• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN cleans house

Could you imagine a Disney that simply entertained people and put shareholder interest as priority #1?
I don't have to imagine that. That's what Disney is. But they also stood up for a large portion of their employee base of actors and creatives, many of whom are gay.

Can you imagine a Republican party that doesn't intervene in people's lives?

I may be the outlier but I largely just have college gameday on in the background Saturday mornings as I otherwise go about my life. Always have it on though

Shitty thing about Gameday now is the Michigan guy and the Ohio State guy are still there. And I definitely check out the SEC Gameday show. I’ve watched the ACC and it’s awful.
The Huddle? I actually think it’s pretty good. Personally, I think the SEC one is awful. I honestly think any of those shows are good if they are covering whatever it is you want to hear. You care about the SEC so you like their show. I care about the ACC so I like The Huddle.

• signing something that slashed the workforce in two industries that already had a pretty sizable labor shortage probably isn’t great
  • cancelling ~350MM in federal funding (which has been one of if not the largest driver of Florida’s economic boom since 2019) for consumers when the cost of living is skyrocketing in FL while wages are lagging doesn’t exactly scream economic boost.
Wait what? I haven't been following the Meatball Ron Vs The House that Mickey Built but Disney was getting 350M in tax payer money? The fuck?

You gotta watch the Laura Rutledge and Roman Harper segments.

i don't watch any of the pre-game shows -- only sports personalities I would miss are the TNT NBA studio crew and I only watch them at halftime, not pre- or post-game

I just want live sports and highlights -- I prefer to consume analysis, etc. via writing and youtube not TV

For the record, I have too much crap to do on Saturday morning to actually watch any of these shows. It's just background noise. But a Gameday show with:

Davis (Bama)
Herbstreit (tOSU)
Howard (UM)
McAfee (WVU)
Corpse-so (FSU)

is not starting off in a good place.

Wait what? I haven't been following the Meatball Ron Vs The House that Mickey Built but Disney was getting 350M in tax payer money? The fuck?
Wasn't for Disney. It was for rebates on energy efficient household appliances, which is something top of mind given people have been looking for ways to cut down on the energy they're using as energy costs have been skyrocketing over the last couple of years and are going to continue to.

Which is on top of slashing 150MM in money for education spending and 100MM in towards easements for farming and cattle operations (aka groceries)

For the record, I have too much crap to do on Saturday morning to actually watch any of these shows. It's just background noise. But a Gameday show with:

Davis (Bama)
Herbstreit (tOSU)
Howard (UM)
McAfee (WVU)
Corpse-so (FSU)

I like Rece Davis alright. All of the others just make me sad/annoyed for various reasons.

Davis (Bama)
Herbstreit (tOSU)
Howard (UM)
McAfee (WVU)
Corpse-so (FSU)

Big and Rich don’t help kick it off either.

It sucks that Big rocks a top hat in the worst way possible.

I like how people accuse ESPN of being WOKE ! but their biggest(?) pregame show shares the same theme song as Hannity's radio show

This is an interesting point that is a bit iffy. If you are an incoming freshman you aren’t supposed to be able to get NIL deals until you are enrolled, right? If so, then the deadline for signing a pro contract or enrolling is very very close together.

Davis (Bama)
Herbstreit (tOSU)
Howard (UM)
McAfee (WVU)
Corpse-so (FSU)

Well, maybe ESPN should hire a bunch of guys who never went to college to ensure the asinine opinions expressed at least aren't biased.

Disney is struggling for myriad reasons, but that little meatball isn't one of them. 99% of visitors to their parks give 2 fucks about their politics. They care about cost and quality, one of which has been going way up while the other goes down.

It's always interesting how the people who accuse Disney of being unnecessarily political are the ones who get unnecessarily political about ESPN.

• signing something that slashed the workforce in two industries that already had a pretty sizable labor shortage probably isn’t great
  • cancelling ~350MM in federal funding (which has been one of if not the largest driver of Florida’s economic boom since 2019) for consumers when the cost of living is skyrocketing in FL while wages are lagging doesn’t exactly scream economic boost.

$350MM in fed funding represents approximately 0.025% of Florida's $1.4T in GDP.

In addition, FL ranks 38th in the state federal dependency ranking (https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/) as only 20% of state revenue is derived from federal funding.

How will the state of FL ever survive this???

Better vote Andrew Gillum in 2024!!

$350MM in fed funding represents approximately 0.025% of Florida's $1.4T in GDP.

In addition, FL ranks 38th in the state federal dependency ranking (https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/) as only 20% of state revenue is derived from federal funding.

How will the state of FL ever survive this???

Better vote Andrew Gillum in 2024!!
DeSantis did a great job creating Florida's beaches and tourism industry. couldn't have done it without him.

Could you imagine a Disney that simply entertained people and put shareholder interest as priority #1?

Could you imagine what DIS shareholders (including many employees who are gasp gay gasp) think about the stock price currently trading at a 9 year low and the 50%+ loss in value just over the past two years?

Virtue signaling can be quite the expensive hobby.

Back