• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

end the tyranny of small plate dining

Small plates and portions are a good reason never to go to French restaurants in the US. Tapas bars, OTOH, are great, and we have a good 1 in Cville.

$10 entrees? lol. maybe i'm out of the loop not living in nc, but generally places i put on par with the small plates im looking at $30 entrees.

$10 entrees? lol. maybe i'm out of the loop not living in nc, but generally places i put on par with the small plates im looking at $30 entrees.

i said $10 for the small plates, not for a regular restaurant.

and i'd say that the typical restaurant that's on par with the place that hp mentioned would probably be in the $20-$25ish range for regular sized meals. which means $50 (max) for two people. we get 5 small plates at good food, so again, that puts us at about $50. but i leave still really hungry. as in, i have to eat an entire meal either before or after it or i'm starving. i'd much rather get a real quantity of food.

i said $10 for the small plates, not for a regular restaurant.

and i'd say that the typical restaurant that's on par with the place that hp mentioned would probably be in the $20-$25ish range for regular sized meals. which means $50 (max) for two people. we get 5 small plates at good food, so again, that puts us at about $50. but i leave still really hungry. as in, i have to eat an entire meal either before or after it or i'm starving. i'd much rather get a real quantity of food.

What are you splitting five plates of, crackers and cheese?

What are you splitting five plates of, crackers and cheese?

like one of the plates we always order are quail lettuce wraps. they come with two pieces of lettuce, and maybe 4 pieces of quail. each wrap ends up being two bites of food.

like one of the plates we always order are quail lettuce wraps. they come with two pieces of lettuce, and maybe 4 pieces of quail. each wrap ends up being two bites of food.

I think what you're ordering is your problem. Manifest and I stumbled into this place in Key West by accident:

http://www.santiagosbodega.com/

Ending up splitting beef tenderloin, bruschetta, stuffed dates and short ribs; along with the $3 endless bread and a huge pitcher of sangria. I think our bill was like $40 a piece with tip and it may of been the best meal of my life. I was in no way hungry after that, and as a former 285 pounder, I know hunger.

Last edited:
I think what you're ordering is your problem. Manifest and I stumbled into this place in Key West by accident:

Ending up splitting beef tenderloin, bruschetta, stuffed dates and short ribs; along with the $3 endless bread and a huge pitcher of sangria. I think our bill was like $40 a piece and it may of been the best meal of my life.

i put the disclaimer up there that maybe other places just have bigger portions. it's possible (i've really only frequented 2 small plate places. the other one definitely has bigger servings than good food does. but i assumed good food was average. since my experience is rather limited, i don't have anything else to compare it to). maybe my problem is with the one particular restaurant and not those restaurants in general. since i agreed with the article, i assumed they were all like that.

small plates are awesome. not sure about the "tyranny of small plate dining." eating good food costs more $.

i put the disclaimer up there that maybe other places just have bigger portions. it's possible (i've really only frequented 2 small plate places. the other one definitely has bigger servings than good food does. but i assumed good food was average. since my experience is rather limited, i don't have anything else to compare it to). maybe my problem is with the one particular restaurant and not those restaurants in general. since i agreed with the article, i assumed they were all like that.

Can't speak to Good Food, as I'm still in the middle of boycotting the meh that is Charlotte, but point taken. Just couldn't let you people come on here besmirching the greatness that is tapas.

I like small plates restaurants fine, but I do wish that someone in the US would actually come out with a true Spanish-style tapas place. what I mean by that is a spread of good stuff at the bar, you walk up, can get a drink or two, grab a couple of pintxos off the bar, and pay by the toothpick. then head on to the next place. such a satisfying way of starting your evening.

and I say that as someone who loves "Spanish tapas" style places as we have them in the US, including Jaleo and Estadio here in DC.

Just saw a mersh and now I know exactly what hoops was talking about. Red lobster has 4 courses for 14.99. That's fine dining in Charlotte, right?

DeacHoops, you should hook up with lbE for some tips on how to eat on a budget.

DeacHoops, you should hook up with lbE for some tips on how to eat on a budget.

When was that conversation? Like 5 years ago?
For the record, I love small plates and lots of places out here have them for 5-8 bucks, not 10.

Ending up splitting beef tenderloin, bruschetta, stuffed dates and short ribs; along with the $3 endless bread and a huge pitcher of sangria. I think our bill was like $40 a piece with tip and it may of been the best meal of my life. I was in no way hungry after that, and as a former 285 pounder, I know hunger.

We ate there our first night and loved it. Their sangria was amazing! I think I went through 4 glasses in one meal there.

It's almost like small plate prices vary between restaurants based on quality, popularity, or simply what they can get away with.

Just like every other restaurant on the planet.

Only difference is people who don't understand the concept look at a menu with $10 plates that sound awesome and think they're getting out of there for $40 with drinks on date night.

Back