• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

end the tyranny of small plate dining

The food at Bistro B's is great. Certainly among the best in the triad (I would not recommend the cheesecake, though). The problem is the service is hit or miss... and it usually misses. The wait staff are generally pleasant, but they often aren't as attentive as they should be. Whether that is a factor of not having enough staff on hand or just them not paying attention varies. The food makes up for it though, so we keep going back.

I like the idea of sharing a few plates, but there needs to be a PSA for all servers that they need to expect a carousel of credit cards when serving a large group. It's slightly obnoxious when you have a group of 8+ people and the server gives you attitude when you fill up the check holder with cards - especially since restaurant POS systems make it so a half-blind chimp could split the check with ease.

there are a couple of small plate places in charlotte that dhtoy loves. and the food is definitely good. but whenever i tell people about them, i'm always like "the food is great. don't go there if you're hungry. you'll leave still very, very hungry." i eat a lot, and it's really frustrating for me to feel like i have to spend a fortune just to get a decent amount of food. i've gotten to the point where i just eat something substantial before i go.

Eight cards is probably lame. But a for table of four couples, for example, its not unreasonable to drop four cards.

And having worked in the service industry, its incredibly easy to split a check eight ways even if someone does drop eight cards.

Why would it matter if 8 versus 4. Same number of cards per diner. Silly. With the 8, he prob has tacked on tip already, so it is a straight split. Now, if you want 14 on this one, 12 on this one, 15 on this one etc, then you should be shot and buried ass up in a prairie dog field.

I like the idea of sharing a few plates, but there needs to be a PSA for all servers that they need to expect a carousel of credit cards when serving a large group. It's slightly obnoxious when you have a group of 8+ people and the server gives you attitude when you fill up the check holder with cards - especially since restaurant POS systems make it so a half-blind chimp could split the check with ease.

Yeah, my roommate was a waiter during college and he said that splitting checks is really simple. Not sure why its such a hard thing for them to do, I'm paying you 20% on top of my bill for you do work a computer for 10 seconds.

The key is to be very upfront about splitting checks right when they take drink orders.

there are a couple of small plate places in charlotte that dhtoy loves. and the food is definitely good. but whenever i tell people about them, i'm always like "the food is great. don't go there if you're hungry. you'll leave still very, very hungry." i eat a lot, and it's really frustrating for me to feel like i have to spend a fortune just to get a decent amount of food. i've gotten to the point where i just eat something substantial before i go.

i eat a lot and never feel this way at small plates places. i guess we just order more small plates knowing that they're... umm... small?

i eat a lot and never feel this way at small plates places. i guess we just order more small plates knowing that they're... umm... small?

the point isn't that you can't order a lot. it's that you HAVE to order a lot, and the price per plate is very high for how little you get. so say i'm at a regular restaurant and spend $20 on my entree, if i go to a small plate place, i'd need to get at least 4 of those, and they're each priced at $10. a quarter of the food for only half the cost.

the point isn't that you can't order a lot. it's that you HAVE to order a lot, and the price per plate is very high for how little you get. so say i'm at a regular restaurant and spend $20 on my entree, if i go to a small plate place, i'd need to get at least 4 of those, and they're each priced at $10. a quarter of the food for only half the cost.

meh... i'd rather order more of the good stuff and get less starches. i dont need a massive thing of potatoes, grits, rice, etc. i'd much rather have more non-filler.

You eat four small plates at Good Food on Montford? No wonder you're exercising all the time.

You eat four small plates at Good Food on Montford? No wonder you're exercising all the time.

no, i don't. that's the problem. i still leave hungry. we typically order 5 plates for the 2 of us. but it's definitely not enough food. that's why i eat before i go.

bread? do people order a veg or snacky type cheaper one or two? i just don't think i spend that much more than at a "normal" spot. do you not get 2 apps and 2 entrees?

bread? do people order a veg or snacky type cheaper one or two? i just don't think i spend that much more than at a "normal" spot. do you not get 2 apps and 2 entrees?

at good food, they're aren't apps and entrees. they're all small plates, and they're all priced in the $10ish range. maybe the places you frequent just have bigger portions than what good food has. no clue. i'm just agreeing with the article that the pricing for most small plate places is out of line with the amount of food they give you. i agree that the food is great. but they're charging for a full portion, yet giving you an itty bitty portion.

i guess my gripe isn't about the food. it's about the pricing. i just want to get the amount of food that i feel like i should get for the price they're charging.

Man some people on this board can bitch about absolutely nothing.

Me included.

That being said I like small plates, especially in a tapas setting. I think its a great idea and great way to have a meal with friends. And yes it generally costs a couple dollars more than getting everyone their own entree at an Applebees, but it seems pretty comparable to a similar dining experience involving large plates.

Last edited:
Back