• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

end the tyranny of small plate dining

Interesting point; I guess I'm still on board with small plates b/c I find them to be synonymous with Happy Hour, so one little slider (which is about 1/3 the size of the main entree sandwich, should you order that during regular dinner service) is $3 instead of $12. I think having a solid happy hour (and for a restaurant to survive in PDX, it NEEDS a solid happy hour menu) has helped save entire restaurants from doing small plates like he describes for their whole service - you need to be able to differentiate the two.

My dad refuses to eat at any place that does small plates. He just doesn't understand the concept. He also isn't very good at sharing.

i like it when dining with 2 people. any more than that and the small plates dont give you enough to actually share.

even with two it can sometimes be difficult.

It does suck to spend serious $$$ and get a tiny portion.

The biggest issue with small plates is they're often priced the same as regular plates, which can lead to some absurd bills. Purely from a dining standpoint, it's superior, though. The real tyranny is protein-starch-vegetable. GTFO.

Definitely stupid if you don't like dining or even food in general.

Never heard of it. They must not do that commie shit in Texas.

If you want to share food, you do it over large portions and customary stuff like banchan. Korean food FTW.

I like tapas places on date nights with the wife. Good way to get lots of different kinds of good, interesting food, and the cost is about the same as a meal at a traditional restaurant. Plus it's a little more relaxing and slow, so more time to chat. I wouldn't want to do it with a group of more than 4 people, because sharing would indeed then be complicated, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

Generally don't like it but the girl and the goat in Chicago makes some bomb ass small plates

Just got back from Bistro B's in K-Vegas and my wife and I rocked some small plates. 6th or 7th time we've been and it's always good. I agree with the general premise of the article, but when small plates are done right, it is a great experience.

I've eaten at a couple of good small-plate spots in Portland (if you're there you HAVE to go to Pok Pok - amazing) but, in general, they're not places to go if you're hungry. Which is, you know, the whole point of going out to eat...

Just got back from Bistro B's in K-Vegas and my wife and I rocked some small plates. 6th or 7th time we've been and it's always good. I agree with the general premise of the article, but when small plates are done right, it is a great experience.

How is bistro b? I have heard good things but have not eaten there.

Back