• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Equal Justice Initiative's National Memorial to Victims of Lynching

my fave aspect of jhmd's democratic handout canard is that dems have had carte blanch on social policy that effects minorities for the last 50 years. way to go dems!

Somehow after a black guy has held the most powerful office in the world for the past 8 years, we white liberals are still on the hook for "duping" black voters into doing our bidding. For all the 100 times that jhmd has accused a poster of racist low expectations, he still doesnt believe that black people themselves influence on the direction of the democratic party, it's just us liberal whites pulling all the strings and brainwashing helpless black people.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

If white people were in total control of the party then Bernie might be the nominee right now, and he is more economically liberal than Hillary. Black Americans turned down the candidate that promised them the most "disencentivizing" government benefits.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you had more effective policies, you wouldn't be so afraid of talking about their results.

You must have me confused with someone who makes policies.

I'm just a message board poster who prefers when threads aren't consistently hijacked by off-topic drivel.

I'll make sure to note this the next time you're hijacking off topic.

I finally got around to watching New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu's speech on the city's Confederate monuments. It lived up to the hype.

Transcript

The Memorial opens today.

A Lynching Memorial Is Opening. The Country Has Never Seen Anything Like It.

“If I believe that each of us is more than the worst thing he’s ever done,” he said, “I have to believe that for everybody.”

But the history has to be acknowledged and its destructive legacy faced, he said. And this is particularly hard in “the most punitive society on the planet.”

People do not want to admit wrongdoing in America, Mr. Stevenson said, because they expect only punishment.

“I’m not interested in talking about America’s history because I want to punish America,” Mr. Stevenson continued. “I want to liberate America. And I think it’s important for us to do this as an organization that has created an identity that is as disassociated from punishment as possible.”

The editorial board of a Montgomery newspaper apologizes for its role:

Our shame: The sins of our past laid bare for all to see

On the day when people from across the globe come to our capital city to consider the sordid history of slavery and lynching and try to reconcile the horrors of our past, the Montgomery Advertiser recognizes its own shameful place in the history of these dastardly, murderous deeds.

We take responsibility for our proliferation of a false narrative regarding the treatment of African-Americans in those disgraceful days.

The Advertiser was careless in how it covered mob violence and the terror foisted upon African-Americans from Reconstruction through the 1950s. We dehumanized human beings. Too often we characterized lynching victims as guilty before proven so and often assumed they committed the crime.

Back