• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN cleans house

For all the talk about "talking heads don't matter" does a single person here watch the Fox Sports version of College Gameday? Or even the SEC version? Sometimes analysis does matter. The Pollack firing is surprising, until your realize how many people they actually have on that show now. I'm sure Pollack will be on Fox Sports this season in between Clay and Urban.
Big Noon Kickoff is MUCH better than Gameday in terms of actual analysis these days. Stone, Meyer, Stoops (for a while), Leinart, Bush, Quinn are far, far better than the ESPN crew. However, I still find myself watching more of Gameday just due to nostalgia.

Also, enjoy Klatt and Johnson a lot more than Fowler/Herbstreit.

Big Noon Kickoff is MUCH better than Gameday in terms of actual analysis these days. Stone, Meyer, Stoops (for a while), Leinart, Bush, Quinn are far, far better than the ESPN crew. However, I still find myself watching more of Gameday just due to nostalgia.

Also, enjoy Klatt and Johnson a lot more than Fowler/Herbstreit.
Joel Klatt is probably one of the best analysts of the game. Just really, really good. And then Gus Johnson is a phenomenal play-by-play guy.

It's hard for me to get hyped about watching pregame analysis before I sit down to watch 10-14 hours of college football.

Easier to get hyped when the discussion focuses on more than a handful of teams too.

I'm usually tailgating or golfing anyway.

Shitty thing about Gameday now is the Michigan guy and the Ohio State guy are still there. And I definitely check out the SEC Gameday show. I’ve watched the ACC and it’s awful.
The SEC has a pregame show? I have no idea who’s on it but they can’t be more exciting than watching Mark Richt!!

In other news....

I see where ACC Media Days has been extended to 3 days beginning July 25th.

In other news....

I see where ACC Media Days has been extended to 3 days beginning July 25th.

Great content for ACCN. Dabo, Mack, and a bunch of coaches with no rings talking about culture.

Great content for ACCN. Dabo, Mack, and a bunch of coaches with no rings talking about culture.
The SEC has 1 more coach with a ring than the ACC, and he's probably the most overpaid coach in the history of college sports, given his results.

Kirby and Saban have more rings than they can wear. Kiffin got one with Southern Cal. Pittman got one at Georgia. Stoops missed one by a year at FSU. Brian Kelly's at least been to the CFP and all it took was one season playing in the ACC. Beamer's also been to the CFP. Heupel's been to the national championship game.

And Tony Scott got some at Clemson. Cristobal and Key got one at Bama too. Hafley has a CFP appearance with tOSU.

With Hugh Freeze back, the SEC media can get an update on phone sex hotlines.

Kirby and Saban have more rings than they can wear. Kiffin got one with Southern Cal. Pittman got one at Georgia. Stoops missed one by a year at FSU. Brian Kelly's at least been to the CFP and all it took was one season playing in the ACC. Beamer's also been to the CFP. Heupel's been to the national championship game.

And Tony Scott got some at Clemson. Cristobal and Key got one at Bama too. Hafley has a CFP appearance with tOSU.
So your argument is.. there is the exact same number of HCs with some form of a ring in the ACC and SEC?

Just feels like that bubble is bursting. Those media rights contracts are insane and probably untenable. Some provider that would benefit more from the content for their catalog will surely find value in ESPN, but content isn't something Disney is short on. It just feels like the days of watching whatever sports are on TV for the casual consumer are long gone.

Just feels like that bubble is bursting. Those media rights contracts are insane and probably untenable. Some provider that would benefit more from the content for their catalog will surely find value in ESPN, but content isn't something Disney is short on. It just feels like the days of watching whatever sports are on TV for the casual consumer are long gone.
PLOT TWIST: The ACC is going to be the richest conference since our media rights are locked in until 2036. Everyone else is going to have to re-up at lower and lower rates

I was curious about ESPN's obvious financial woes and the impact that it would have on any further conference realignment and poaching. No way in hell any of our ACC brethren who think the SEC and Big 10 are falling over themselves to extend invites are actually going anywhere, anytime in the near future. It's not like the SEC is just going to vote to add a Clempson or F$U since they don't really move the needle on tv markets and they're not going to split the existing money pie between additional schools just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Back