up with a record that accurately reflects the quality of the team.

Amazing...

Doesn't get much more LOWF than that. Based on the publicly stated reasons for firing Dino the bar should have been two NCAA's and a sweet sixteen in the first three years.

^^^THIS^^^

Whatever. I hated the hire and didn't think we needed to hire some zero personality guy to come gut the program. Apparently Wellman did. Rebuilds take 3-4 years typically. It's not like the expectation after that is one NCAA appearance every 4 years - it's a program with a constant flow of experienced talent that goes to lots of NCAA tourneys and makes deep runs. How many times have we made the 2nd weekend of the tourney since we hired Skip again?

Hiring [Redacted] was an obvious effort to change the makeup and direction of the program. Dino was fired because he had great talent and did nothing with it, then we all watched those guys leave early without winning jack for us. I assume we were trying to get back to a more Odom-like style with [Redacted], he just sucks at it.

Whatever. I hated the hire and didn't think we needed to hire some zero personality guy to come gut the program. Apparently Wellman did. Rebuilds take 3-4 years typically. It's not like the expectation after that is one NCAA appearance every 4 years - it's a program with a constant flow of experienced talent that goes to lots of NCAA tourneys and makes deep runs. How many times have we made the 2nd weekend of the tourney since we hired Skip again?

Hiring [Redacted] was an obvious effort to change the makeup and direction of the program. Dino was fired because he had great talent and did nothing with it, then we all watched those guys leave early without winning jack for us. I assume we were trying to get back to a more Odom-like style with [Redacted], he just sucks at it.

So many inaccuracies in this post, many of which have been addressed ad nauseam on these boards. Odom coached for us in a different era of college basketball. To say we were trying to get back to a more Odom-like style is to not understand the type of coach Odom was, the type of players Odom recruited, and the era of basketball Odom coached in. None of those three are similar to anything [Redacted] is doing at Wake or had done prior to coming to Wake.

There was no need for a rebuild, as has been explained in more than sufficient detail.

Says you. Says me. Wellman thought differently. I agree Odom coached in a (somewhat) different era and his style doesn't really work well anymore, evidenced by what he did at South Carolina after he left. Part of the problem with the [Redacted] plan is it's outdated and very few schools succeed with it. Like a handful, if that. Thinking [Redacted] was the guy to make it work at Wake was a giant stretch.

Bz isn't the problem. The problem is Bz's boss who will retain Bz for making the NIT in year four to replace a guy fired after winning an NCAAT game in year three. The Miami game has as much impact as our making the postseason this year (or not), which is to say none at all.

Pat Hayden drove to the airport to can Lane Kiffin on the tarmac for a conference road loss. Meanwhile, Wellman defends a guy who got housed by Stetson at home.

I want to win but I too have resigned myself to the fact that when we lose he is that much closer to being fired. The game on Saturday was clear and convincing that he is just an awful coach.

You guys still watch the games?

That's the main reason I despise Wellman and bz. They took something that used to be a huge part of my life and made me not care about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back