• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Equal Justice Initiative's National Memorial to Victims of Lynching

The "heritage not hate" people need to see a strong visual representation of what their "heritage" is.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Germans have a phrase and an entire concept on this - "Kollektivschuld" or collective guilt. The idea that when something horrible is done on such a large scale, it's not individuals alone that bear the guilt - but the entire society that housed them. Acknowledging and confronting that collective guilt is a core basis of the post-war history of the country (and is in stark contrast to Austria, which was painted by the allied powers as "the first victims of German naziism" as a political step required to avoid the splitting of the country and giving Vienna over to the Soviets ... which has led to a warped and twisted relationships between many Austrians and the war that is quite different than the one in Germany).

The fact that the US, and especially regions of the US, has refused to acknowledge this collective guilt for the scars that still so clearly remain is a huge mistake. I like Wrangor, he's a good poster, but I think he's very clearly wrong here. I think we should preserve slaves quarters, lynching sites and the rest and I think every school child should have to visit them. When you have major political figures still saying things like "the slaves that built the white house were well fed and had decent lodging" in 2016, we clearly have not educated our population of our own failings nearly well enough.

I see you point but we can just agree to disagree slightly. Here is a statement the Emmett Till commission came up with that I think speaks to your point somewhat so I don't think we are all far off. We are more degrees off than directional off.

http://www.etmctallahatchie.com/pages/resolution.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And? Have you seen Milwaukee? You want to willingly stir up hatred that already exists? That sounds extremely wise.

Very much so. That's the essence of identity politics. It drives turnout and loyalty, which is very important when the policies fail so spectacularly. Could you imagine if the Dems had to defend the results of their platform? Yikes. Much better to blame the cops and cry about privilege. Stirring up hatred is exactly what they'd rather do, considering the alternative of being accountable for delivering on their promises.

I see you point but we can just agree to disagree slightly. Here is a statement the Emmett Till commission came up with that I think speaks to your point somewhat so I don't think we are all far off. We are more degrees off than directional off.

http://www.etmctallahatchie.com/pages/resolution.htm

And once that letter is sent, it's over. Future generations may or may not see it. Let them see a statue like you see Aushwitz.

Very much so. That's the essence of identity politics. It drives turnout and loyalty, which is very important when the policies fail so spectacularly. Could you imagine if the Dems had to defend the results of their platform? Yikes. Much better to blame the cops and cry about privilege. Stirring up hatred is exactly what they'd rather do, considering the alternative of being accountable for delivering on their promises.

Good thing 'pubs are above identity politics and are willing to stand behind their platforms.

Good thing 'pubs are above identity politics and are willing to stand behind their platforms.

A point well taken. This behavior is answered in kind, but let's all agree to call it out for what it is, because this is surely a pile of crap fit only for the infantilized of all ages.

At some point, we've got to shelve the victim narrative in favor of a results-based dialogue, right?

At some point you have to realize that the Democratic party is actually made up of various minority groups persuing their own interests, and you have to stop pretending that it's all white liberals tricking black and brown people to vote for them. At that point you would actually have to have the courage to tell these people why their own self interests are wrong, rather than condescendingly directing all of your wisdom to some vague influential higher authority.

Last edited:
At some point you have to realize that the Democratic party is actually made of various minority groups persuing their own interests, and you have to stop pretending that it's all white liberals tricking black and brown people to vote for them. At that point you would actually have to have the courage to tell these people why their own self interests are wrong, rather than condescendingly directing all of your wisdom to some vague influential higher authority.

The unemployment rate for black Americans age 16-24 is under 50%. I'd say that the party they vote for with religious devotion isn't delivering on its empty promises. That's doesn't require courage to say and/or assess. That requires data.

http://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LNU02324931

Last edited:
Im sure "black people" would be interested to learn more about your analysis. Please go tell as many as you can and tell me how it goes.

Im sure "black people" would be interested to learn more about your analysis. Please go tell as many as you can and tell me how it goes.

I would love a conversation on the results of the policies you've been advocating for the last 50 years, probably a lot more than you would.

A point well taken. This behavior is answered in kind, but let's all agree to call it out for what it is, because this is surely a pile of crap fit only for the infantilized of all ages.

At some point, we've got to shelve the victim narrative in favor of a results-based dialogue, right?

Yep. Once we can agree on the best way to move towards the goals of 100% high school graduation, 0% teenage pregnancy rates, and 100% of the people obtaining a college/technical degree before having kids, we should have no problems.

I would love a conversation on the results of the policies you've been advocating for the last 50 years, probably a lot more than you would.
So you're completely certain that black people in general are unaware of their present condition, or you just believe they are unaware of political options? I thought it was just us smug white liberals who presumed to know whats best for black people in general. Good to know that we have something in common across the aisle. Except you have data and facts. Why didn't we think of that?

Yep. Once we can agree on the best way to move towards the goals of 100% high school graduation, 0% teenage pregnancy rates, and 100% of the people obtaining a college/technical degree before having kids, we should have no problems.

How many more museums/raised awareness about slavery until we get there, do you think? We've got to be getting close by now.

So you're completely certain that black people in general are unaware of their present condition, or you just believe they are unaware of political options? I thought it was just us smug white liberals who presumed to know whats best for black people in general. Good to know that we have something in common accross the aisle. Except you have data and facts. Why didn't we think of that?

Apparently we can add "the history of lynchings" to the things that all people are unaware of, but we've got an operating plan to transport a monument to every town square in America to make this....better? Good job, good effort.

I'm not sure how that topic is relevant to our conversation. Maybe you want to build a museum or memorial to the failures of the Democratic party? Be my guest. I respect your passion in trying to bring awareness. I'm sure that company that built the Ark experience would be excited about the idea.

It's really not a complex issue to decipher. Clearly a man of your considerable intellect should have no trouble figuring out when other people have figured out that you guys would rather keep blowing into dog whistles of past injustices, instead of talking about the actual results of your present policies. Because that's what this is. It is working for you at the ballot box. For them? Not so much. Carry on.

damn i missed this entirely. I should have known this thread was fertile ground for the "whites are duping blacks into voting against their best interests" canard. shit!

who's long con is worse? The liberals duping blacks into voting for entitlements, or the conservatives duping middle-classers into voting for trickle-down against their own interests?

damn i missed this entirely. I should have known this thread was fertile ground for the "whites are duping blacks into voting against their best interests" canard. shit!

The wildly-popular Hillary Clinton is going to get a higher percentage of the popular vote than the employment rate for black Americans age 16-24. With friends like you guys...

Back